Search similar:

uniqs
LeapFroggie
join:2002-09-27
Tampa Bay

LeapFroggie to Guide_Tim

to Guide_Tim

Re: Installing personally owned Modem

Just another thought on this.... In most service areas Comcast uses the 'walled garden' approach to self-registration of modems. You can just hook up your DOCSIS-compliant modem and then open a browser window, and from there provide your account number and other credentials and 'poof', your new modem is registered and operational. Any firmware updates then follow.

Seems to me a logical alternative to the 'truck roll'.

Guide_Tim
join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim

LeapFroggie please open a Direct Forum Post and provide BHNtechXpert with your MAC address (thats already in the system) and your Current IP address , He will investigate and get to the bottom of this , cause something just does not sound right.
»/fo ··· sedirect
LeapFroggie
Tampa Bay

LeapFroggie

Will do... thanks!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to LeapFroggie

Premium Member

to LeapFroggie

Re: St. Petersburg - Installing personally owned Modem

said by LeapFroggie:

Thought you would like to see this (redacted) chat session from Brighthouse. Is this right, are they really going to require a truck roll / $53 charge just to call in a MAC address change?

Live Chat Support
Christie
E-Care Customer Support
Chat History

Welcome to Bright House Networks. My name is Christie, how may I help you?

Me: I am planning on swapping out my Brighthouse provided cable modem for a Brighthouse approved customer owned modem. Can you please advise (1) who I should contact phone number to provide the MAC address of the new modem and (2) what I should do with the old modem to insure that I am not charged a monthly rental fee for it?

Christie: Thank you for choosing Bright House Networks. My name is Christie and I would be happy to assist you.

Christie: Good morning! How are you?

Me: Fine, thanks.

Christie: May I have your account number please?

Me: ……………

Christie: Thank you, in order to use a customer owned modem our technician has to come physically to the home to add the Mac address. The fee for this is $52.95.

Me: The MAC address is not set at the customer's premises; it just needs to be updated in your system.

Me: The letter that Brighthouse sent out doesn't say anything about a fee for changing out the modem.

Christie: Correct. The process we follow is to have a technician to home to get that Mac address and there is a fee for that.

Me: I have the MAC address for you, I just need to know who to call it in to.

Me: The MAC address is on a label on the outside of the modem.

Christie: We do not do that from here. I apologize. Our procedure is to have the technician out to the home to get the Mac address.

Me: The technician won't have anything to do - I don't see why you would do a truck roll when I can call it in myself. That is what every other cable company is the U.S. is doing.

Christie: This is our procedure and we have to follow it. If there is an existing customer who wants to use their own modem they have to have a technician come out and physically get the Mac address and they have to add it to the system.

Me: The St. Petersburg Times ran an article on this today and it does not say anything about a fee.

Me: The cost of Internet and phone service is about to go up for many Bright House Networks customers.

Starting Oct. 1, the cable provider is adding a $2 monthly fee for the use of a company-supplied modem required for high-speed Internet and phone service. It does not apply to people who have their own modem or cable service exclusively.

News of the fee did not sit well with customers such as 82-year-old Roland Kissinger, a longtime subscriber who lives in Treasure Island.

"I think it's ridiculous,'' he said. "It's like charging $2 to wash your dishes at a restaurant. It should be part of the cost of doing business.''

He said the company constantly "finds excuses to raise the rates'' without regard to customers, who have limited options in service providers.

The modem fee comes on top of other incremental monthly increases, including for converters and DVR service.

Bright House officials sent affected customers a notice of the new fee on Sept. 14. The fee will cover the installation, service and support of the modem.

"It was one of the many things that Bright House covered,'' said company spokesman Joe Durkin. "Since then we've added a lot of services at no charge.''

Customers who don't want to pay the fee can call Bright House to remove the modem for free, he said. To continue service, however, they would have to buy, install and maintain their own modems, which cost about $100.

Me: I have my own modem and I want to install and maintain it myself.

