kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: Google Begins Practically Begging You to Use Your Real Name

Surprisingly Good Evidence That Real Name Policies Fail To Improve Comments

quote:
YouTube has joined a growing list of social media companies who think that forcing users to use their real names will make comment sections less of a Trolling Wasteland, but there’s surprisingly good evidence from South Korea that real name policies fail at cleaning up comments. In 2007, South Korea temporarily mandated that all websites with over 100,000 viewers require real names, but scrapped it after it was found to be ineffective at cleaning up abusive and malicious comments (the policy reduced unwanted comments by an estimated .09%). We don’t know how this hidden gem of evidence skipped the national debate on real identities, but it’s an important lesson for YouTube, Facebook and Google, who have assumed that fear of judgement will change online behavior for the better.
--
siljaline

Here at Mountain View Chocolate, we’re committed to transparency and choice

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

I'm just saying, did you really think we needed a link?

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state

1 recommendation

reply to redwolfe_98

said by redwolfe_98:

if "google" did try to display my real name, i would close my google and youtube accounts.. that is probably the best thing that people could do.. if google tries to strip people of their online-privacy, just close their google accounts.. then google will see that people don't want their online-privacy stripped by google and maybe they will reconsider doing that..

This right here. I agree! If Google start this type of policy, i'll just delete my Google and Youtube accounts and be done with it. Not a big deal.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by Woody79_00:

said by redwolfe_98:

if "google" did try to display my real name, i would close my google and youtube accounts.. that is probably the best thing that people could do.. if google tries to strip people of their online-privacy, just close their google accounts.. then google will see that people don't want their online-privacy stripped by google and maybe they will reconsider doing that..

This right here. I agree! If Google start this type of policy, i'll just delete my Google and Youtube accounts and be done with it. Not a big deal.

they realize it, I think this is why they are not requiring that the youtube account be linked to realname.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by AVD:

said by Woody79_00:

said by redwolfe_98:

they realize it, I think this is why they are not requiring that the youtube account be linked to realname.

Let's hope they never do it!
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.