spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Kwik
@sbcglobal.net

Kwik

Anon

Installing personally owned Modem

Why does Brighthouse not allow users to install their own DOCSIS3.0 modems? Is it technical reasons? or Policy Reasons? From my understanding DOCSIS3.0 is fully backwards compatible with DOCSIS2.0 so what would the issue be?

Thanks.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

This has already been discussed in multiple threads. We are in the process of finalizing a process whereby you can use your own D3 modem provided it's on our supported modems list which has not been released yet. I will make everyone aware when this is ready.

Kwik
@sbcglobal.net

Kwik

Anon

Yeah, before I posted the search was not working. I'm digging through the threads now. I am assuming that the approved list is going to be different from the one already linked to on the site:
»help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_rr ··· ems.aspx

Thanks for the reply
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert to Kwik

Premium Member

to Kwik
As promised....

»support.brighthouse.com/ ··· ce-9109/

Effective immediately

Guide_Tim
join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim to Kwik

to Kwik
Does this mean I can use my own DOCSIS3.0 cable modem with Lightning ???????? i currently use Motorola SB6121 on Turbo without any issues

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Thanks for the update. I am using BHN's modem with my Lightning service and although I am now tempted in getting my own, I will more than likely keep what I have now.

I like to "customize" my electronic toys (aka root phones, build computers, modify my ham radio equipment,etc.) but as BHN will remotely manage the modem and can flash it at will, it would be a waste for me.

After all, BHN's service has been stellar so far and the small extra monthly charge is worth the peace of mind.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Flashfox:

Thanks for the update. I am using BHN's modem with my Lightning service and although I am now tempted in getting my own, I will more than likely keep what I have now.

I like to "customize" my electronic toys (aka root phones, build computers, modify my ham radio equipment,etc.) but as BHN will remotely manage the modem and can flash it at will, it would be a waste for me.

After all, BHN's service has been stellar so far and the small extra monthly charge is worth the peace of mind.

This is NOT the place to discuss the "things" you like to do to devices in that arena Flashfox especially where you were going with that one. I will say this once and only once and for everyones benefit...that would be an unwise idea...very unwise.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Guide_Tim

Premium Member

to Guide_Tim
said by Guide_Tim:

Does this mean I can use my own DOCSIS3.0 cable modem with Lightning ???????? i currently use Motorola SB6121 on Turbo without any issues

Not going to answer that because it tells me you didn't read the page I provided the link for a reason Tim

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Flashfox:

This is NOT the place to discuss the "things" you like to do to devices in that arena Flashfox especially where you were going with that one. I will say this once and only once and for everyones benefit...that would be an unwise idea...very unwise.

I wholeheartedly agree! My comment was to to place everything into perspective. However, I agree that it can be misinterpreted. So...

For the record: Although my phone carrier (T-Mobile) tolerates customized ROMs on my Android phone. it is a totally different story when it comes to cable modems. Over the years, I never tweaked any of my cable modems... but I do like to be able to "see the stats" (blame it on my engineering background

Guide_Tim
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim to Kwik

to Kwik
Gary I'm very sad my Motorola SB6121 isnt on that approved list
If i purchased the Motorola SB6141 that is on the approved list, can I use that on the Lightning ????????
Guide_Tim

Guide_Tim

Gary I know your there knock knock knock
If i purchased the Motorola SB6141 that is on the approved list, can I use that on the Lightning ? And I wouldn't have to pay the $50 install charge right ?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Guide_Tim:

Gary I know your there knock knock knock
If i purchased the Motorola SB6141 that is on the approved list, can I use that on the Lightning ? And I wouldn't have to pay the $50 install charge right ?

C'mon I get a day off too once in a great while . What does the link say....it answers your question

Guide_Tim
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim to Kwik

to Kwik
Garyyyyyy Stop teasing me *cries* I'm confused on the approved modems page it says this
"DOCSIS 3.0 supports any level of service but is recommended for Road Runner Turbo and is required for Road Runner Lightning."
When you click on the link for road runner lightning you get this page
»support.brighthouse.com/ ··· ing-4700
Then it says the following:
"Did You Know?

A home visit is required to install the special modem that comes with Road Runner Lightning.

