spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AnonMan

@comcast.net

[Signals] New install, signals not ideal?

So got a new install, Blast and seem to be on 25/4 constant with 35/5 powerboost.

I was given a Ubee modem to rent while I wait for my Cisco 3008 which would be free after rebates from the reseller I went with.

My line from ped straight to modem is 100% new as of today by comcast.

Installer put a splitter on line due to downstream power being too high however still is high and my upstream is also high I am seeing now after he left and I can look myself.

Below are stats after being up for about 30 min.

DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 597000000 621000000 627000000 633000000
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y
Channel Id 1 5 6 7
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 5.360537 5.360537 5.360537 5.360537
Interleave Depth I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4 I=32
J=4
Power Level
(dBmV) 11.02 10.98 9.80 8.84
RxMER
(dB) 35.97 36.61 36.39 36.17
Correctable
Codewords 28 33 22 19
Uncorrectable
Codewords 631 680 637 760

US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 2.0 N/A N/A 2.0
Channel ID 8 N/A N/A 9
Frequency
(Hz) 34800000 N/A N/A 27900000
Ranging Status Success N/A N/A Success
Modulation 64QAM N/A N/A 64QAM
Symbol Rate
(KSym/sec) 5120 N/A N/A 5120
Mini-Slot Size 4 N/A N/A 4
Power Level
(dBmV) 48.50 N/A N/A 48.75

The line is straight through on the wall to modem so I am sure no hidden amps or anything.

This leads me to think the ped is pushing too much power and/or someone also has something dirty on it or something.

Thoughts? Or am I within enough that I shouldn't complain? Based on my searches my upstream is on bleeding edge and downstream too high though I see some spots say downstream under 10 okay and others say should be 5 or less..

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
You are fine, -10 to 10dBm is the place where it should be.

So you are 5 right now, and your upstream is 48 which is closer to 58 max but still within range of where it's supposed to be so you are fine.

AnonMan

@comcast.net
Where you get 5 from?

It says:

Power Level
(dBmV) 11.02 10.98 9.80 8.8

That is my downstream, which is over 10?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to AnonMan
New lines, Its hot outside, No tvs, Your going to have a little bit of a hot signal. thats normal. probably going to find when you get your new modem that the signals change. They really dont change its just modems are not the most acurate at reading signal levels. In other words if you are not having problems dont worry about it.

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
When the Temperature goes up here the download power level goes down. Maybe it's different with different pedestals.

Cable Employ

join:2012-07-23
Saint Paul, MN
reply to AnonMan
When the temperature get colder, the signals will go up, when the temperature get warmer, the signal will go down. It is because of the expansion and contraction of the cable. Most systems use some sort of gain control in amps, some are based on temperature, some are based on signal levels. These both only work to about 3-5db.

Since you only have internet, with no video, you are going to have higher levels. They system is designed for the average house having at least a two way splitter feeding two different locations, or more locations.

AnonMan

@comcast.net
reply to Streetlight
My power level has stayed between 10-11 on the downside. The SNR dropped down to 35 from the 36 it was which means it got worse. From the looks the power level is indeed creeping up as it cools down and SNR getting worse. Makes me wonder what happens in the winter.

As far as modems not being accurate, yes I know different equipment reads different. When the guy was hear after he put on the 2way splitter to bring it down some his tech meter read 10.4 on the one channel it tested for so it indeed is over 10 which my understanding is bad for D3 happy modems no?

I just want to make sure I don't burn out my modem or have any issues being on the edge like this on clear day and come winter get screwed or even before winter have random issues as this 30 day window is the time to make or break and me decide for sure.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to Streetlight
different peds in different dimensions.
--
I'm better than you!

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to AnonMan
your fine stop worrying and over analyzing....going from 36 to 36 is NOTHING....

+10 is fine....again dont worry most business modems, and HSI only customers get around that level due to lack of splitters/cable loss.
--
I'm better than you!

AnonMan

@comcast.net
Aye aye I shall ignore it I guess and see how things go.

Thanks everyone for input.

As for everyone's comment about me being HSI only that shouldn't matter, as stated I have a splitter on the line (which with TV would be the same) and cable length, hell I am so long from ped they wanted to use RG11 just no one near by had any to bring him. I am around 200 feet from ped so it's a good long run with decent cable loss already helping lol he decided i don't need the RG11 after seeing it was high before the splitter was added and still high after splitter. He didn't want to add a bigger splitter or anything else due to upstream being a bit high.

Oh well, enough people had told me stfu and it's fine that I will now I am just an anal picky person and like things perfect, even though in my world nothing ever is lol

Thanks again everyone for the info!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to SHoTTa35
said by SHoTTa35 :

which is closer to 58 max but still within range of where it's supposed to be so you are fine.

Hmmm, I've seen connectivity issues and spontaneous modem re-boots at levels just over 50 dB depending on ones unique operating environment, the local cable plant specs, the modem's measuring mechanism accuracy, the return path modulation being used, so blanket statements of a max of "58dB" are inaccurate. That is typically the quoted max of the modem manufacturer and not necessarily real life field conditions. That was a static one time measurement. Perhaps it is fluctuating higher intermittently.

