Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

Google Begins Practically Begging You to Use Your Real Name

»betabeat.com/2012/07/start-using···message/ from »yro.slashdot.org/story/12/07/23/···-youtube ...

No thanks! I will stop posting in YouTube then!
--
Ant @ »antfarm.ma.cx and »aqfl.net. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use the forum! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Well they can know my first name

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
"along with a side-by-side comparison to what it will look like if you let YouTube pull your name from Google+"

Yeah.....about that...Google+ doesn't have it either.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

3 recommendations

reply to antdude
Real name? What real name and why would I do that? If I don't use my real name in most places on the Net, why in the name of heaven would I do it with Google. Oh, yeah. My real name is heaven!

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

2 recommendations

reply to antdude
Oh, you mean YouTube You could probably log-in under an assumed Gmail account of which many of us have many for various reasons, aka throw-away accounts.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

2 recommendations

reply to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

My real name is heaven!

There's no J's or K's in "heaven"
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

2 recommendations

reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

Oh, you mean YouTube You could probably log-in under an assumed Gmail account of which many of us have many for various reasons, aka throw-away accounts.

I love my throwaway account:

smith@yopmail.com

--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to antdude
I've been using my real name on the internet for 10 years.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to antdude
Depends on what you are doing online. For youtube just use a throw away account.

My wife nuked a facebook account once. Not really because of everyone that could see her but that she could see them.

She became a manager within the last few years. Seeing friends of friends and every now underling staff etc. became too much. Her staff she just trained etc. Like don't use facebook to post at work how much you drank the night before and how hung over you are then go break HIPPA by complaining about patients and giving enough info someone may recognize them if it was a smaller town.
She went back online later with a new account and now hopefully friends of friends do not come back.
So unless you are having a fun account you do not want association with what is the big deal? You do not put stuff online you do not want others to see or think came from you.

But if you want a throwaway youtube account do it. How are they going to know it is fake? Plus unless you are totally illegal enough to get cops tracking you down having a fake account will not get you thrown in jail or hurt your credit rating or have any bad side effects except maybe someday gets cancelled then you being fake do not get it back.

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Real name? What real name and why would I do that? If I don't use my real name in most places on the Net, why in the name of heaven would I do it with Google. Oh, yeah. My real name is heaven!

There are a ton of people that do post with their real identity even on this site. Tends to be in the technical forums and not the social like youtube. It is all in how, what, when, where, etc. you post. Having a real persona is not lethal or bad depends on what you are doing with it.
For real net persona I have PO Box voip numbers etc. Places me in a large metro town. Not at my exact house.
Plus on the sad side just going to a movie can end up bad. It is all in controlling the risk not eliminating it. Plus fake ID is good for posting those videos of yourself being dumb. Oh wait it is a video of you and someone just recognized you even though it is anonymous. That is where tons of people go wrong. A fake account with enough real content it is trackable anyways. Fake ID but a real you.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
I still have no problem and wouldn't post, intentionally, my real name. What for? Everything on the net is traceable, but there's no reason to be asked or forced to be overt about it.

SafireDonkey
Premium
join:2006-10-29
reply to antdude
It is as if you, from now, need to tell your name when asking for a magazine in a local store.

"Hi, I'm Luke DePalma and I want the latest edition of "White chicks with bananas" please.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to jaykaykay
Ok, my last name is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
reply to antdude
I am a HAL 9000... I am a HAL 9000... I am a Hal 9000...

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to antdude
g+ didnt like me using "pcdebb" so they blocked my account and made me fix it.
--
| map your city |

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

I am a HAL 9000...

Open the pod bay doors HAL.
--

nonymous
Premium
Glendale, AZ
reply to SafireDonkey
said by SafireDonkey:

It is as if you, from now, need to tell your name when asking for a magazine in a local store.

"Hi, I'm Luke DePalma and I want the latest edition of "White chicks with bananas" please.

No it is not. Posting to youtube may I said may require your name. Not seeing youtube, Seeing requires laughing at the poster nothing else.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to antdude
You know, I've been using some pseudonyms for so many years that I actually have to stop at times to remember my real name. If asked what my name is, my longest-running pseudonym is the name that first pops into my head.

I just looked up what Google+ was. Why on earth would I want to use that service?

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to SafireDonkey
said by SafireDonkey:

If you have such an interest in bananas, shouldn't you be Safire MONKEY instead of Safire Donkey?

Shadow01
Premium
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland
reply to antdude
I have used the name Bill Clinton for years when a name if required. I have signed many ups deliveries that way. I guess if Google requires a real name, I can continue to use Bill Clinton without issue.
--
»the53.tumblr.com/

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 edits
reply to antdude
Looks like I may have to pick a real name if I ever use the services of Google+.

I always liked Al Woolcott, Frank Adams, Heywood Broun, Dotty Parker, Bob Benchley ...

I notice I can sign into Youtube with no nags, probably since I don't have a Google+ account.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Hl9_fwDyU

If you drink enough beer, any challenge sounds like fun.

oldmike

join:2005-04-14
Latonia, KY
reply to antdude
My name is Google. That's Mr. Google to you.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
reply to antdude
Wonder what Mark Twain would have said about this?

Sorry, not witty enough to come up with a saying that he may have written in response to Google's needs.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."
~Mark Twain

--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
reply to antdude
I'm moving in the opposite direction.
At the start of this year I removed my last name from my former dslr user name for added privacy.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

But, you are the 'One'.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to antdude
Hell, I got multiple pseudonyms. This is the only place on the net where I go by the handle "sivran." (well, anymore, anyway...)
--
Think Outside the Fox.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Snowy
said by Snowy:

I'm moving in the opposite direction.
At the start of this year I removed my last name from my former dslr user name for added privacy.

your last name is "One"?
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

»betabeat.com/2012/07/start-using···message/ from »yro.slashdot.org/story/12/07/23/···-youtube ...

No thanks! I will stop posting in YouTube then!

Why post in YouTube in the first place ? That said ..

"We realize that using your full name isn’t for everyone. Maybe people know you by your YouTube username. Perhaps you don’t want your name publicly associated with your channel. To continue using your YouTube username, just click “I don’t want to use my full name” when you see the prompt.”

»youtube-global.blogspot.com/2012···ube.html

Seems simple enough to me..so no one seems to be begging excepts bloggers who are looking for 15 secs. of flame.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
that's what I did. Then it asked for why, and I told them I wasn't sure.