spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AliceZ
join:2007-06-24
NYC

AliceZ

TW going "crazy" tonight?

I noticed TW changed the 'format' a few days ago. Tonight however, everything seems to be going 'crazy.' The Guide doesn't seem to work; changing the channels is very, very slow, or the channel doesn't change at all. I've had to turn the TV on and off several times and still changing channels is so very slow and the Guide does not pop-up as it did in the past.
Has anyone else had problems tonight with TW in Queens, NY?

(Scientific Atlantic Explorer)

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy

Premium Member

I have this problem all the time but it seems to be worse since the upgrade. Unplugging the box and letting it initialize should solve the problems temporarily.

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ

Now it seems the "SEARCH" function is fouled-up. What is TW doing lately that is screwing-up programs, Guide, Search, etc.?
Or am I the only one having problems?

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
New York, NY

Stacy

Premium Member

I tried search once and won't try it again. Mine froze as I entered the second character, went into some diagnostic mode and then shut itself off. Unplugging the box and wasting 20 minutes while it rebooted brought it back to life.

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ

I wonder how many other TW customers are having the same problems?This is just awful service and no notifications, etc. You would think that a large company like TW would have some method of putting a notice at bottom of screen that there were updates/changes being made and what to do if problems arose, etc. Just very frustrating paying for a service that is not working at present.
Have you tried telephoning TW support? If so, what was their answer. Or have you been unable to get through?
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch

said by AliceZ:

I wonder how many other TW customers are having the same problems?This is just awful service and no notifications, etc. You would think that a large company like TW would have some method of putting a notice at bottom of screen that there were updates/changes being made and what to do if problems arose, etc. Just very frustrating paying for a service that is not working at present.
Have you tried telephoning TW support? If so, what was their answer. Or have you been unable to get through?

Inside sources tell me with regard to the slow searches that a Speed Boost fix is coming. And, OMG do the boxes need it!

Alice, what is the make and model of your box? If it is an SA-8240HDC or SA-8300HDC they have the slow search keyboard. If it is a NON-DVR box like an SA-4000 (or below) or worse yet, the first boxes out there, a Pioneer, these boxes are WAY TOO old to run the software well.

The non-C boxes of the SA-8240/8300 are older models but have no search lag at all! They are unfortunately being phased out. My box, the SA-8300HDC is only really slow on searching with more than say 20 listings of the same show Title. For example, MLB baseball has about a 20-30 second lag between each letter press, which is just aweful. (There are about 30 MLB Baseball games on the system at one time.) If you are searching for a show that only has no more than 7 titles, there is less lag, (5 seconds or less.) between the searches.

To work on avoiding the lag in searching, you will need to find a NON-C SA-8240 or NON-C SA-8300 DVR box, OR exchange your non-DVR box for a Cisco model.

(Or wait for the next software update.)

Satch

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to AliceZ

Premium Member

to AliceZ
said by AliceZ:

You're kidding right? iGuide has been that way periodically since at least May 2005 and from what I've seen in the past 6-8 months, Navigator is the same.

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ

And now = Please Wait...." "Please wait....." "Please "Wait...."

What's going on with TW here in Queens, NY?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Satch

Premium Member

to Satch
"Inside sources tell me with regard to the slow searches that a Speed Boost fix is coming. And, OMG do the boxes need it!"

A patch was loaded on the ODN boxes in Buffalo this week. It did indeed take care of the the slow search issue.

Hob
Satch

Satch

said by hobgoblin:

"Inside sources tell me with regard to the slow searches that a Speed Boost fix is coming. And, OMG do the boxes need it!"

A patch was loaded on the ODN boxes in Buffalo this week. It did indeed take care of the the slow search issue.

Hob

Thanks Hobs,

AWESOME! Cuz the slow keyboard is the only big issue. Was this a version change too? Or just a regular box boot up and it was there. Great to see it's coming!

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin

Premium Member

It was a version change.

Hob
Satch

Satch

said by hobgoblin:

It was a version change.

Hob

Thanks Hobs,

Do you know the new version number? We got ODN 5.2.07 in Wisconsin.

