uniqs

tonytoronto
join:2007-10-31
Toronto, ON

tonytoronto to ijaaz

to ijaaz

Re: [Cable] Teksavvy Cable Constant Modem Restart [SB6120]

said by ijaaz:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was your issue ever resolved? I've been having the same problems as you, with the same hardware:

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number: 317001100601317707040001
Firmware Build Time: May 12 2011 15:15:14

Calls to tech support have been uneventful, as they ignore the actual log messages and ask me to ping things..

yup, frustrating as hell. They have a few good techs, but i seem to always get the ones who have no clue what internet is!
Innov8
Premium Member
join:2011-07-19

3 edits

Innov8

Premium Member

Folks exactly the same bad nagging performance experience and associated mis-handling of fundamental issues. Search for "Teddy Boom" here and he is near U of T also posts here. Very wonderful gentleman. Well educated and helpful. If you are physically close to be able to see him you will be pleasantly surprised to see him. He may be able to give you ideas and check things out with hardware/modem/etc.

The issue generally is Carriers trying to be too cute and throwing out implementations of dubious value (4 channel upstream bonding for 1 Mb/s service). As described in this thread finicky plant. Even when one channel has minor transient issues all the Upstream goes in limbo and dies bringing down the Downstream 4 bonded channels with it. A reboot follows till one of the Upstream bonded channels again goes into the "Aborted" or "continue" mode and all four channels in upstream bonding go down one at a time like house of cards again. Story repeats based on what you had for breakfast or how much you curse the duopoly.

Good luck.

PS: I found the following to be very probelamatic for these modems,

"Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout" which invariably leads to freezes and reboots. Appears in part to do with bad software on 6120/6121 modems. Not sure fire but a key culprit.

tonytoronto
join:2007-10-31
Toronto, ON

tonytoronto

said by Innov8:

Folks exactly the same bad nagging performance experience and associated mis-handling of fundamental issues. Search for "charles lidstone" on Google and he is near U of T also posts here. Very wonderful gentleman. Well educated and helpful. If you are physically close to be able to see him you will be pleasantly surprised to see him. He may be able to give you ideas and check things out with hardware/modem/etc.

The issue generally is Carriers trying to be too cute and throwing out implementations of dubious value (4 channel upstream bonding for 1 Mb/s service). As described in this thread finicky plant. Even when one channel has minor transient issues all the Upstream goes in limbo and dies bringing down the Downstream 4 bonded channels with it. A reboot follows till one of the Upstream bonded channels again goes into the "Aborted" or "continue" mode and all four channels in upstream bonding go down one at a time like house of cards again. Story repeats based on what you had for breakfast or how much you curse the duopoly.

Good luck.

Thank you! Your explanation exactly what happens to me, once one or 2 channels abort, the modem doesn't know what to do! According to a Teksavvy Tech on direct forums that's perfectly fine, no trouble at all! been well over a month, maybe two of trying to get this escalated, they simply refusing to, i just don't get it. the regular BS about we e-mailed rogers and rogers says modem fine and online getting old. Hopefully 8th time the charm and something will get done this time.
EGM92
join:2006-01-29

EGM92

I have this exact problem, it's been happening since Friday, I constantly timeout/ping out of IRC channels/games. It'll fix itself if I power cycle the modem but it's only a temp fix. The modem itself (SB6120) will sometimes cycle all by itself. I contacted TS about it and was told they couldn't find anything on their side but would have to send out a tech. After 15hrs of constant usage and no dropped connection or reboots I called in to cancel the technician and almost 20 minutes later the connection dropping occured again

Is this something that'll go away on its own or something a tech actually have to come by and fix?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Innov8

to Innov8
said by Innov8:

The issue generally is Carriers trying to be too cute and throwing out implementations of dubious value (4 channel upstream bonding for 1 Mb/s service).

1) They need to roll out upstream channel bonding to be able to roll out the higher speed tiers 2) Rogers already is offering the higher speed tiers to Rogers retail customers if you call in and request it. It will eventually will be rolled out to TPIA customers after Rogers rolls it out en masse to their own retail customers