spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dazman09

join:2010-10-28

[SK] Modem randomly drops connection

Our Shaw modem randomly drops its connection resulting in no service. The only way to fix it is un-plugging the power to the modem, and restoring it. Luckily this has only happened about 3 times in the last six months (previously it has was happening 1-2 times a week for 8 months). It seems to happen over night, so there is no internet in the morning.

Is there anyway to smooth this out? I've though of using a standard lamp timer that will cut power to the modem at ~5am every night to essentially reboot it.. Any other ideas? Are there modems that can have a scheduled reboot?

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

1 edit

Scheduled? No

What do the lights on the modem do, when the connection drops?

I've seen power issues do this too, is there any sort of UPS on your modem?

--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to dazman09

Which modem/gateway is it? Motorola? SMC? Cisco? The SurfBoard modems are known to have their power bricks go bad from time to time.

dazman09

join:2010-10-28

Motorola Surfboard 5100.. AFAIK lights are actually all normal, even activity light blinks, but the modem wont pass traffic until its rebooted.

Also happens occasionally at home with same modem. Same Modem at other work location is much more stable.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

Get it swapped out. It's probably on it's last legs, guessing that the SB5100 is a 6+ year old modem. See if you can acquire an SB6120 to replace it or opt for a new Cisco gateway and have that switched to bridged mode.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M : 16GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
I have anonymous postings turned off.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to dazman09

I could take a quick look at your modem history and see what's happening. We'll get it figured out for you.

Please pm me your details.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager