All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« Will Pay For Services
This is a sub-selection from I don't get it....

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to hello123454

Re: I don't get it....

said by hello123454:

Comcast's 300 Mbps won't equal Verizon's 300 Mbps....

Both companies are going back and forth on numbers when in reality Verizon has much more leverage with how their network is setup....

Oh? You don't think each 300 the companies put out will match? Do you have FiOS with the 300 speed and can test it out and post some screenshots?

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state
While I don't have the 300Mbit plan I do have the 150, and there is no way Concast is going to match the 70Mbit upload speed with there existing setup, they also wont be able to get the low pings that FiOS can achieve due to the overhead in docsis networks. Lastly, what good is 300Mbit on Concast when they purposely oversubscribe there backbone links to over half the internet causing 500ms+ pings during peak hours.

* Speedtest's flash program cant handle the upload speeds, its a known bug that they have fixed but the people running the test sites haven't bothered to upgrade yet.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

said by flashcore:

While I don't have the 300Mbit plan I do have the 150, and there is no way Concast is going to match the 70Mbit upload speed with there existing setup, they also wont be able to get the low pings that FiOS can achieve due to the overhead in docsis networks. Lastly, what good is 300Mbit on Concast when they purposely oversubscribe there backbone links to over half the internet causing 500ms+ pings during peak hours.

Judging from the chart linked to this story

»FCC Report: ISPs Still Struggling to Deliver Advertised Speeds

Comcast is doing a remarkably good job of keeping their performance consistent during "peak" hours. Their line is almost as flat as Verizon's. Verizon over-delivers (I suspect largely due to the "fluff" you get when you order TV) which puts them higher.

I don't think anybody's going to argue that FTTH is the best tech out there. But it's not available to all of us, and it's a good thing that Comcast is at least trying to step up to the plate. Any competition is good competition.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Chris 313
said by Chris 313:

said by hello123454:

Comcast's 300 Mbps won't equal Verizon's 300 Mbps....

Both companies are going back and forth on numbers when in reality Verizon has much more leverage with how their network is setup....

Oh? You don't think each 300 the companies put out will match? Do you have FiOS with the 300 speed and can test it out and post some screenshots?

I get my full 155mbps at all hours and days of the week, no exceptions. Maybe at 3am you will see the full 305 from Comcast but comparing the latency times, FIOS is untouchable. Don't get me started on bandwidth caps...

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
said by serge87:

Maybe at 3am you will see the full 305 from Comcast but comparing the latency times, FIOS is untouchable.

Or maybe Verizon is 5 ms slower....

(This is at 18:20 CDT on my Comcast residential D3 connection)

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to flashcore
I've never had congestion issues with Comcast. That being said, while having 50-100mbps is a great luxury, having over 100 is just pointless. Even the few homes that have networking that can take advantage of those sorts of speeds probably can't really use that much.

mister2d

join:2001-12-24
Baltimore, MD
reply to flashcore
said by flashcore:

* Speedtest's flash program cant handle the upload speeds, its a known bug that they have fixed but the people running the test sites haven't bothered to upgrade yet.

My Comcast pings are just fine! I do see a limitation for upload. The meter bangs up against the 12Mbps limit pretty hard when I do testing.

ShaperProbe is also consistently matching with Speedtest. Don't believe everything you read. Some markets are getting excellent service from Comcast.

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT

I have the opposite problem where speedtest site has a tough time registering proper pings from my fiber gateway...

mister2d

join:2001-12-24
Baltimore, MD
said by somms:

I have the opposite problem where speedtest site has a tough time registering proper pings from my fiber gateway...

Sarcasm noted.

chrisbmoore

join:2003-08-28
Elkins Park, PA
reply to flashcore
You definitely don't have a clue at the improvements comcast has made. My last speed test shows ping time of 5 ms 110 Mbps download 20 Mbps upload on the 105/15 tier. no such thing as 500-1000 ms ping times anymore, maybe once upon a time.