join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

[Cable TV] All Local HD Channels Breaking up/Pixilated

802, 806, 807, 809, 820, 828...

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
Above channels are now unwatchable, as there completely pixilated with no sound. Other HD channels OK. (830 & 835)

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
reply to wth
Mediacom call ctr jammed...... (1-855-633-4226)

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
reply to wth
SD local channels are pixilated/broken and are now un watchable.

Toolmandbq

join:2005-08-06
Dubuque, IA
reply to wth
This happen to me 3 times. Got the standard answer that they need to send a tech out thefirst time. So I waited for the tech and it turned out to be the computer on their end. The next time I had to talk to a superviser and they were able to reset my system. You will probably see more channels going down if it is on their end.

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
reply to wth
I'm sure it's a headend problem since the other HD channels are OK, like ESPN or TNT or USA.

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
reply to wth
SD local channels are back but still show pixilated at times. HD locals are still unwatchable, major breaking up/ no sound. And with the Olympics starting in a couple of days .....

OldCableGuy

@planetcr.net
Sounds like a signal problem to me, in Cedar Rapids at least the locals are all at the top end of the band (114, 115, 119) so those would show signal problems first. Probably need to have a tech out.

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
reply to wth
I contacted Mediacomchad last night. Later last night he hit both of my boxes ( one is a DVR & one is just a hd box) and this am both are just fine. What was interesting was the other hd channels were ok, such as TNT or USA or Espn.

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to OldCableGuy
said by OldCableGuy :

Sounds like a signal problem to me, in Cedar Rapids at least the locals are all at the top end of the band (114, 115, 119) so those would show signal problems first. Probably need to have a tech out.

You suppose this could be a heat related problem with an amp a couple of poles back towards the node? Because the problem is back, starting around 5:30 tonight.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117
DO you see this issue at certain times during the day/night?

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
It was perfect today until about 5:30pm then got real pixilated. It only lasted until about 7:30-8pm, then cleared up. Channels would still "load". On Monday pm, local channels were so bad that they wouldn't load, as I would get the channel will be available shortly message. Same as Monday, local channels pixilated, other channels like ESPN, TNT, USA were OK. Here's a little food for thought: Mondays high was 104, today (Tue) 94. Tomorrows forecast: 105. If it's heat related, local HD channels should be real bad by 3pm tomorrow. No problems with HSI.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
The heat can cause these issues, but usually you would see an issue with both services. When did first notice this happening?

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by MediacomChad:

The heat can cause these issues, but usually you would see an issue with both services. When did first notice this happening?

Basically on Monday night 7/23. Don't remember about last weekend, as there's hardly anything we watch/dvr off the local/big 4 networks.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I can schedule for a tech to come out and take a look at the lines if you'd like.

OldCableGuy

@planetcr.net
reply to wth
Doubt it is an amp probably your drop, or a splitter, those are most likely to cause problem in the heat. Amps are quite warm to begin with so warm temperatures don't cause much issue. Not saying it's impossible just highly unlikely.

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to wth
Today with a high temp of 104, there was only a little tiling/pixilating (nothing like Monday night) that started about 4:45pm (most noticeable on 807/KWWL) and lasted only a couple of hours, which kinda blew my theory about a temp problem. I'll look to see what Thur will bring.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Ok, let me know if you see any change.

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to wth
Same problem again on 7/30 and again today from about 3-7pm. I have confirmed that my neighbour has the exact same problem, plus she also looses her internet connection (I don't). Also, we are both connected to the same tap on the pole and she had a mediacom tech out at her house about 4-5 weeks ago that spent about 2 hours at her house.

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to wth
Update: Tech came out today, and to make a long story short, this problem, has been fairly heat related, as it was a problem Tue (95 degrees) but today there was no problem as it only made it up to 82 degrees. But what the tech discovered was the signal level in the home and at the tap is way to high. So he's going to have a plant maint crew either adjust or replace the amp that's 2 poles upstream from the house in the next couple of days.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I will keep an eye on that maintenance order.

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to wth
Talked to a tech today that was in the neighbourhood and what had happened was there was a section of feeder cable that had been damaged that was between me & the node. Mediacom had done a temp fix by using a jumper/bypass piece of cable until a lineman crew could do a permanent repair. So with the temp patch/repair in place, they had turned up an amp between the node & temp repair to compensate for the temp cable. When a new permanent cable was hung on the span of 2-3 overhead poles & reconnected into the system, they never turned down the amp output power after the repair. So we should be good to go now.
Thanks 'Chad for your assistance.

OldCableGuy

@communications.net
Goes to show too much signal can cause just as many problems as too little signal.

wth
Premium
Iowa City,IA
reply to wth
Looking at cable modem stats, there now snr 36.6, DStream PL 2.3, and Ustream PL is 46.7.