how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gregamy

join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT

Hello? Bueller...? Bueller...?

Anyone out there? Is this thing on...? This was a pretty busy forum before "The Great Blow Up of aught 12"...can we at least beat up on Glenn for the nice hot summer we're having?

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

Even with all the heat and humidity this summer, never once.. not once did I say or think ANYTHING about s****. It's been hot but I dont have to shovel hot, and hot doesn't hurt.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to gregamy

We're leaving the southern Midwest for the Northeast today. It's about 100F outside. It's been 100-110F here all summer, with virtually no rain [precip deficit for the year is over 12" so far]. It might cool down to the 90s next week. The corn looks stunted and wilted. The watermelons looked OK. The soybeans will live. Everything else just looks kind of brown. We're waiting for severe weather northeast of us to clear before we head up the road to the Interstate.

My father-in-law and I were working on my car, since it was overheating a bit on the way out here. Turns out the thermostat was missing. We put one in [who in their right mind would put a thermostat on the lower hose next to the engine, under the air filter??! Thanks loads, Mazda.]. That helps the 'runs too cold in winter' problem, but I'm wary of what it will do to the 'runs too hot in southern Summer' problem. Probably just a case of a DOHC engine too big for the car running too hot. I guess we'll find out.

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT

1 recommendation

reply to gregamy

I was sleeping. Please only wake me when the taxes go down....
--
Rich. My Website

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

You're gonna sleep forever.

Glenn
I'D Rather Be Skiing
Premium
join:2000-10-05
Wallingford, CT
reply to gregamy

It's cooled off today...thankfully! I'll start posting links to the skiing magazines buyer's guides. Those should be out in a few weeks....
--
I ski at Mount Snow

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT
reply to gregamy

said by gregamy:

This was a pretty busy forum before "The Great Blow Up of aught 12"...

For those of us who cannot remember what we did five minutes ago, what was the "The Great Blow Up of aught 12"?

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter

When this site was down for about two weeks.

Mon Apr 16 13:52:50 EDT 2012

-------------------------

Update Tue Apr 17 04:14:29 EDT 2012

Things have turned out to be more complicated. Although no hardware was fried, our large storage array has decided, probably as a result of going dark in mid write, that our two sql servers can no longer have access to one of the small, but important, partitions that makes up the larger SQL data area. All data is there, but it refuses to offer it. At this point all courses of action involve delays. When I know more I'll post -Justin

Update 15:35 EDT
Our data center experienced a power outage which affected our entire system. We are in the process of recovering everything
and turning a few cranky servers into happy ones.

Apologies for the inconvenience, we expect to be up in a few hours

Update 16:18 EDT
The power outage affected the entire data center and we are still awaiting our turn to power up some machines.
We will keep this page updated.

Update 19:20 EDT
Unfortunately, a database server doesn't take kindly to being taken down without proper shutdown procedures and the
restoration efforts are still under way. No ETA at this time.

--
Rich. My Website

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
West Hartford, CT
reply to gregamy

Back here, at least temporarily. Going out east for the weekend.

Drove a day and a half in 105F heat [air temp, not heat index] to get back somewhere cooler. It was nice to finally get to the hills of PA and shut off the AC. Car still overheats in very hot weather and under strain, but only with AC on. Shut off AC for a minute and it cools off. It may not overheat in CT, since the kind of weather I left yesterday is still rare here. Car has too much engine and not enough radiator or airflow. Wife suggested putting a hood scoop on the car.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
West Hartford, CT
reply to meskinct

I said it once and I'll say it again:

Powerchute [Can you say Powerchute? I knew you could!].

/Fred Rogers

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT
reply to meskinct

said by meskinct:

When this site was down for about two weeks.

Thanks I remember that but didn't know what "aught" meant. I will say that after that long offline period, I stopped visiting this site for a while. Kind of missed not seeing any threads about snow and people complaining about the weather, taxes, and oil prices here in CT.

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter

said by bennor:

Thanks I remember that but didn't know what "aught" meant.

»lmgtfy.com/?q=aught

--
Rich. My Website