share rss forum feed

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

[Business] Comcast reset or changed cusadmin password on SMC D3G

I noticed my cable modem graphs (SNR, power levels, etc) were not updating, so I decided to login to the SMC D3G to see if they had changed the HTML again.

It's worse. They have done something that has reset the cusadmin password. My old password does not work, nor does the default ("highspeed").

Anyone else notice this? How do I get back into the modem? Will business support reset the password or give me the current password? I hope this is not a policy change to remove user-logins from the SMC D3G, because that will really tick me off.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

Re: [Business] Comcast reset or changed cusadmin password on SMC

Found a thread from a few weeks ago that says it is likely the result of them pushing the old firmware back, so I'll give them a call and ask them to reset the cusadmin password.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to pflog
35 minute hold time? WTF?

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by pflog:

35 minute hold time? WTF?

Could be worse. When I call my HR department, the phone system always says the same thing "You are caller 1 in queue 1." and it takes me 45 minutes to speak with someone in HR!
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to pflog
They are having business class email issues right now. That could be the hold time issue.

»[E-mail] Business Class SMTP outage?

J__M__M

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to pflog
Anyone else notice this? How do I get back into the modem? Will business support reset the password or give me the current password? I hope this is not a policy change to remove user-logins from the SMC D3G, because that will really tick me off.

Yes, on 5 different units
Call and they will reset
No, not a policy change.

On the official message boards, Comcast denied it when I asked indirectly, then ignored my more direct follow up.

It would have been nice if they said something, since forgotten passwords can cost you (at least a keyboard). It never occurred to me that they could reset the password without wiping the config-- I just happened to mention it while calling about something else. The tech didn't sound terribly surprised that I forgot what is basically the default password to my brain (I've been using it awhile).

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
The entire issue was caused when they had to roll back the firmware after an upgrade. It was an unintentional consequence that I am sure probably not everyone is still aware of. Out of all the business people out there, how many really actually log into the SMC unit?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
I would bet not many

most likely treat it as an ethernet hand off.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
The only resolution you'll have is to perform a hard reset of the SMC gateway - this will reset the username/password - so hopefully you're not in a retail location like we were.

Had to wait until after our hours to perform the action, as it would've taken down all connectivity in our store.

Yes - it was a pain, as we also lost some DMZ and port forwarding settings.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
Do NOT do this without being on the phone with support. If you have static IP's the entire configuration WILL be wiped and support will have to rebuild the config and push it back down to your SMC.

How do I know? I did this on someone's advice and was without connectivity until I got through Tier 1 and had to wait for Tier 2 to call me back.

So make sure you are on the phone with Tier 2 before doing this. And from what I found out, Tier 1 cannot reset the user/pass either as there is some sort of a config file difference between the two different versions of firmware that is causing the issue.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
Weird - I called into business support (quite a while ago when this happened) and they reset the password in about a minute. Without screwing up my static (5 IP) config at all.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
said by JohnInSJ:

Weird - I called into business support (quite a while ago when this happened) and they reset the password in about a minute. Without screwing up my static (5 IP) config at all.

The tier 1 support that I worked with could not get the SMC to take the updates. In fact, now that I think back, it was Tier 1 that recommended I use the reset button on the back of the SMC to do the hard reset. Hence, it wiped my entire configuration, I could login to the SMC again though, and I was down until Tier 2 rebuilt and pushed my config.

The warning I was trying to give here is NOT to do a hard reset as it will wipe your config and you will have to have support push it back out to the SMC.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to ropeguru
When I called in Tier 1 sorted it rather fast

I was actually happy with the newer firmware but it seems they downgraded everyone back to the old firmware so suddenly I couldn't login to it and my ASP page failed to pull the data.

WheatridgeCO

@comcastbusiness.net
Same happened to our SMC D3G, they changed the PW in about 5 minutes in the Denver Metro. This happened in June 2012. we also did not lose our static-5 setup either.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to pflog
Our service went down last Monday after business hours. I logged into the modem and found it in a boot loop. Called support. After listening to the usual "clear you cookies...plug directly into the modem" routine, then setup a truck roll.

The service was back up the next morning, the truck never showed, *and* I can't login to the modem with the usual cusadmin/highspeed credentials that worked on Monday.

Maybe they'll start using decent quality CPE hardware for business users someday.