spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

myearshurt

@teksavvy.com

Your hold music.

Hi, I'm just wondering who's child created that horrible hold music? It's what a 30 second piece then it loops on itself. trust me, after 30 minutes on hold listening to that you either don't care what the problem was you'd just do anything to make that music stop or you're ready to make yourself deaf so you don't have to hear it for a minute longer.. my god i'd rather listen to thrash metal where they scream and you have no bloody idea what the hell they're screaming.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by myearshurt :

Hi, I'm just wondering who's child created that horrible hold music? It's what a 30 second piece then it loops on itself. trust me, after 30 minutes on hold listening to that you either don't care what the problem was you'd just do anything to make that music stop or you're ready to make yourself deaf so you don't have to hear it for a minute longer.. my god i'd rather listen to thrash metal where they scream and you have no bloody idea what the hell they're screaming.

lol maybe that's the plan to clear the queue

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to myearshurt

You can blame SOCAN for the demise of the cool music. »www.socan.ca/tariff/SOC_11007_Ta···LISH_15B. It gets expensive really quick if a company has a lot of lines.
I use the Direct forum for everything so I don't have to wait on hold.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by MacGyver:

You can blame SOCAN for the demise of the cool music. »www.socan.ca/tariff/SOC_11007_Ta···LISH_15B. It gets expensive really quick if a company has a lot of lines.
I use the Direct forum for everything so I don't have to wait on hold.

Informative link, thanks. I never really knew of the costs until now. Yikes! What about simply using the radio on hold instead?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to MacGyver

We just have a radio station hooked up.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

1 recommendation

reply to myearshurt

Hey guys,

We're aware & looking at a solution. It's simply part of the kinks that need to be ironed out.

Regards,
Martin

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to HiVolt

That's not allowed I'm afraid, unless you've licensed the station you're broadcasting. For example, if you wanted to play XM radio, you need a Business account which includes licensing to play the station on your MOH service.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Which is actually against socan rules as well technically.

XM/Sirius offers a service for businesses that covers copyrights, as it's part of the bill payment. It's only 35 bucks.

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to TSI Martin

said by TSI Martin:

Hey guys,

We're aware & looking at a solution. It's simply part of the kinks that need to be ironed out.

Regards,
Martin

Just get XM/Sirius for business.. 35 bucks a month, and you get real music, and your butt is covered for rights issues.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

said by HiVolt:

Which is actually against socan rules as well technically.

Pfft. they can pound sand. I think we have Boom 97.3 on it for a few years now. If someone ever bothers us i'll just put it back to the "beep beep" thing lol...

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON

They'll find you eventually.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to myearshurt

You can get Rocky and Marc to record a few duets then SOCAN won't get any licensing money.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to rodjames

said by rodjames:

Curious, how exactly?

Odds are in his favour they won't.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to rodjames

said by rodjames:

I doubt it. it's a small company.

And if they do, i'll just stream some american stream off the net. SOCAN can suck it then.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
reply to myearshurt

I say play some midi's from demoscene!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

1 edit

2 recommendations

I'll play the fuckin windows login sound before i pay shit to those at SOCAN.

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to myearshurt

They actually randomly call... I've had a few friends who run small businesses who got caught... Socan sent a notice and they simply got XM for Business. Beep Beep doesn't work for someone like Teksavvy, who requires people to wait on hold for longer than 60 seconds. XM for this is great for this, cause it's always up to date, and never the same rotation of music. $35 bucks for a business is a) a write off and b) simply a drop in the hat for a company the size of Teksavvy....

Zed071

join:2010-09-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Then SOCAN may be paying you a visit through their lawyers. The same thing happened to me when I was setting up a plant 15 years ago.

We switched to Public Domain music ASAP.

Z

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Grab the login sound for every version of Windows and put it on loop.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to myearshurt

Or grab Magix and create a simple but nice royalty free song yourself lol

myearshurt

@teksavvy.com

I'd sooner listen to the guy telling me over and over again that the next representative will be right with me.. I still have that fucking jingle in my head.

hades_2100

join:2002-09-14
Burnaby, BC

Had to listen to that Super Mario music for 2 hours yesterday! I had a splitting headache after 1h and my wife took over. PLEASE CHANGE.

hades

balur

join:2010-04-28
kudos:1
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

You can get Rocky and Marc to record a few duets then SOCAN won't get any licensing money.

Hold music is TSI staff doing karaoke, I support this

It would probably also lower wait times as people would be abandoning calls except in emergencies

mshdpotatoes

join:2006-05-03
kudos:1
reply to myearshurt

I like to think I have pretty eclectic taste in music, there's a lot of different music you could play that wouldn't annoy me, but most of it would likely annoy the majority of your other customers in some way or another. I think that's the real problem with hold-music - people's tastes are far too diverse for anything short of a system of "press 1 for Jazz, 2 for Pop, 3 for Metal, 4 for Dance, ...etc" to not annoy a bunch of your customers.

Quite some time ago now TSI was playing classical on hold, but some people on DSLR complained that it was being played at an ear-piercingly-high volume. Unfortunately, instead of just lowering the volume the classical was replaced with modern pop music. I'm not into classical myself but I would definitely rather be forced to listen to that than the sort of pop music the majority of people find tolerable. There were a couple songs in your short playlist a while back I didn't mind, but most of them I'd really preferred not to have had to listen to. Classical might even be far less troublesome as far as ridiculous licensing nonsense goes.

What I really think would be the ultimate in hold music though, would actually be the absence of the stuff. When a customer first enters the hold-queue, give them a prompt to "press 1 now to turn off the music so you can concentrate on reading your book/website/newspaper/etc, or whatever else it is your trying to pass the time with". If I want to listen to music when I'm on hold, I've got speakers right here I can use to play something I actually want to hear.

llort

@rogers.com

said by mshdpotatoes:

What I really think would be the ultimate in hold music though, would actually be the absence of the stuff. When a customer first enters the hold-queue, give them a prompt to "press 1 now to turn off the music so you can concentrate on reading your book/website/newspaper/etc, or whatever else it is your trying to pass the time with". If I want to listen to music when I'm on hold, I've got speakers right here I can use to play something I actually want to hear.

The only problem with the absence of sound is if you get disconnected you may not realize it until half hour later.

DarkStar33

join:2008-03-27
Toronto, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

said by HiVolt:

Add dubstep, become overnight sensation.
--
TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro (Toronto, ON)
»www.speedtest.net/result/1343900371.png

TSI Gabe
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:7
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

said by HiVolt:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO9q4H49cGA

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

said by TSI Gabe:

said by mlerner:

said by HiVolt:

(youtube clip)

Next comes Windows NT.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=6suWwnjGKgQ

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Martin

said by TSI Martin:

Hey guys,
It's simply part of the kinks

The kinks. Now you're talking.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h1oRP7FfBw

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to myearshurt

How about just put public domain music in the system and put enough to last a long time so no matter how long you wait, you never have to hear the same loop... or simply get a service like XM to provide music. Adding PRESS 1 for this 2 for that, adds confusion to the already complicated IVR for non-TECH heads. The point of the music is only to ensure people know they are waiting on the line, make people relaxed so they are less emotional when they get to someone.