See why I'm confused ? It sounds like they want the cable man to install those Modem/Router combos (which I hate) and charge you the $50 install fee.
Gary Just tell me If we can use our own purchased cable modem as long as its on the approved modem LIST for LIGHTNING.
Just answer that and I promise I will stop bugging you about it
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Kwik

Premium Member

to Kwik
If your modem is on the list the answer is yes

Guide_Tim
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim to Kwik

to Kwik
Thank you very much Gary
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
What I can't find out is there ANY savings in providing one's modem if you have Lightning? I, at this time at least, can't see a charge for the modem? This page, »support.brighthouse.com/ ··· heet.pdf, on the last part, clearly indicates "• Includes FREE Wireless Home Networking", so can I 'assume' the wireless modem (which I have bridged) is provided at no charge?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ispalten:

What I can't find out is there ANY savings in providing one's modem if you have Lightning? I, at this time at least, can't see a charge for the modem? This page, »support.brighthouse.com/ ··· heet.pdf, on the last part, clearly indicates "• Includes FREE Wireless Home Networking", so can I 'assume' the wireless modem (which I have bridged) is provided at no charge?

No everyone who has our modem pays the $2 charge.

mo
@bhn.net

mo to Kwik

Anon

to Kwik
lol huge mistake on the page... ddw3611 IS Docsis 3.0 compliant otherwise I wouldn't be having lightning speed right now...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by mo :

lol huge mistake on the page... ddw3611 IS Docsis 3.0 compliant otherwise I wouldn't be having lightning speed right now...

You are absolutely correct. It will be changed in the morning, thank you!

WS
@bhn.net

WS to mo

Anon

to mo
This list is the same list that has been around for some time, »help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_rr ··· ems.aspx. I still don't see any DOCSIS 3.0 telephony modems. Will those be added soon?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by WS :

This list is the same list that has been around for some time, »help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_rr ··· ems.aspx. I still don't see any DOCSIS 3.0 telephony modems. Will those be added soon?

Do not use the TWC list please...use our list only as it is subject to change »support.brighthouse.com/ ··· ce-9109/

At this time there are no known retail available eMTA's. This may change down the road however they just aren't a common thing. When they become available you will be able to bring them provided they have been certified and are on the list.
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ to Kwik

to Kwik
What's different between the SB6121 and the SB6141 that make the first one incompatible with Brighthouse's network?

Guide_Tim
Taft, CA

1 edit

Guide_Tim to Kwik

to Kwik
According the PDF for the SB6141 it uses the SAME firmware as the SB6121 if they wanted they can push the firmware to the SB6121 but would they ??
"Benefits
Easily add the SB6141
to a deployed family of
SB6120s and SB6121s,
all three models utilize
the same firmware
image. This reduces
qualification time
for an Operator and
eliminates configuration
management headaches."
PDF link here
»www.motorola.com/staticf ··· S-EN.pdf
Its a disappointment that the SB6121 isn't on the approved modems list its more popular, but knowing me I will save up some money and buy the SB6141 on Amazon so i can use it on Lightning eventually
Paralipsis
join:2012-06-22
Marion, IN

Paralipsis to Kwik

to Kwik
Just called the Indianapolis branch and they said they were still unable to allow me to use my DOCSIS 3.0 modem (SB6141, but they didn't even ask what model it was) and had no idea when it would be possible.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Paralipsis:

Just called the Indianapolis branch and they said they were still unable to allow me to use my DOCSIS 3.0 modem (SB6141, but they didn't even ask what model it was) and had no idea when it would be possible.

Please open a direct forums thread and include your modem IP so I can pull your account information.

KwiK
@bhn.net

KwiK to Kwik

Anon

to Kwik
Any answer to Tim34CA's post above? Currently have the the SB6120, and have accepted defeat, but if they are running the same firmware versions I'm curious.

Guide_Tim
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim to Kwik

to Kwik
said by Paralipsis:

"Just called the Indianapolis branch and they said they were still unable to allow me to use my DOCSIS 3.0 modem (SB6141, but they didn't even ask what model it was) and had no idea when it would be possible."
BHNTECHXPERT "Please open a direct forums thread and include your modem IP so I can pull your account information."

Gary are some branches/regions still not allowing Customer Owned Modems on Lightning? or did Paralipsis get a person that wasnt aware of the new Modem list protocols ??
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Guide_Tim:

said by Paralipsis:

"Just called the Indianapolis branch and they said they were still unable to allow me to use my DOCSIS 3.0 modem (SB6141, but they didn't even ask what model it was) and had no idea when it would be possible."
BHNTECHXPERT "Please open a direct forums thread and include your modem IP so I can pull your account information."

Gary are some branches/regions still not allowing Customer Owned Modems on Lightning? or did Paralipsis get a person that wasnt aware of the new Modem list protocols ??