Christie: Correct but you have to follow our procedure and pay the fee to have us add it to your account.

Me: That is illogical. To whom should I address my concern?

Christie: Please bare with me and I will find that out for you.

Me: I'd be happy to bare with you, but perhaps bearing with you would be more appropriate.

Thank you for choosing Bright House Networks.

You may close this chat session by clicking on the End button in the bottom left corner of the screen.

(Note – I did not close the session, apparently we had a ‘network failure’.)

This is NOT correct and I will address it...please open a direct forums thread and I will get on this right away.
rjla67
join:2012-03-01
New Port Richey, FL

rjla67

I'm on hold now and am hearing the same thing. They won't activate new modem and want to send out a tech.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by rjla67:

I'm on hold now and am hearing the same thing. They won't activate new modem and want to send out a tech.

Please open a direct forums thread so I can contact you asap. Thank you...
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to LeapFroggie

Premium Member

to LeapFroggie

said by LeapFroggie:

Will do... thanks!

Leap it was great speaking with you today and I'm to say you are up and running on your new modem Let me know if you need anything at all please.
LeapFroggie
Tampa Bay

LeapFroggie to Kwik

to Kwik
Hey everybody - We are SO LUCKY to have Gary the BHNtechXpert as our resource. It took him just a few minutes to straighten out the Brighthouse bureaucracy and get my modem online.

Indeed, for internet only service (e.g., no eMTA required) the entire transaction can be done over the phone and at no charge. Be sure to have your modem model, serial number, and MAC address handy when you call. If you have any problems getting the right answer from customer service just drop a note on the Direct Forum to BHNtechXpert and he'll take care of it.

Good job Gary, and THANK YOU.

Guide_Tim
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim

LeapFroggie I'm sooooo happy Gary took care of you and got your Modem Activated !!!! We are truly blessed to have Gary the BHNtechXpert he is a great asset To this forum. It is nice to deal with someone that actually knows what they are talking about and will assist you CORRECTLY. When I get my SB6141 modem for Lightning I'm going to bypass the Brighthouse bureaucracy and talk directly to Gary to help activate modem.
BHNtechXpert Gary you ROCK !!!!
LeapFroggie
Tampa Bay

LeapFroggie

And thanks to you, too Tim for your advice relative to the BHN Direct Forum. That was very helpful.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rjla67

Premium Member

to rjla67

Re: St. Petersburg - Installing personally owned Modem

said by rjla67:

Thanks again rjla67 for reaching out to me. As we discussed your own modem is now operational and if you need anything at all please let me know...
rjla67
join:2012-03-01
New Port Richey, FL

rjla67

Thanks very much Gary. If anyone EVER needs any help, Gary is amazing. Not too often will you find someone that is not only passionate about their job, but also helping others.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by rjla67:

Thanks very much Gary. If anyone EVER needs any help, Gary is amazing. Not too often will you find someone that is not only passionate about their job, but also helping others.

Very kind thank you!
Boilermaker
join:2001-12-20
Carmel, IN

Boilermaker to Kwik

to Kwik

I have a question: does a DOCSIS 3.0 modem need to be on the list if I have a non-Lightning (10/1 plan)? I have three modems of my own that I would like to try, but I do not know if it is even allowed.

My impression was that the modem had to be on the list only if you had or were getting Lightning. Is that correct?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Kwik

Premium Member

to Kwik
Please check the approved modems list first against what you have.
Boilermaker
Carmel, IN

Boilermaker

My modem is not on the list.

I think I understand. The list is of the modems that are approved. I thought it was the "list of modems supported by Bright House Networks" as in you may use a different one but all bets are off if it will actually work.

I think this is the quote from the modem policies page that made me think that non-supported modems may work:
Please be advised that BHN may not be able to upgrade or change the firmware on customer-owned Modems that are not supported by BHN. As a result, BHN reserves the right to provide services only to customers with BHN supported DOCSIS-compliant Modems.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Boilermaker:

My modem is not on the list.

