Search similar:

uniqs

Gundy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

Gundy

Premium Member

LED/LCD TV as Monitor

So I was wasting some time at the local bestbuy yesterday and noticed they have a few LED/LCD 1080p TV's on sale for cheap (350-500) and I was curious on purchasing one for my needs. Specifically the LED's.

I've got a 720p ancient LG plasma 42'' that is a piece of work. The quality of the screen is trash, which I am assuming is the 720p. I use the TV for watching TV, as well as a second monitor at times ( to leave gaming maps up for when I game on my computer next to it ). Never to actually play games on. Or to watch streams on, however even when watching streams that project higher than 720 I am unable to read their chat text directly from their stream.

However I am contemplating using this ancient 720p in the family room, and purchasing a new TV for my room to use as new monitor (bigger) and to watch TV from.

The TV's on sale at bestbuy where ranging anywhere from 30-37'' but I have no idea what to look for when it comes to specs for the monitor setup? Anything I should be aware of for gaming off my PC onto a TV? Ghosting, refresh rates etc..? 60 or 120hz?

My monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW 22'', which is great for everything however it would be nice just to have something larger imo. And I could use it as a secondary monitor for chats when I stream games.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Bad idea. The pixels are huge and it's not meant to be used as a computer monitor. If you have that much to spend, buy one of the nice 27" knock-offs that use the same internals as Apple iMacs/Cinema Displays. Don't waste it on a bad TV.

Gundy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

Gundy

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Bad idea. The pixels are huge and it's not meant to be used as a computer monitor. If you have that much to spend, buy one of the nice 27" knock-offs that use the same internals as Apple iMacs/Cinema Displays. Don't waste it on a bad TV.

Any examples of these knockoffs? Was browsing BB and saw the most common size is 27''.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Yep!

»Re: Need a new 30" Monitor

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to Gundy

MVM

to Gundy
I went for the Auria EQ276W 27" 2560x1440 LED IPS monitor from Microcenter for ~$399.99:

»www.microcenter.com/sing ··· =0384780

Although it looks very little like the picture used on the Microcenter webpage:

»hardforum.com/showthread ··· =1694047

»www.pcper.com/reviews/Di ··· l-Affair

This is not exactly the same cheap Korean models off of eBay. Its a multi input model (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, audio mini jack) with HDCP support. It also comes with a warranty without the need of shipping the unit back to Korea (like the eBay deals) and Microcenter has a fairly good return policy.

Also, as I understand it, Microcenter will ship the Auria EQ276W 27" monitor so you don't necessarily have to have a store near you.

I like the unit I bought for my Wife so much I would like to buy another. IMO this is such a high quality production for less then half that of an Apple Cinema display.

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Go for a monitor. What sense wold buying a TV make!