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Hob

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
New York, NY

Stacy to AliceZ

Premium Member

to AliceZ
WTF? Right now we're trying to browse Primetime On Demand but the first word in the title of each show looks like its in Cerulean!

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ

I telephoned TW today and they said they have not been doing anything to cause problems such as slow SEARCH, or slow channel switching, etc.
I don't know if they even know what is going on. Tonight I also had to unplug box and replug to get out of a 'frozen' screen after GUIDE would not close.
I am afraid to even go to SEARCH (here in Queens, NYC). Anyone else in Queens, NYC, having similar problems? This is taking up a lot of my time and I don't think it should be while TW says they have done nothing lately to cause these problems.

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

Staten Island got ODN v5.2.0_9 which fixes the search bug and a few others. It is a patch, so no new features.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
New York, NY

Stacy to AliceZ

Premium Member

to AliceZ
Just rebooted my box and it indicates I'm on v 5.2.04. How could Manhattan be so far behind?

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by Stacy:

Just rebooted my box and it indicates I'm on v 5.2.04. How could Manhattan be so far behind?

Wow, that's new. The ODN releases in the 5.2 version I've seen so far are 5.2.0_7 and 5.2.0_9 definitely no 5.2.0_4 here in S.I. from 5.1.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
New York, NY

Stacy to AliceZ

Premium Member

to AliceZ
I wonder if somehow it could a mistake but I'm not going to waste another 20 minutes rebooting just to check it. I'm sure I'll have to reboot soon enough

bluepoint

bluepoint to AliceZ

to AliceZ
If you were updated to ODN 5.2.0_7(black menu), it slowed the box a bit. Wait for the update fix to ODN 5.2.0_9, it quickens the search and channel changing. When you have a chance trade your cable box with the newer model cisco or black samsung. I've read here it's easier to trade boxes in Queens and manhattan for the newer boxes unlike here in S.I. they hoard the newer ones. So yes, trek down a TWC office near you and change them.
bluepoint

bluepoint to Stacy

to Stacy
If there is an update the box will reboot itself. All you have to do is check the version.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Roc getting it thing coming week, I would assume?

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ to bluepoint

to bluepoint
#1- How can I tell what "version" I have?
#2- Do I have to reboot (again) to find out?
#3- If so, where would the "version" be listed?
#4- Does anyone live in Queens, NYC and is your "Search" now working?

This is all so very confusing for those of us who know nothing about HD, TVs, Cable Boxes, etc.

Can someone help please?

bluepoint

bluepoint

The quickest to check your ODN version is by going to channel 996. Once it loads use the page up button to go to page 6(STB diagnostics). It's the third line I think that shows what ODN is running.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
"Roc getting it thing coming week, I would assume?"

Already got it.

Hob

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
New York, NY

Stacy to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

The quickest to check your ODN version is by going to channel 996. Once it loads use the page up button to go to page 6(STB diagnostics). It's the third line I think that shows what ODN is running.

Thanks. This says ODN Version v 5.2.0_7
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"Roc getting it thing coming week, I would assume?"

Already got it.

Hob

Thanks, now I see where it says 5.2.0_9. I don't recall my boxes rebooting this week, but obviously they must have. It sucks that the Select+Down Arrow diagnostic screens are gone now. It took me a while to find the firmware version info in the other set of diag screens.

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ to bluepoint

to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:The quickest to check your ODN version is by going to channel 996. Once it loads use the page up button to go to page 6(STB diagnostics). It's the third line I think that shows what ODN is running.
===========

Thank you.

My ODN (on 996) shows: 5.2.0_7 2012/05/15 16:54
Stach version 1.6.8.1021

Does that mean my SEARCH will (still) not work?

(As I mentioned previously, it was working fine until several days ago when the Guide changed the menu.)

bluepoint

bluepoint

ODN 5.2.0_7 search bug(slow) is fixed in ODN 5.2.0_9. Queens probably will be updated next week, just my guess. We have it here in SI since Thursday last week, of course being the smallest borough in NYC, they guinea pig first on us but at least this release improved the search a lot(not lagging). If it will not improve it better from what your experience was before at least it will return whats normal to your experience.
Have you traded your boxes to the newer models?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
Select and Up works for me.

Hob