I think I understand. The list is of the modems that are approved. I thought it was the "list of modems supported by Bright House Networks" as in you may use a different one but all bets are off if it will actually work.

I think this is the quote from the modem policies page that made me think that non-supported modems may work:

Please be advised that BHN may not be able to upgrade or change the firmware on customer-owned Modems that are not supported by BHN. As a result, BHN reserves the right to provide services only to customers with BHN supported DOCSIS-compliant Modems.

Why would that make you think that? It's pretty clear... and to be honest you don't want a modem that isn't on that list period. It will receive no firmware updates and with what I know of these devices you want those updates and you want them to play well with the network they are attached to.
Boilermaker
Carmel, IN

Boilermaker

Actually, I am not familiar with what the firmware updates will bring. Are these standard manufacturer firmwares that I could download from the manufacturer's website, or are these firmwares tweaked for Brighthouse? I ask because I am curious.

Please do not misunderstand; I do want to play well with the network.

My thought was that the modem would either work or not work at all. I did not see it causing a disruption to others. I assumed that a standard-compliant DOCSIS 3.0 modem would work with the network without causing problems.

The current Brighthouse-supplied modem I am using is:
Netgear Cable Modem Gateway<<HW_REV: 1.00; VENDOR: Netgear; BOOTR: 2.1.7f01; SW_REV: V4.4.2R05; MODEL: CGD24CPR>>

The latest firmware for the CGD24G is 4.4.8, but I cannot find the latest version for the CGD24CPR.

Without updates, what kind of things may happen?

Thank you.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Boilermaker:

Actually, I am not familiar with what the firmware updates will bring. Are these standard manufacturer firmwares that I could download from the manufacturer's website, or are these firmwares tweaked for Brighthouse? I ask because I am curious.

Please do not misunderstand; I do want to play well with the network.

My thought was that the modem would either work or not work at all. I did not see it causing a disruption to others. I assumed that a standard-compliant DOCSIS 3.0 modem would work with the network without causing problems.

The current Brighthouse-supplied modem I am using is:
Netgear Cable Modem Gateway<<HW_REV: 1.00; VENDOR: Netgear; BOOTR: 2.1.7f01; SW_REV: V4.4.2R05; MODEL: CGD24CPR>>

The latest firmware for the CGD24G is 4.4.8, but I cannot find the latest version for the CGD24CPR.

Without updates, what kind of things may happen?

Thank you.

Just depends on the update. I too really do not want to get into the technical aspects of this because frankly there's way way too much to cover and not enough time (sorry but I'm one guy in a lot of places and service impactful issues come first)...suffice it to say (and it's really good advice) either stick with our provided modem or go with one on the list....period. If you live in Florida or some other lightning prone area you are far better with our modem then your own.
Boilermaker
Carmel, IN

Boilermaker

said by BHNtechXpert:

Just depends on the update. I too really do not want to get into the technical aspects of this because frankly there's way way too much to cover and not enough time (sorry but I'm one guy in a lot of places and service impactful issues come first)...suffice it to say (and it's really good advice) either stick with our provided modem or go with one on the list....period. If you live in Florida or some other lightning prone area you are far better with our modem then your own.

Well, these three modems I have were free, so I am not too concerned about lightning, which is not as common as it is in Florida. It took me a second to realize you meant lightning and not Lightning.

I will probably stick with the provided modem and look into buying a better modem off the list at some later time. I assume DOCSIS 3.0 modems on the list can be used with a non-Lightning plan.

