uniqs
share rss forum feed

CPM
Broadband, DSL, cable

join:2001-08-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

[Beginner] Which mac should I get. Macbook Air or retina

This is what I am using the mac for Light Room 4 for black and white photos, web design with rapid weaver Some light video editing.

No Gaming like Call of Duty.

I was thinking of the 2.0Gz 8 gig ram mac book air 13.3

I kinda think Mac book Retina might be overkill.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Depends on your budget and how portable you want your device to be. If money is no object and portability a moot point, go for the Retina..however, the MBA should otherwise be just fine.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to CPM

said by CPM:

This is what I am using the mac for Light Room 4 for black and white photos, web design with rapid weaver Some light video editing.

My main concern would be screen real estate for video or photo editing - 13 inch display would be marginal but you do have a thunderbolt port to add a large monitor.

All things considered - I might lean towards the retina display if photo/video editing was one of my main uses for the machine
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

1 recommendation

reply to CPM

I was concerned by the lack of ports/drives on the Air, but got it anyway. I've never had the need to use any of the missing 'stuff'.
I love it. Once you pick it up (it's so light), you'll never be able to pick up another laptop. The wife's iBook feels like it's 50 pounds

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to CPM

said by CPM:

I just love questions like this ... should I get the Porsche, or should I get the Lamborghini? The real question should be is how much cash do want to spend on this endeavor?, because just about any computer now a days would do what your asking.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

said by not quite right:

...because just about any computer now a days would do what your asking.

Technically speaking...the Air really doesn't do everything. Don't get me wrong...I love it, but it is (somewhat) limited.

CPM
Broadband, DSL, cable

join:2001-08-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to CPM

Light video editing I mean for you tube quality. 3-5 min videos.
As for storage i have a 1TB NAS.

I like the portability and the light weight of the MBA.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to CPM

Might there not be some new models yet to come in the September - October timeframe? Like a 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro for example.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to CPM

I would get the pro, imo

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to CPM

if you do any kind of serious photography I would lean towards a MBP retina or a refurb 17 matte.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to CPM

Personally I wouldn't buy any high end Mac...Apple obsoletes them through software long before their useful life has expired. My Mac Pro is an example. Being a 3GHz quad with 16GB of RAM it is still quite capable but being EFI32, no upgrade path after Lion despite having plenty of horsepower. And it isn't like it won't run. Same with Core Duo machines and Lion. It wouldn't matter much if they kept supporting previous OSes but they don't (e.g. iCloud on L or SL). The whole reason I ponied up for a higher end machine was so that I wouldn't need to upgrade hardware every 3 or 4 years. If I wanted to do that I'd buy a Mini or a crapbox Vostro from Dell.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

Skeechan, how old is that Mac Pro? 6 years? Seems like you've gotten a good long life out of it.

I'm debating both models as well, I have a 17" i5 that is over 2 years old now and is just fine, but I'm traveling more now and would like something smaller.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits

Yes I have gotten many years out of it and it has many many years of life left in it, that is my point. I feel burned and am disappointed. With a trusty HD4870 and a smallish SSD it's still a "screamer" to use Steve's description running all of my apps, ACAD LT, CS6, Fusion and lots of other stuff simultaneously. It's not underpowered by any measure.

So I should put a $4K system out to pasture simply because some software switch is preventing me from upgrading and Apple will drop support for currently supported OSes soon making the machine useless for daily use? That is exactly why I will NEVER buy a high end Mac again.

I'm not a bleeding edge kinda guy. When I kick down big bucks for a machine it is with the intent of not replacing it until it is horribly slow or simply dies a smokey logic board death.

I bought a high end Mac so that I would get years and years and years of use out of it just like my Sawtooth that, with it's sonnet upgrade, ran the latest OS X.x through the end of 2009...10 years and 10 years through HUGE changes at Apple. Now that is a return on my investment that I expect from a multi-thousand dollar box. I expected the same from my Mac Pro...not 100% support, but an upgrade path that isn't simply buying another $4K machine.

