KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: Google Begins Practically Begging You to Use Your Real Name

"Because I don't want to get harassed and attacked by various whackjobs and nutcases out there who have an axe to grind, who may seek to get me fired from my job, harass my family or friends, or even result to crimes against me and my property. I'd hate to have to take Google to court for enabling such behavior."

There's my answer.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

that's what I did. Then it asked for why, and I told them I wasn't sure.

Do you think it will stop nasty comments ?

»m.smh.com.au/technology/technolo···opa.html

The news comes one month after a YouTube developer at the Google I/O conference said the site would be undergoing some changes to prevent bullying in the comments section.
YouTube is also allowing users to review existing content.
“Maybe you posted a few things way back (all those “I love you Biebs!!” comments?) that you’d rather not associate with publicly,” YouTube said. “By clicking ‘Review my content,’ you can see every video, comment or playlist you’ve ever posted, and decide whether you want it associated with your full name before making the change.”

--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Snowy
said by Snowy:

said by AVD:

Snowy See Profile is female.

That's a common misunderstanding.
Because of my kinder, sensitive & warm style of posting I'm often confused with the fairer sex.

sorry bro, confused you with someone else.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
reply to Rogue Wolf
said by Rogue Wolf:

And his brother, Wang Hang Lo?

I thought his brother was Wang Hang Hi
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to KrK
said by KrK:

"Because I don't want to get harassed and attacked by various whackjobs and nutcases out there who have an axe to grind, who may seek to get me fired from my job, harass my family or friends, or even result to crimes against me and my property. I'd hate to have to take Google to court for enabling such behavior."

There's my answer.

Absolutely!. this is a REALLY stupid idea that Google came up with. Youtube went down the tubes when it was sold to Google!!. now you have to expose yourself to nutcases to sign in to Youtube? btw, you HAVE to sign in if you want to watch "flagged" videos!!. wasn't Google involved in a WiFi scandal that breached the privacy of users?. hmmm.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

you don't know. You are not required to associate your real name with your comments or video submissions (yet)

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
i agree with KrK's post, above.. i want to protect my online-privacy to help to protect me from being targetted by "whackjobs and nutcases who have an ax to grind".. google doesn't seem to be taking that into consideration..

i tried to check out the situation at "youtube" but i didn't see anything, there, about their wanting to display my real name.. if "google" did try to display my real name, i would close my google and youtube accounts.. that is probably the best thing that people could do.. if google tries to strip people of their online-privacy, just close their google accounts.. then google will see that people don't want their online-privacy stripped by google and maybe they will reconsider doing that..

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
reply to StuartMW
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
I never did learn how to spell that!!!

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

But, you are the 'One'.

I thought Neo was the "One". :P

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

Prove it. ;P

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

said by antdude:

said by AVD:

Prove it. ;P

Uhh... do you really want to go there?
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Blackbird:

said by antdude:

said by AVD:

Prove it. ;P

Uhh... do you really want to go there?

Then, we how do we know if Snowy is really a female. Let's see her driver license! [grin]
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

It's my understanding that copies of public records can be hard to obtain in Hawaii...

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

Not to worry. With Photoshop and high-resolution laser printers one can create as many public records as one needs
--

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
said by StuartMW:

Not to worry. With Photoshop and high-resolution laser printers one can create as many public records as one needs

I have it from a good source that he does not want anyone to know who she is..or maybe it's the other way around.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by Name Game:

said by StuartMW:

I have it from a good source that he does not want anyone to know who she is..or maybe it's the other way around.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I read that you write, but I'm not sure you realize that what I read is not what you meant.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
I need a couple of Advil after trying to interpret that

Are you sure you don't work for the gummint?
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

Maybe Snowy See Profile is a hermaphrodite
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
did you really link to wikipedia?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Um, yeah. Pretty sure that's a llink

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
Surprisingly Good Evidence That Real Name Policies Fail To Improve Comments
quote:
YouTube has joined a growing list of social media companies who think that forcing users to use their real names will make comment sections less of a Trolling Wasteland, but there’s surprisingly good evidence from South Korea that real name policies fail at cleaning up comments. In 2007, South Korea temporarily mandated that all websites with over 100,000 viewers require real names, but scrapped it after it was found to be ineffective at cleaning up abusive and malicious comments (the policy reduced unwanted comments by an estimated .09%). We don’t know how this hidden gem of evidence skipped the national debate on real identities, but it’s an important lesson for YouTube, Facebook and Google, who have assumed that fear of judgement will change online behavior for the better.
--
siljaline

Here at Mountain View Chocolate, we’re committed to transparency and choice

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to StuartMW
I'm just saying, did you really think we needed a link?

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state

1 recommendation

reply to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

if "google" did try to display my real name, i would close my google and youtube accounts.. that is probably the best thing that people could do.. if google tries to strip people of their online-privacy, just close their google accounts.. then google will see that people don't want their online-privacy stripped by google and maybe they will reconsider doing that..

This right here. I agree! If Google start this type of policy, i'll just delete my Google and Youtube accounts and be done with it. Not a big deal.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

said by Woody79_00:

said by redwolfe_98:

if "google" did try to display my real name, i would close my google and youtube accounts.. that is probably the best thing that people could do.. if google tries to strip people of their online-privacy, just close their google accounts.. then google will see that people don't want their online-privacy stripped by google and maybe they will reconsider doing that..

This right here. I agree! If Google start this type of policy, i'll just delete my Google and Youtube accounts and be done with it. Not a big deal.

they realize it, I think this is why they are not requiring that the youtube account be linked to realname.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by AVD:

said by Woody79_00:

said by redwolfe_98:

they realize it, I think this is why they are not requiring that the youtube account be linked to realname.

Let's hope they never do it!
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.