Streetlight

Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit
reply to AnonMan
Your signals are OK. Not great, but ok. Downstream Power Levels at at around 11 dBmV are a bit high. Depending on modem, some will say they should be between -15 dBmV and +15 dBmV. The download signal:noise ratios are also ok. My experience is that if they drop to 31 dB signals will drop out and it may be time to get a tech out. For upload power levels, again, yours look ok. Again, my experience with a Zoom 5341H is that if they get to 52 dBmV you may have problems. Other modems may tolerate higher values.

The basic deal is if you see these numbers getting to upper or lower values as appropriate and you get lost internet which becomes annoying, it's time to call Comcast for a tech visit. When this happened to me last summer the tech found substantial ingress signal in the buried line between the pedestal and the house. Replacement solved the problem. Of course, other things might need repair. Don't worry about things until a problem shows up. YMMV.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

AnonMan

@sct.com
Yea, I understand that. I am just more in hopes of avoiding the problem instead of waiting until it peaks it's head and getting help.

The lines from my house to ped is new and the line to that ped from the other ped (as daisy chained ped) are new as of 3 years ago.

So my thought is either amp is turned up to much on ped (as is an amped on) or someone has dirty line connected to it or both.

Oh well doesn't sound like much i can do but see how it goes. I just wanted to avoid any issues ahead of time was all.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Your splitter only drops the signal 3.5 db. Comcast specs their system to mantain 0 db after three tvs plus extra drop for line lenghth.. Downstream signal goes up in hot weather.

taz291819

join:2002-08-31
Huntsville, AL
reply to AnonMan
If you don't have problems, don't worry about it.

Though, at 200 feet from the tap, they really should have used RG11.

If you do have problems, just make sure to let the CSR know, so a tech will bring out RG11 next time.

AnonMan

@comcast.net
I think RG11 would give me even more signal making it worse.

So I installed the new Cisco modem and seems even stronger now and yes I left the splitter on to help cut it down lol

Also noticed this newer FW on this model compared to most with this modem on Jan or Aug release and Jan had issues.

Default login admin/admin no worky though so can't see if anything else in menu. Always nice to own my own modem and yet not allowed to log into it.

Model: Cisco DPC3008
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0
MAC Address: REDACTED
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.1_R3
Current Software Revision: d3000-v302r125532-120517a-L2VPN-CMCST
Firmware Name: d3000-v302r125532-120517a-L2VPN-CMCST.bin
Firmware Build Time: May 17 11:31:04 2012
Cable Modem Status: Operational
Wireless Network:

Cable Modem State

DOCSIS Downstream Scanning: Completed
DOCSIS Ranging: Completed
DOCSIS DHCP: Completed
DOCSIS TFTP: Completed
DOCSIS Data Reg Complete: Completed
DOCSIS Privacy: Enabled

Downstream Channels

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 13.4 dBmV 40.0 dB
Channel 2: 13.1 dBmV 39.8 dB
Channel 3: 13.7 dBmV 39.9 dB
Channel 4: 13.7 dBmV 39.6 dB
Channel 5: 12.9 dBmV 39.5 dB
Channel 6: 12.3 dBmV 39.5 dB
Channel 7: 11.4 dBmV 39.1 dB
Channel 8: 10.8 dBmV 38.7 dB

Upstream Channels

Power Level:
Channel 1: 47.5 dBmV
Channel 2: 47.3 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

taz291819

join:2002-08-31
Huntsville, AL
They need to "tune" that tap. It's too hot on the DS. And your US is fine just for internet only, but it's not great.

For instance, I too get internet only from Comcast, and my US is 42dB.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
They are NOT tuning a tap based on what a modem says. Keep in mind signal does NOT change With modems. Its just the inability for a modem to give 100 percent true levels. Its about where i would expect levels to be with all new lines and one 2 way splitter. A tap is tuned for the area and they are not dropping tap levels for one person that only has two outlets.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to Streetlight
Quick review, your downstream is hot I would not bat an eye at that, I might put in a line call if the levels at the tap are hot to find out why. But truthfully +11 is not causing an SNR issue on your modem so no one cares but some bean counter who decided to write down a range up the road and people who run off at the mouth here. You have good SNR? You have good BER? Then you can go sit on the actual reported levels from a modem which is not a scientifically calibrated instrument by any means and known to often report stuff wrong by anyone who actually works in the field.

You probably run off old plant with a 26 value tap and a hot LE next to it. It's not unheard of by any means.

Your return is not bleeding edge that's some made up arm chair tech term, but I am concerned [not alarmed, concerned] that if you have 0 splitters on the path from the tap to the modem, why its 48, though if you are indeed off a 26 value tap 20 + 26 = 46, 2 db for line loss attenuation/insertion loss for GB/outlet is not unheard of and may be perfectly normal.

