BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to rjla67

Re: St. Petersburg - Installing personally owned Modem

said by rjla67:

I'm on hold now and am hearing the same thing. They won't activate new modem and want to send out a tech.

Thanks again rjla67 for reaching out to me. As we discussed your own modem is now operational and if you need anything at all please let me know...
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

rjla67

join:2012-03-01
New Port Richey, FL

Thanks very much Gary. If anyone EVER needs any help, Gary is amazing. Not too often will you find someone that is not only passionate about their job, but also helping others.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by rjla67:

Thanks very much Gary. If anyone EVER needs any help, Gary is amazing. Not too often will you find someone that is not only passionate about their job, but also helping others.

Very kind thank you!
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Boilermaker

join:2001-12-20
Carmel, IN
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Kwik

Re: Installing personally owned Modem

I have a question: does a DOCSIS 3.0 modem need to be on the list if I have a non-Lightning (10/1 plan)? I have three modems of my own that I would like to try, but I do not know if it is even allowed.

My impression was that the modem had to be on the list only if you had or were getting Lightning. Is that correct?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Kwik

Please check the approved modems list first against what you have.

Boilermaker

Carmel, IN
Reviews:
·Bright House

My modem is not on the list.

I think I understand. The list is of the modems that are approved. I thought it was the "list of modems supported by Bright House Networks" as in you may use a different one but all bets are off if it will actually work.

I think this is the quote from the modem policies page that made me think that non-supported modems may work:

Please be advised that BHN may not be able to upgrade or change the firmware on customer-owned Modems that are not supported by BHN. As a result, BHN reserves the right to provide services only to customers with BHN supported DOCSIS-compliant Modems.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Boilermaker:

My modem is not on the list.

I think I understand. The list is of the modems that are approved. I thought it was the "list of modems supported by Bright House Networks" as in you may use a different one but all bets are off if it will actually work.

I think this is the quote from the modem policies page that made me think that non-supported modems may work:

Please be advised that BHN may not be able to upgrade or change the firmware on customer-owned Modems that are not supported by BHN. As a result, BHN reserves the right to provide services only to customers with BHN supported DOCSIS-compliant Modems.

Why would that make you think that? It's pretty clear... and to be honest you don't want a modem that isn't on that list period. It will receive no firmware updates and with what I know of these devices you want those updates and you want them to play well with the network they are attached to.
--

Boilermaker

Carmel, IN
Reviews:
·Bright House

Actually, I am not familiar with what the firmware updates will bring. Are these standard manufacturer firmwares that I could download from the manufacturer's website, or are these firmwares tweaked for Brighthouse? I ask because I am curious.

Please do not misunderstand; I do want to play well with the network.

My thought was that the modem would either work or not work at all. I did not see it causing a disruption to others. I assumed that a standard-compliant DOCSIS 3.0 modem would work with the network without causing problems.

The current Brighthouse-supplied modem I am using is:
Netgear Cable Modem Gateway<<HW_REV: 1.00; VENDOR: Netgear; BOOTR: 2.1.7f01; SW_REV: V4.4.2R05; MODEL: CGD24CPR>>

The latest firmware for the CGD24G is 4.4.8, but I cannot find the latest version for the CGD24CPR.

Without updates, what kind of things may happen?

Thank you.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Boilermaker:

Actually, I am not familiar with what the firmware updates will bring. Are these standard manufacturer firmwares that I could download from the manufacturer's website, or are these firmwares tweaked for Brighthouse? I ask because I am curious.

Please do not misunderstand; I do want to play well with the network.

My thought was that the modem would either work or not work at all. I did not see it causing a disruption to others. I assumed that a standard-compliant DOCSIS 3.0 modem would work with the network without causing problems.

The current Brighthouse-supplied modem I am using is:
Netgear Cable Modem Gateway<<HW_REV: 1.00; VENDOR: Netgear; BOOTR: 2.1.7f01; SW_REV: V4.4.2R05; MODEL: CGD24CPR>>

The latest firmware for the CGD24G is 4.4.8, but I cannot find the latest version for the CGD24CPR.

Without updates, what kind of things may happen?

Thank you.

Just depends on the update. I too really do not want to get into the technical aspects of this because frankly there's way way too much to cover and not enough time (sorry but I'm one guy in a lot of places and service impactful issues come first)...suffice it to say (and it's really good advice) either stick with our provided modem or go with one on the list....period. If you live in Florida or some other lightning prone area you are far better with our modem then your own.
--

Boilermaker

Carmel, IN
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by BHNtechXpert:

Just depends on the update. I too really do not want to get into the technical aspects of this because frankly there's way way too much to cover and not enough time (sorry but I'm one guy in a lot of places and service impactful issues come first)...suffice it to say (and it's really good advice) either stick with our provided modem or go with one on the list....period. If you live in Florida or some other lightning prone area you are far better with our modem then your own.

