Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thecybernerd
Premium
join:2007-01-05
Great Falls, VA

What modem will they use?

I am curious what modem they will use to deliver these speeds? I know the SB6121 only supports channel bonding up to 160 mbps down and 120 up. Does comcast plan to duck tape two of these bad boys together or is there a newer model?

Thanks!

GoodOmens

join:2005-07-06
Arlington, VA

I'm guessing the wireless gateway will be one of their Arris modems that offer 8 channel downstream and 4 channel upstream bonding - more then enough for 300mbps.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to thecybernerd

Any of the other 8x4 modems they already have or the 24x8 devices coming from Intel Puma6 thing or whatever? Current 8x4 modems can do 343/100Mbps max theoretical. Getting 300Mbps should be more than possible in production then.

anon6123

@mich.net
reply to GoodOmens

I would guess they are pulling out bigger guns than that for this...

»Arris Tests 800 Mbps Cable Modem

South Korea was testing that modem a year and a half ago, so I would guess that Comcast most likely has at least one of them in a lab somewhere...

16 channels would be 608mbps or so, allowing several of the channels to have some congestion on them.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

said by anon6123 :

16 channels would be 608mbps or so, allowing several of the channels to have some congestion on them.

Doesn't fix the upstream problem they are going to run into.

anon6123

@mich.net
reply to SHoTTa35

That was another modem I was trying to remember. They might be able to turn on 24 downstream channels, but I don't know if they actually have 8 upstream channels to even connect to currently. Certainly not 64 QAM carriers as you would need 48mhz worth of bandwidth.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude

said by whfsdude:

said by anon6123 :

Doesn't fix the upstream problem they are going to run into.

Docsis3.x load balancing takes good care of that 'problem'

anon6123

@mich.net
reply to whfsdude

Yea I commented on that a couple of posts above this one... If they are rolling out a 65mbps upload, I'm guessing they are also working on a few solutions to work on that issue. The one thing in their favor is I wonder how much upstream is actually used at a given time. They might be able to oversubscribe upstream at a higher rate than downstream given it's more likely for someone to be using netflix than constantly uploading videos to youtube.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to thecybernerd

A moto 6141 has 8 down and 4 up channels. So does some arris modems and a few others. Just gotta look. I have a 6121, because I dont see charter using anything more than 100mbps as a download tier in any of their markets anytime soon. Also, charters upload is the worst.