Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

Text Scam

yesterday I got a text message on my phone from 95686 with a message of
quote:
Free msg. Thank you for your recent credit card account payment in the amount of $370.80. Send STOP to opt out.
First, what's the best way to find out who/what 95686 is? From google it seems to be from a scammer looking for CC info.

Second, I have made no such payments to any of my cards. It is not asking me to call or anything, so what is the purpose of this? If I did text STOP back would that be a signal for them to call me to try to get the info out of me by then?

Popster27
join:2008-07-19
Redondo Beach, CA

Popster27

My guess is that by replying you would be signing up for some service (like ringtones) that would be added to your monthly phone bill. I would ignore it.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to Voxxjin

Mod

to Voxxjin
1: Ignore the text message.

2: Watch your next few bills closely. They might have signed you up without permission, in which case you will have to call your service provider and have that canceled.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

Don't worry I didn't reply and wouldn't think of it. I was just trying to figure out their angle and how it would work.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

tdumaine

Premium Member

Most carriers, if you forward it (yes you can forward a text) to 7726 (SPAM by letters on the keys) it can get added to the blocked list by the carrier
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to Voxxjin

to Voxxjin
as a force of habit from the "jawa" days, i would always reply "stop" to these, but nothing else. They dont need you to respond to sign you up for "premium" services that you dont want/need, they simply need your phone number, and thats that. Just reply "stop" and then be done with it.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by Chubbysumo:

as a force of habit from the "jawa" days, i would always reply "stop" to these, but nothing else. They dont need you to respond to sign you up for "premium" services that you dont want/need, they simply need your phone number, and thats that. Just reply "stop" and then be done with it.

replying stop just validates your number as well, valid and adding more from these places. As i said earlier....
said by tdumaine:

Most carriers, if you forward it (yes you can forward a text) to 7726 (SPAM by letters on the keys) it can get added to the blocked list by the carrier

Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by tdumaine:

replying stop just validates your number as well, valid and adding more from these places. As i said earlier....

They already know your number is valid, because when you text a number that isnt in service, or cannot be texted, you get an "undeliverable" notice from your carrier(i have gotten them). The ones that dont return that notice are active.
Expand your moderator at work