Well, these three modems I have were free, so I am not too concerned about lightning, which is not as common as it is in Florida. It took me a second to realize you meant lightning and not Lightning.

I will probably stick with the provided modem and look into buying a better modem off the list at some later time. I assume DOCSIS 3.0 modems on the list can be used with a non-Lightning plan.

Would you happen to know if the Brighthouse Netgear modem will be getting any firmware updates?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Kwik

Thank you for giving me hope... You noticed the difference between the act of nature lightning and product name Lightning

Yes you may use a lower class of service on a D3. As for the Netgear modems yes we do still push updates as needed.

KatalogKarl

join:2012-10-01
Hernando, FL

I have to also mention that BHNtechxpert is downright involved. And its not often nowadays that one would do as much as he. And with this topic it may even get murkier for him to deal with personally owned modems because of vendors one has to trust when buying such electronic units. And if it isn't from the manufacturer themselves a whole bunch of problems may pop up. When Gary and some post advices BH supplied (modems) as long as the package (what one wants) and what one can afford, It may make sense. At least here its a way of BH to find out what customers need and can ask. Gary is still working on my problem and can't thank him enough to at least answer my questions and not just "boot you off" like some other suppliers of cable. At this level BH has raised a bit in my book.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by KatalogKarl:

I have to also mention that BHNtechxpert is downright involved. And its not often nowadays that one would do as much as he. And with this topic it may even get murkier for him to deal with personally owned modems because of vendors one has to trust when buying such electronic units. And if it isn't from the manufacturer themselves a whole bunch of problems may pop up. When Gary and some post advices BH supplied (modems) as long as the package (what one wants) and what one can afford, It may make sense. At least here its a way of BH to find out what customers need and can ask. Gary is still working on my problem and can't thank him enough to at least answer my questions and not just "boot you off" like some other suppliers of cable. At this level BH has raised a bit in my book.

My pleasure and we will talk again on Monday.
--

theaceman

join:2012-10-15
Pinellas Park, FL
reply to Kwik

Got a hold of a SB6141 and called to have activated. At first the rep informed me that they could send someone out, but I insisted that I should be able to do it over the phone.

She referred to an internal email that bring-your-own modem activation over the phone doesn't start until the 17th? She checked with a supervisor and they "tried" to activate but received an error message saying the system won't be upgraded until the 17th.

Just curious, haven't seen mention of this date before--- don't mind waiting the 2 days, just seems odd... any insight?

Been trolling for a while, love the helpful info!

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

WOW this is just another example of BHN Reps not being on the same page. Activating your Modem SB6141(Yes its on the approved modems list) CAN be done over the phone. I don't know why they are so quick to Roll a truck out costing BHN time and money when this can be done over the phone !!!!
Please Open a Direct Forum and post there Please detail your issue and please post your Current IP address and MAC address to the Cable Modem that is currently active on your account Rest assured BHNtechXpert Gary will get to the bottom of this issue and get your SB6141 activated for you ASAP
»Bright House Networks Direct
--
Bakersfield Region Taft CA Brighthouse Customer Since 2003

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to theaceman

said by theaceman:

Got a hold of a SB6141 and called to have activated. At first the rep informed me that they could send someone out, but I insisted that I should be able to do it over the phone.

She referred to an internal email that bring-your-own modem activation over the phone doesn't start until the 17th? She checked with a supervisor and they "tried" to activate but received an error message saying the system won't be upgraded until the 17th.

Just curious, haven't seen mention of this date before--- don't mind waiting the 2 days, just seems odd... any insight?

Sigh this is not correct entirely...meaning you don't have to wait until then...please open a direct forums thread and include your IP AND a picture of the sticker on the modem and I will get it activated from here.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

3 edits
reply to theaceman

said by theaceman:

This is not correct...while there is tweak to the process you dont need to wait until then...please open a direct forums thread and include your IP AND a picture of the sticker on the modem and I will get it activated from here.
--

theaceman

join:2012-10-15
Pinellas Park, FL
reply to Kwik

Thanks, Tim/Gary. It sounded funky to me too.
I posted in the direct forums.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits
reply to Kwik

Sorry for the confusion. I will get this over in just a bit...if your current modem goes offline go ahead and switch modems.