^^^^^^^^^^^

That's a reality check right there for all the thoerycrafting that goes on here. There is no such thing as a superior level for downstream or upstream, it either generating errors [MER{SNR}/BER] or its not, and if its not, its all horse pucky theorycrafting after that. What people want is a lot of pointless playroom they are not going to get until they learn how to alter reality. I want to be at 0 and 45 cus it gives me the most change room, sorry folks not going to happen unless you happen to buy your house near just the right tap value with just the right distance to run a drop and outlet, etc.. and then the temp will change and it will no longer be there, or a new housing development will go in next to you and the plant will get modified. That's life, deal with it, if you are having issues, report them, if your not, quit looking at stuff you do NOT understand and letting non-technicans at this web site tell you its bad when there is nothing wrong. Your speed tests rocks? You have 0% packet loss? Then quit looking for made up problems per dlsr fans.

Streetlight

Colorado Springs, CO
flwpwr,

We're on the same page. I don't think the OP reported any loss in Internet, so there's no real reason now to be too worried. When the Internet connection drops out a few times a day, time to call in a tech. Things may change this winter if the OP lives where it gets cold. If he's in Florida, probably things will stay the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Of course if one depends on Comcast for phone service (911 service), that might be different. But then in that situation one needs to keep a charged, working cell phone around.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

AnonMan

@sct.com
Have not seen any internet drops but on this new modem no way to monitor that as no events spot?

Also, on the other modem (UBEE) it did show a high error count rate for 24 hour periods, like in the 5000-6000 range for uncorrectable and correctable per channel per day. (and when I say uncorrectable and correctable I mean seperate so 10000-12000 combined.

This modem I don't see this information any place and dont know if another login exist to let me see more.

Doesn't uncorrectble mean data/packet loss thus a retransmit was required? Wouldn't that impact ones connection somewhat?

AnonMan

@comcast.net
reply to AnonMan
Well having drops indeed, seems I didn't know before because of the time of day they happen.

Between 12AM & 9 AM everyday it seems to drop at least once.
Also during those times my DS is at 14.2.

Just called comcast again today and he said my signals are within spec though all in the yellow.

As it is daytime right now he read 13.1DS and 49US but said my US quality is 28 and red is 29. He said all my numbers are basically in the yellow but not red though they are all only one jump away from red during the hours of my drops.

From tap to modem is all new with one two way splitter in between.

Monday a guy comes, though during the day the signal goes down to 10-11 so by the time they get here will look even better. Hopefully something can be done at tap though.

I know a tap is not adjusted for a single customer but my house is furthest from the tap and I still have one splitter on the line so I should have worse signal than any customer on the line due to distance and having a splitter. I can imagine if the people right next to it must have for signal if my DS is so high so far lol. Unless they have a mess of splitters or something and lower signal thus comcast cranked it at ped to make up instead of making customer clean up.

My US speed seems to struggle between 3 and 4 sometimes too though other times 5 is no problem. Maybe has to do with the quality being at the limit.

Anyway just wanted to update that indeed every number being in the yellow is causing problems for me just didnt catch before due to times of problem which is also when is coolest.

AnonMan

@comcast.net
Complain to exec services high enough and you get action! Sad that as a new Comcast customer took 2 weeks of complaining and finally a jump the chain email to get someone to look.

Exec services called me today after a nasty email I sent yesterday, 2 hours later 2 maint men show up.

The found the amp on my ped set to manual mode and not ACL (Automatic) which means when temp swings the amp couldn't adjust itself to make up for that. (They said someone prob forgot to put in auto mode from a previous visit but also only maint people can adjust those).

They wanted to replace entire amp but turns out the one they had on track was DOA, hah but just putting in auto looks better.

Anyway they put in auto mode and boom US got better, US SNR went from 29 to 32 and US tx power went from 47-50 range to 45.

DS power is a tad high still but 10-11 beats the heck out of 13-14.5 it would hang in and if it hangs between 10 & 11 I am sure I will be fine on that. (this is going through a single splitter too).

Guss tonight will be real test when it cools down.

Model: Cisco DPC3008
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.1_R3
Current Software Revision: d3000-v302r125532-120517a-L2VPN-CMCST
Firmware Name: d3000-v302r125532-120517a-L2VPN-CMCST.bin
Firmware Build Time: May 17 11:31:04 2012
Cable Modem Status: Operational
Wireless Network:

Cable Modem State

DOCSIS Downstream Scanning: Completed
DOCSIS Ranging: Completed
DOCSIS DHCP: Completed
DOCSIS TFTP: Completed
DOCSIS Data Reg Complete: Completed
DOCSIS Privacy: Enabled

Downstream Channels

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 11.3 dBmV 40.9 dB
Channel 2: 10.8 dBmV 41.0 dB
Channel 3: 11.6 dBmV 41.1 dB
Channel 4: 11.8 dBmV 40.9 dB
Channel 5: 11.5 dBmV 40.9 dB
Channel 6: 11.1 dBmV 40.9 dB
Channel 7: 10.5 dBmV 40.4 dB
Channel 8: 9.6 dBmV 40.1 dB

Upstream Channels

Power Level:
Channel 1: 45.0 dBmV
Channel 2: 44.8 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

Everything on my account went from yellow to green but DS rx power but it's close. So long as the auto works on this thing when temp changes we should be good.

Note, this would only help people who are tied into an amped node which most are not so don't think this may be your same problem if you happen to have similar and stumble pass this post