Dropping support for the Mac Pro because it has EFI32 is IMO inexcusable. EFI32 is not required to run a 64-bit kernel. Dropping 32bit only processors, sure, I can see them not wanting to compile and entire OS for 64 and 32 bit processors, but EFI? Even insisting on a display adapter upgrade...fine, that is an upgrade path without a 4 figure price tag. They can't offer a bootloader to their so-called "Pro" users which in the tweaker community has shown to boot ML on the EFI Mac Pro just fine?

If this were some $400 box then yeah, 6 years is okay...it's nearly a disposable machine at that point, but $4K? No, I should get 10 years out of a $4000 machine plus a few upgrades before it's time to take it out back and put a bullet in it or relegate it to the toy room with my other retired machines.

Thankfully ML doesn't offer me anything I really want but I certainly see in the very near future "pro" apps I use like ACAD going 64-bit kernel only which will absolutely obsolete my box, unless I turn back to Microsoft given my machine runs Win 7 x64 without any issues at all. But there is a reason I switched in the first place.

In your dilemma, sure, I could see an upgrade because of the tasks you are doing...you need something smaller and lighter but that is your doing. That change isn't forced upon you by Apple for no good reason.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

said by skeechan:

Yes I have gotten many years out of it and it has many many years of life left in it, that is my point. I feel burned and am disappointed. With a trusty HD4870 and a smallish SSD it's still a "screamer" to use Steve's description running all of my apps, ACAD LT, CS6, Fusion and lots of other stuff simultaneously. It's not underpowered by any measure.

So I should put a $4K system out to pasture simply because some software switch is preventing me from upgrading and Apple will drop support for currently supported OSes soon making the machine useless for daily use? That is exactly why I will NEVER buy a high end Mac again.

I'm not a bleeding edge kinda guy. When I kick down big bucks for a machine it is with the intent of not replacing it until it is horribly slow or simply dies a smokey logic board death.

I bought a high end Mac so that I would get years and years and years of use out of it just like my Sawtooth that, with it's sonnet upgrade, ran the latest OS X.x through the end of 2009...10 years and 10 years through HUGE changes at Apple. Now that is a return on my investment that I expect from a multi-thousand dollar box. I expected the same from my Mac Pro...not 100% support, but an upgrade path that isn't simply buying another $4K machine.

Dropping support for the Mac Pro because it has EFI32 is IMO inexcusable. EFI32 is not required to run a 64-bit kernel. Dropping 32bit only processors, sure, I can see them not wanting to compile and entire OS for 64 and 32 bit processors, but EFI? Even insisting on a display adapter upgrade...fine, that is an upgrade path without a 4 figure price tag. They can't offer a bootloader to their so-called "Pro" users which in the tweaker community has shown to boot ML on the EFI Mac Pro just fine?

If this were some $400 box then yeah, 6 years is okay...it's nearly a disposable machine at that point, but $4K? No, I should get 10 years out of a $4000 machine plus a few upgrades before it's time to take it out back and put a bullet in it or relegate it to the toy room with my other retired machines.

Thankfully ML doesn't offer me anything I really want but I certainly see in the very near future "pro" apps I use like ACAD going 64-bit kernel only which will absolutely obsolete my box, unless I turn back to Microsoft given my machine runs Win 7 x64 without any issues at all. But there is a reason I switched in the first place.

We pay (in the corporate IT world) a hell of alot more for a server than 4K (not that much more powerful either). If I get three years life from that server before I consider a refresh - that would be an exception......

That being said, I did purchase my high end Imac in the hopes of getting more than a couple years life out of it.
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

As a small biz owner, IT is out of my pocket so I'm a real cheapskate. I run my stuff until it dies and then I fix it and keep it on life support. My XServe G5s are still chugging along trouble free, now at year 7-ish and still ticking. Since I don't need any Intel only apps I expect to still be cruising at year 8, 9, 10, 11... If I had to pony up for Intel hardware for some server app I needed I would have a good cry.