Guide_Tim

Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Kwik

Click for full size
channel bonding
I'm using a Motorola SB6141 With Lightning , Just wondering if my modem is using all 8 bonding channels?. And do my power levels look good ?
--

Guide_Tim

Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 edit

Click for full size
I'm using a Motorola SB6141 With Lightning , Just wondering if my modem is using all 8 bonding channels?. And do my power levels look good ?
Hello is anyone there ? lol

Csiler

@myvzw.com
reply to Guide_Tim

Gary i have a motorola sb5101n i used this modem in ocala with BHN services. I recently moved to orlando and wanted to use the same modem as i used in ocala. And was informed that it was not on the list by one rep and they seen the modem come online then go offline by another rep. I see that the sb501 is on the list but is not Docsis 3.0 supported i opted for the 10mb connection which i know is good up to 30mb with the modem i have. Other words 6 months ago i had this modem connected at brighthouse in ocala and now i moved to orlando some say its not supported. Is this true? And might i ask why? Thank you in advance!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Kwik

Let me check the list real quick and get back to ya..

Guide_Tim

Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House

OMG according to the BHN "Approved Modem List" The Motorola SB6141 is no longer supported. When did this happen it was on the approved list just a week ago ?????????????? Soo many customers Bought their SB6141 from amazon when the updated approved modems list came out like 5 months ago.

Can anyone shed some light on why the SB6141 is no longer on the approved customer owned modems list now ?????
»support.brighthouse.com/article/···ce-9109/
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Guide_Tim:

OMG according to the BHN "Approved Modem List" The Motorola SB6141 is no longer supported. When did this happen it was on the approved list just a week ago ?????????????? Soo many customers Bought their SB6141 from amazon when the updated approved modems list came out like 5 months ago.

Can anyone shed some light on why the SB6141 is no longer on the approved customer owned modems list now ?????
»support.brighthouse.com/article/···ce-9109/

I'm looking into it don't worry.
--

Guide_Tim

Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House

Thank you Gary I was in complete shock when i saw that big fat NO next to SB6141 on the list Cause there was a Beautiful YES for SB6141 for many months now. Please keep me updated cause I have the SB6141 and so do alot of others I will be here waiting patiently thanks
--

CrimPhoenix

join:2013-01-09
reply to Kwik

How long does it typically take to have the mac address for my bright house internet account updated to the mac address from my shiny new SB6141?

I just got off the live chat support with an individual named Pat C, who told me it could take two days to have this change processed... When I inquired if technicians can be on-site for calls and have modems activated and de-activated on the fly but not when I call/chat with customer support, they indicated that the statement provided was correct. But because I did not have technician on-site, it would take up to two days. They even indicated that if I called in to the technical support line, it would not make things move along any faster.

As I am hoping that this cable modem will correct the horrible up and down connection issues that we currently experience at the house, I obviously was hoping that this would get switched over sooner.

Thanks!
Jason

Guide_Tim

Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House

Well for me I called my LOCAL Brighthouse network office and they activated my SB6141 over the phone in 10 minutes. Now if you call the National Road Runner Help desk then yea they might give you some delays. Heck I've seen BHNtechXpert activate customers new modems like within minutes of them opening a direct Forums post. Just enter your Current IP address and post the new modem's MAC that you want activated , I'm sure BHNtechXpert can activate it with just a few clicks Here is the link to provide him with your information »Bright House Networks Direct
Hope this helps
--

CrimPhoenix

join:2013-01-09

Thanks Tim, I posted in the forum you suggested!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to CrimPhoenix

said by CrimPhoenix:

How long does it typically take to have the mac address for my bright house internet account updated to the mac address from my shiny new SB6141?

I just got off the live chat support with an individual named Pat C, who told me it could take two days to have this change processed... When I inquired if technicians can be on-site for calls and have modems activated and de-activated on the fly but not when I call/chat with customer support, they indicated that the statement provided was correct. But because I did not have technician on-site, it would take up to two days. They even indicated that if I called in to the technical support line, it would not make things move along any faster.

As I am hoping that this cable modem will correct the horrible up and down connection issues that we currently experience at the house, I obviously was hoping that this would get switched over sooner.

Thanks!
Jason

A new modem is not going to solve connection problems if it's signal related. In fact swapping the modem before properly determining the problem could temporarily mask the real problem. I would like to use this case as an example of why you should NEVER try to self diagnose these things. In the meantime Jason I will take a look and be in touch.
--