Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to John97

Re: Installing personally owned Modem

Yea I bought the SB6121 over a year ago from newegg I had the Turbo speed at the time 20/2 it worked flawlessly my download was more like 29 and upload about 2. Then I found out we can use our own modems on Lightning so I got the SB6141 cause it was on the approved list , the SB6141 works flawlessly as well and has upto 8 channel bonding so its future proof. SB6141 Works fantastic on Lightning speed 60/5. If BHN offered The Motorola SB6141 I would of been more then happy to pay the monthly lease fee
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:141
reply to Kwik

That is a good deal but as you noted the 6121 is not approved at this time.

trap

@rr.com

In Bakersfield, the tech said they just haven't tried the 6121 for compatability, yet others say it works fine. Any idea whay they haven't tried the 6121

trap

@rr.com
reply to BHNtechXpert

What would be wrong with purchasing the Motorola 5101, the current modem supplied by BHN, if the service is fine for our needs?

Thanks

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

2 edits

Motorola 5101 is fine for lite,standard, and Turbo.Actually I'm pretty sure BHN can provide you with a DOCSIS 3.0 For Turbo users for an extra $5 you will get a constant 30mb download , instead of a short burst. For the faster speed tiers you want a DOCSIS 3 Modem trust me. For Lightning a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem is required and you can purchase your own as long as its on the "approved modems list". Or you have the option to use a BHN provided DOCSIS 3.0 Modem
»support.brighthouse.com/article/···ce-9109/
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to trap

said by trap :

What would be wrong with purchasing the Motorola 5101, the current modem supplied by BHN, if the service is fine for our needs?

Thanks

The 5101 cannot be used for Turbo. Turbo now requires a D3 modem. Get the 6141 instead and that way you have something that is current technology.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

trap

@rr.com

Thanks Xpert,

I understand, but we are just using Standard internet. Is there really anything wrong w/ the 5101? What are the possible issues of using the 6121?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Kwik

For std 10/1 its fine provided its on our list but to upgrade you will need a D3. If you haven't checked the list do so and I'll double check myself...honestly I don't keep track of them all by memory.

trap

@rr.com

Thanks Xpert. I've looked on the list & no, the 5101 is not on the list. Here is what is confusing to me. According to the letter from BHN, I can continue with the furnished modem, the 5101, for an additional $3.50/ month or I can purchase my own. My question is: Why is it OK for BHN to continue "renting" me the 5101 @ $3.50/month, which is not on the list, but I shouldn't go out & buy my own 5101 because it's not on the list? Not trying to be problematic, it just doesn't seem right unless I'm missing something. Thanks in advance for your help & input.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by trap :

Thanks Xpert. I've looked on the list & no, the 5101 is not on the list. Here is what is confusing to me. According to the letter from BHN, I can continue with the furnished modem, the 5101, for an additional $3.50/ month or I can purchase my own. My question is: Why is it OK for BHN to continue "renting" me the 5101 @ $3.50/month, which is not on the list, but I shouldn't go out & buy my own 5101 because it's not on the list? Not trying to be problematic, it just doesn't seem right unless I'm missing something. Thanks in advance for your help & input.

I understand and without knowing what region I can't answer that question.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

trap

@rr.com

Bakersfield,CA

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Kwik

Actually the 5101 is approved for D2 (lite/std) only. The list is in error, our apologies. I will get the list updated and once this is done you can add your COE 5101.

trap

@bhn.net

Thank you Xpert. I appreciate your help

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Kwik

Are you ready?

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Guide_Tim

For those BHN Customers with Static IP Addresses over Residential Service, BHN will not allow you to use your own modem's at all. To be fair BHN resolved the Issue swiftly. I'd also like to thank BHNTechExpert for his insight on this matter.

Thank you BHN

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Kwik

Those who wish to bring their own modems cannot get static IP's and there are very good technical reasons for it. Essentially you have complete control over your personal modem including configuration menus for the statics. If you change those settings incorrectly or even accidentally you not only impact your own service but the service of potentially many others which is not something we're going to permit. If we provide you the modem we have the ability to prohibit modification of these settings which prevents this from happening.
--