Would you happen to know if the Brighthouse Netgear modem will be getting any firmware updates?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Kwik

Premium Member

to Kwik
Thank you for giving me hope... You noticed the difference between the act of nature lightning and product name Lightning

Yes you may use a lower class of service on a D3. As for the Netgear modems yes we do still push updates as needed.
KatalogKarl
join:2012-10-01
Hernando, FL

KatalogKarl

I have to also mention that BHNtechxpert is downright involved. And its not often nowadays that one would do as much as he. And with this topic it may even get murkier for him to deal with personally owned modems because of vendors one has to trust when buying such electronic units. And if it isn't from the manufacturer themselves a whole bunch of problems may pop up. When Gary and some post advices BH supplied (modems) as long as the package (what one wants) and what one can afford, It may make sense. At least here its a way of BH to find out what customers need and can ask. Gary is still working on my problem and can't thank him enough to at least answer my questions and not just "boot you off" like some other suppliers of cable. At this level BH has raised a bit in my book.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by KatalogKarl:

I have to also mention that BHNtechxpert is downright involved. And its not often nowadays that one would do as much as he. And with this topic it may even get murkier for him to deal with personally owned modems because of vendors one has to trust when buying such electronic units. And if it isn't from the manufacturer themselves a whole bunch of problems may pop up. When Gary and some post advices BH supplied (modems) as long as the package (what one wants) and what one can afford, It may make sense. At least here its a way of BH to find out what customers need and can ask. Gary is still working on my problem and can't thank him enough to at least answer my questions and not just "boot you off" like some other suppliers of cable. At this level BH has raised a bit in my book.

My pleasure and we will talk again on Monday.
theaceman
join:2012-10-15
Pinellas Park, FL

theaceman to Kwik

to Kwik
Got a hold of a SB6141 and called to have activated. At first the rep informed me that they could send someone out, but I insisted that I should be able to do it over the phone.

She referred to an internal email that bring-your-own modem activation over the phone doesn't start until the 17th? She checked with a supervisor and they "tried" to activate but received an error message saying the system won't be upgraded until the 17th.

Just curious, haven't seen mention of this date before--- don't mind waiting the 2 days, just seems odd... any insight?

Been trolling for a while, love the helpful info!

Guide_Tim
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim

WOW this is just another example of BHN Reps not being on the same page. Activating your Modem SB6141(Yes its on the approved modems list) CAN be done over the phone. I don't know why they are so quick to Roll a truck out costing BHN time and money when this can be done over the phone !!!!
Please Open a Direct Forum and post there Please detail your issue and please post your Current IP address and MAC address to the Cable Modem that is currently active on your account Rest assured BHNtechXpert Gary will get to the bottom of this issue and get your SB6141 activated for you ASAP
»/fo ··· sedirect
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert to theaceman

Premium Member

to theaceman
said by theaceman:

Got a hold of a SB6141 and called to have activated. At first the rep informed me that they could send someone out, but I insisted that I should be able to do it over the phone.

She referred to an internal email that bring-your-own modem activation over the phone doesn't start until the 17th? She checked with a supervisor and they "tried" to activate but received an error message saying the system won't be upgraded until the 17th.

Just curious, haven't seen mention of this date before--- don't mind waiting the 2 days, just seems odd... any insight?

Sigh this is not correct entirely...meaning you don't have to wait until then...please open a direct forums thread and include your IP AND a picture of the sticker on the modem and I will get it activated from here.
BHNtechXpert

3 edits

BHNtechXpert to theaceman

Premium Member

to theaceman
said by theaceman:

This is not correct...while there is tweak to the process you dont need to wait until then...please open a direct forums thread and include your IP AND a picture of the sticker on the modem and I will get it activated from here.
theaceman
join:2012-10-15
Pinellas Park, FL

theaceman to Kwik

to Kwik
Thanks, Tim/Gary. It sounded funky to me too.
I posted in the direct forums.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits

BHNtechXpert to Kwik

Premium Member

to Kwik
Sorry for the confusion. I will get this over in just a bit...if your current modem goes offline go ahead and switch modems.

Guide_Tim
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim to Kwik

to Kwik
Click for full size
channel bonding
I'm using a Motorola SB6141 With Lightning , Just wondering if my modem is using all 8 bonding channels?. And do my power levels look good ?