Nope... his concern has been taken care of and he is now running on his 6141.
LeapFroggie
join:2002-09-27
Tampa Bay

LeapFroggie to Kwik

to Kwik

Re: St. Petersburg - Installing personally owned Modem

Thought you would like to see this (redacted) chat session from Brighthouse. Is this right, are they really going to require a truck roll / $53 charge just to call in a MAC address change?

Live Chat Support
Christie
E-Care Customer Support
Chat History

Welcome to Bright House Networks. My name is Christie, how may I help you?

Me: I am planning on swapping out my Brighthouse provided cable modem for a Brighthouse approved customer owned modem. Can you please advise (1) who I should contact phone number to provide the MAC address of the new modem and (2) what I should do with the old modem to insure that I am not charged a monthly rental fee for it?

Christie: Thank you for choosing Bright House Networks. My name is Christie and I would be happy to assist you.

Christie: Good morning! How are you?

Me: Fine, thanks.

Christie: May I have your account number please?

Me: ……………

Christie: Thank you, in order to use a customer owned modem our technician has to come physically to the home to add the Mac address. The fee for this is $52.95.

Me: The MAC address is not set at the customer's premises; it just needs to be updated in your system.

Me: The letter that Brighthouse sent out doesn't say anything about a fee for changing out the modem.

Christie: Correct. The process we follow is to have a technician to home to get that Mac address and there is a fee for that.

Me: I have the MAC address for you, I just need to know who to call it in to.

Me: The MAC address is on a label on the outside of the modem.

Christie: We do not do that from here. I apologize. Our procedure is to have the technician out to the home to get the Mac address.

Me: The technician won't have anything to do - I don't see why you would do a truck roll when I can call it in myself. That is what every other cable company is the U.S. is doing.

Christie: This is our procedure and we have to follow it. If there is an existing customer who wants to use their own modem they have to have a technician come out and physically get the Mac address and they have to add it to the system.

Me: The St. Petersburg Times ran an article on this today and it does not say anything about a fee.

Me: The cost of Internet and phone service is about to go up for many Bright House Networks customers.

Starting Oct. 1, the cable provider is adding a $2 monthly fee for the use of a company-supplied modem required for high-speed Internet and phone service. It does not apply to people who have their own modem or cable service exclusively.

News of the fee did not sit well with customers such as 82-year-old Roland Kissinger, a longtime subscriber who lives in Treasure Island.

"I think it's ridiculous,'' he said. "It's like charging $2 to wash your dishes at a restaurant. It should be part of the cost of doing business.''

He said the company constantly "finds excuses to raise the rates'' without regard to customers, who have limited options in service providers.

The modem fee comes on top of other incremental monthly increases, including for converters and DVR service.

Bright House officials sent affected customers a notice of the new fee on Sept. 14. The fee will cover the installation, service and support of the modem.

"It was one of the many things that Bright House covered,'' said company spokesman Joe Durkin. "Since then we've added a lot of services at no charge.''

Customers who don't want to pay the fee can call Bright House to remove the modem for free, he said. To continue service, however, they would have to buy, install and maintain their own modems, which cost about $100.

Me: I have my own modem and I want to install and maintain it myself.

Christie: Correct but you have to follow our procedure and pay the fee to have us add it to your account.

Me: That is illogical. To whom should I address my concern?

Christie: Please bare with me and I will find that out for you.

Me: I'd be happy to bare with you, but perhaps bearing with you would be more appropriate.

Thank you for choosing Bright House Networks.

You may close this chat session by clicking on the End button in the bottom left corner of the screen.

(Note – I did not close the session, apparently we had a ‘network failure’.)

Guide_Tim
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim to Kwik

to Kwik

Re: Installing personally owned Modem

LeapFroggie sounds like he had a horrible experience dealing with BHN customer support. Gary does St. Petersburg BHN have their "own" way of doing things in regards to customer owned modems? Were they really going to charge the poor guy $53 just to have a guy come out and input his Modems MAC address into the system??
I hope this "Christine" wasn't fully aware about the customer owned modems procedure and gave the wrong information. It would be very tragic if other BHN region/Branches charge $53 to have a guy come out and Read the MAC address. The customer should just call and give MAC address with no $53 charge. Gary Perhaps you should suggest to the Supervisors of BHN to send out a MASS MEMO to all customer support reps about the customer owned Modems guidelines. I think ALL Branches should be on the same page and Customer service Reps need to be on the same page. I would really like to see what the outcome of LeapFroggie experience trying to active his Modem. Please keep us posted Gary thanks