share rss forum feed

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

[IPv6] Pulling IPv6 address, but no internet access

I'm connected directly to my SB6120, running Windows 7, and it's pulling an IPv6 address, however there does not appear to be outside IPv6 access, could this be a configuration problem on my end?

Can't ping ipv6.google.com, 0/10 on Comcast's IPv6 test system.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

Your IPv6 default gateway is also a local link address and not a gateway to the internet.

I don't know how to fix that.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
reply to nysports4evr

little odd you are getting a fe80:: address when you have what is the correct IPv6 DNS servers for comcast. you didn't happen to set this manually did you?

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by neufuse:

little odd you are getting a fe80:: address when you have what is the correct IPv6 DNS servers for comcast. you didn't happen to set this manually did you?

Nope. It's all DHCP. It may very well be a configuration error on Comcast's end, though, as this just became active today.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to graysonf

said by graysonf:

Your IPv6 default gateway is also a local link address and not a gateway to the internet.

The gateway should be LL. This is learned via RA.

What's odd here is that if you're directly connected, you should be getting a /128 prefix and not a /64 via PD.

In my area Comcast hands out /128's out of their 2001:0558::/29 prefix.

They hand out PD out of 2601::/28.

Did you just get v6 today? I wonder if something got botched during the turnup.

Second thing I would recommend is posting ipconfig /all.

Edit: I see you just got this today. Should probably open a ticket in the Comcast direct forums referencing this thread.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to neufuse

said by neufuse:

Not to go too OT but since it was brought up twice in this topic.

DHCPv6 does not/cannot specify the gateway address (not in RFC) This is done with router advertisements, it's what they are there for. Thus you get a LL address.

Even if it was decided to push a gateway address via DHCPv6, you'd still push a LL gateway as pushing a GUA or ULA would require ND.

If you have to do a static route or ping6 your gateway ...etc, you can still do so by scoping the interface.

eg. ping6 fe80::201:5cff:fe32:1481%eth0 (eth0 being WAN int).

AnonMan

@comcast.net
reply to nysports4evr

You know I had same problem today though just got comcast.

I had IPv6 disabled in Windows 7 via registry and re-enabled it, got address after enabling on my router and everything would fail in relation to ipv6 and my regular internet got slow until I turned back off.

Not sure if me, I missed a setting from undoing the disable or comcast.

Be interesting to see if anyone else had IPv6 issues and maybe just comcast

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:78
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to graysonf

said by graysonf:

whfsdude is correct you should get a local link address as your gateway. I use this type of example in my training, please keep in mind this is not v4 and doesnt work the same way for everything.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:78
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nysports4evr

said by nysports4evr:

I'm connected directly to my SB6120, running Windows 7, and it's pulling an IPv6 address, however there does not appear to be outside IPv6 access, could this be a configuration problem on my end?

I sent you a PM for some infomation I will check on this once you send me the data..