uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 edit

aurgathor to EliteData

to EliteData

Re: What is an "LED TV"?

Did you try calibration? Methinks that should fix color issues, unless the panel is really crappy. Not sure about TVs, but LCD monitors in general come with brightness cranked up way too much.

BTW, I did some search, and there are some full array LCD LED TVs currently for sale -- they are not cheap, though the Sony is priced dirt cheap at some places. (scam?) »reviews.cnet.com/2795-64 ··· 399.html
For the OP, That article also explains the various types of "LED TVs"

Edit: Here's another, somewhat older CNET article on full backlit LED backlit LCDs: »news.cnet.com/8301-17938 ··· tentMain

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

the very minor issues i discovered is not something im really that concerned about.
after all, at age 42, my vision is bad enough anyway
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to aurgathor

to aurgathor
Thanks for the info guys, especially the cnet links. I need to look at them further.

I stopped by a couple stores* today. I really don't see a difference between the LCD and the LED-backlit images. They looked the same to me. The LCD/LED images did look better than the plasma images; the plasmas seemed washed-out.

* I'll admit that a brightly-lit store is not the best place to compare images, but I'm not about to bring home 5 different TV sets to compare them!
Bob4

Bob4

I just realized another issue. The room has windows with bright sunshine opposite the TV. This means a lot of reflections on the screen. It's a problem with my current CRT screen. I imagine it will be even worse with a large flat screen.

Most HDTVs has glossy screens. It seems like this would be a problem with the bright reflections. Does anyone know of any 37" or 40" TVs with a matte screen and that will play movies/videos via a USB port or WiFi?
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

I bright room was a concern of mine. I bought a 46" Vizio with a matte screen based on how bright it looked in the store. At factory settings, this TV looks great in a very bright room.