to AliceZ

Re: TW going "crazy" tonight?

said by AliceZ:

#1- Just a note to say that

Mfgr Diags menu Page 8 line 5 still shows:

Not loaded ODN 5.2.09

Line 6 = Running 5.2.07

Also, #2.
Has anyone noticed the size of the picture (screen) on a few channels has changed to a smaller screen? Or is it just me? I have to keep changing to get full screen.
Before when I changed channels, the screen size was always full screen and now, as I said, some are smaller. For instance Channel 5 is small when I switch to view it.
Or is it just my HD TV?

Hi Alice,

If ODN 5.2.09 is loading into the menu I would suspect it is going to launch very soon. Probably within the next 1-2 weeks. It is a faster and snappier release.

On the second issue, it is possible that your screen settings' output resolution may have changed. I assume you have an HD TV, you will need to set your High Definition Settings:

1.) Press Settings
2.) Arrow Left/Right to High Definition
3.) Arrow Up/Down to Picture Size
4.) Under Normal, Stretch, or Zoom, Select "Stretch."
5.) Save your Changes

This link will show you how to do it, click show all images when you get to the site for illustrations. If the link does not work, just do my five steps above:

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· ure+Size

Now all non-HD content will be stretched to fill the screen. HD content, (assuming you have an HD TV set, are watching an HD channel, and have either HDMI or Component Cables ) will fill the screen with HD picture quality. Any programing NOT in HD on the HD channels, WILL HAVE THE SIDEBARS and cannot be changed.

Satch

AliceZ
join:2007-06-24
NYC

1 edit

AliceZ

Has anyone else (in Queens, NY) noticed the channels changing very slowly last night and today? Also, getting into the Guide taking a long time?
What's happening with TW these past few weeks? Everything seems to be getting slower and slower.

My diags still read:

Page 8 line 5 shows:
Not loaded ODN 5.2.09
Running 5.2.07

Even had the channel change from 7 to 2 without my touching it!

Anyone else experiencing the same "slowness, etc.?"

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

So, did you get updated yet?

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ

I had to reboot to get the channels to load quicker.

Diags still read as in the past

Line 5 = Not Loaded - 5.2.0.9
Line 6 = Running - 5.2.0.7

Don't when if or when 5.2.0.9 will be installed/loaded. Anyone else in Queens still with 5.2.0.7? When is 5.2.0.9 going to be installed/loaded?
TW really confusing me since they made those Guide changes a few weeks ago. Anyone else feel the same?
AliceZ

AliceZ to Satch

to Satch
Did the "Stretch" (Under Normal, Stretch, or Zoom, Select "Stretch.") and still when I go to some programs that have "HD" in the lower right of the screen (banner, I think you might call it) the picture is small (side borders on both sides) and then when I go to some programs without "HD" showing in lower right of screen, the picture is "stretched."
Is there a way for the picture on all channels (HD or not) to show in the "stretched," rather than me having to prress the "#" on the remote to change to "stretch?"
Thanks

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by AliceZ:

Did the "Stretch" (Under Normal, Stretch, or Zoom, Select "Stretch.") and still when I go to some programs that have "HD" in the lower right of the screen (banner, I think you might call it) the picture is small (side borders on both sides) and then when I go to some programs without "HD" showing in lower right of screen, the picture is "stretched."
Is there a way for the picture on all channels (HD or not) to show in the "stretched," rather than me having to prress the "#" on the remote to change to "stretch?"
Thanks

no. different channels are broadcasting at different aspect ratios (4:3 or 16:9) with the content format in them not always matching the broadcast format.

So you wind up with a 16:9 content show in a 4:3 broadcast frame with bars on the top and bottom (aka letterbox);

letterbox

a 4:3 content show in a 16:9 broadcast frame with bars on the left and right (aka pillarbox);

pillarbox

or worst of all a 16:9 show on a 4:3 broadcast channel displayed on a 16:9 TV that isn't stretching in which case you have black bars all the way around (aka windowpane or windowbox)

windowbox

Most HD sets are configured to stretch 4:3 broadcast framed and not stretch 16:9 broadcast framed.

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ

Has anyone had problems with TW tonight? In the past few weeks couldn't get the Search after TW did some updating.
Now, tonight (Thurs. 9/20/2012 12:30 AM) I am having problems getting into the Guide. Wait .... wait... wait... and then it rebooted by itself.
Does anyone know what is going on with TW? After that recent update a few weeks ago channel switching has been slow and now the problem with the Guide and the rebooting. Has TW been doing some updating tonight (again).
I've read a few local community newspapers here in Queens, NY and several other people have been complaining about the same problems.

twcguy
@rr.com

twcguy

Anon

im having weird problems tonight trying to watch tv on the pc using the video.timewarnercable.com site. one you login it timesout and error windows popup.

The request has exceeded the allowable time limit Tag: cfoutput

Resources:
Enable Robust Exception Information to provide greater detail about the source of errors. In the Administrator, click Debugging & Logging > Debug Output Settings, and select the Robust Exception Information option.
Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are using the correct syntax.
Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.
Browser Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.89 Safari/537.1
Remote Address 24.28.199.135
Referrer »video.timewarnercable.com/
Date/Time 20-Sep-12 02:55 AM

thats the message that pops up. guess its on their end
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch to AliceZ

to AliceZ
said by AliceZ:

Has anyone had problems with TW tonight? In the past few weeks couldn't get the Search after TW did some updating.
Now, tonight (Thurs. 9/20/2012 12:30 AM) I am having problems getting into the Guide. Wait .... wait... wait... and then it rebooted by itself.
Does anyone know what is going on with TW? After that recent update a few weeks ago channel switching has been slow and now the problem with the Guide and the rebooting. Has TW been doing some updating tonight (again).
I've read a few local community newspapers here in Queens, NY and several other people have been complaining about the same problems.

Alice,

Have you been updated to version ODN 5.2.09, yet?

Satch

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ to twcguy

to twcguy
TWCGUY:

Sorry,. don't know what you are referring to or whether you are trying to answer my question?
AliceZ

AliceZ to Satch

to Satch
Satch:
It reads:
Status = Running/ Version = 2/ Application Name = ODN 5.2.09
Sttus = Not Loaded/ Version = 2/ Application Name = ODN 5.2.07

Does thast mean I now have the newest "ODN" = 5.2.09?

If I do, what does that mean to me? I still don't believe I can get the "Search" to work.

Please advise

bluepoint

bluepoint

You exchange the 4250HDC to another box? What model/brand?

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ

still have Scientic Atlantic Explore 4250HDC.

bluepoint

bluepoint

Your box is slow in today's Guide. Try to exchange it with the newer Cisco boxes or samsungs but not the SMT-3050, it's even slower.

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ

Should I be able to get into "Search" now?
Do I now have the newest ODN version?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

The 4250's I have here run search fine.
It does look like you have been updated.

Hob

AliceZ
NYC

AliceZ

Many thanks. Glad I am not alone with the 4250 HDC. I also just pressed the "B" and (finally) got to the "Search."
Hopefully (keeping fingers crossed), I am back to "normal," or as "normal" as "normal" can be.

bluepoint

bluepoint to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
If changing channel when pressing the number takes .5 secs before it appears in the screen is fine with you then you can say the 4250 is fine. That's my experience with that modem with ODN 5.2.0_09. Just imagine how long it takes to press 3 digit channels.
Compared to the newer Samsung I have now, pressing the channel shows in the screen almost immediately.