You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON

Serbtastic to Hitman66610

Premium Member

to Hitman66610

Re: [Windows] Cannot get network shares working with Boxee Box

Change the following (all with 255.255.255.0 subnet mask / 192.168.0.1 gateway address):

Linksys - 192.168.0.2
Boxee -192.168.0.104
Xbox - 192.168.0.100
PS3 - leave DHCP
Netbook - leave DHCP
Gary - 192.168.0.121
Stashbox - 192.168.0.108
PS Vita - leave DHCP
iPhone - 192.168.0.117

Set your DHCP scope on the DLink to 192.168.0.50-192.168.0.99.

This should allow you to reach the web management interface on both the DLink and Linksys from ANY machine on the network. Remember, to reach the web management interface on the Linksys you'll need to use the NEW ADDRESS (192.168.0.2) after you make this change.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv to Hitman66610

to Hitman66610
Nice job on the diagram. So you have .224 for your WAN subnet mask - do you have 30 public IP's? If so, would you like to use any of those inside your network?

Hitman66610
Pan-National Aquisitioner
Premium Member
join:2010-01-08
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610 to Serbtastic

Premium Member

to Serbtastic
I did all that, but now I cannot access the web interface for the D-Link router for some reason. I type the IP address for it, and it just hangs and then says it could not connect. wtf

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

which computer are you using and what is it's current IP settings? After you change all these things you might have to reboot the devices.

Hitman66610
Premium Member
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610

Premium Member

I am using Gary, the laptop, and the IP is now 192.168.0.121. I rebooted both routers, but it still cannot access the D-Link router web config.

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

ok - and the linksys is 192.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.0 with g/w of 192.168.0.1? as well as Gary having having 255.255.255.0 and g/w 192.168.0.1? Also, are you connected from the Dlink to the Linksys from LAN port to LAN port, and have DHCP off in the Linksys (aka bridge mode)? I'm trying to understand how you are still able to access the internet but not the Dlink router interface.
bdnhsv

bdnhsv to Hitman66610

to Hitman66610
I just had one of those of wow moments. Is there any reason you need the Dlink router? What if you just had the linksys and it served as your router and WAP (including DHCP)? Is that an option or is there some other reason why you need both the Dlink and the Linksys?

Hitman66610
Premium Member
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610 to bdnhsv

Premium Member

to bdnhsv
YAY!!! It all worked. I did all of those things, along with what I did before, and now I can access stuff from my Boxee Box! Thanks guys :-D

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

good deal - glad it worked for you. If you have any other questions or issues please let us know.

Serbtastic
You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON

Serbtastic

Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback, good to know everything is now working. Often times, the OP never posts back once everything is resolved.

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.
join:2007-11-19
USA

LowInfoVoter to Hitman66610

to Hitman66610
speaking of boxee, i have one as well. check this thread out:

»jira.boxee.tv/browse/BOX ··· nt-62385

do not buy boxee. they don't give a sh!t.

Hitman66610
Premium Member
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610

Premium Member

Yea, I tried contacting their support about this issue. The only thing they said, literally, was that "if SMB is enabled in your Boxee settings, than your setup won't work, sorry for the inconvenience". Instead of helping me make the thing work, they basically said "sucks for you, but we already have your money".
Hitman66610

Hitman66610

Premium Member

Oh, one more question. Can anyone tell me how to prioritize Boxee sharing traffic over my network? I find it stutters a lot while I am trying to watch something. I can figure out how to do it for things trying to communicate with outside the network, but not devices communicating on the network itself.

LowInfoVoter
USA

LowInfoVoter

i get stuttering a lot too. it angers me so much. but i think it's an interference issue..

if you think the stuttering it's because of network congestion because you know that other things on your network are eating up a lot of bandwidth at the same time youre watching videos, then QOS is appropriate and can help you prioritize the traffic.

according to the manual for your dlink beast, you'd have to first prioritize traffic based on a "queue importance" setup that you define and then you prioritize traffic based on the protocol itself.

since all your boxee stuff is running on SMB, you'd have to prioritize UDP ports 137, 138 & TCP ports 137, 139 to whichever queue has the highest priority that you created.

Hitman66610
Premium Member
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610

Premium Member

D-Link QoS
I attached a screen cap of the QoS tab of the D-Link. I can't figure out what to put where, except for the port numbers. It seems it's designed to prioritize traffic to and from outside the network. What numbers do I put where, and would I have to do this for the Linksys router too?

LowInfoVoter
USA

1 recommendation

LowInfoVoter

before you screw around with all that, you need to ask yourself: is your stuttering occuring because other computers on your network are eating up LAN (not internet) bandwidth?

if you still get stuttering when nothing else is using the LAN, your problem isn't because of QOS. people use QOS primarily to make sure traffic aimed at the internet gets prioritized.

Hitman66610
Premium Member
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610

Premium Member

I do believe it has something to do with torrents. I also use other applications which use idle internet time like BOINC and whatnot.

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

It sounds like you'll need to figure out all the major protocols running in your LAN and decide how to prioritize them. Do you have questions as to how to discover the protocols in your local network?

LowInfoVoter
USA

LowInfoVoter to Hitman66610

to Hitman66610
so then turn off the torrents and play video. does it stutter? if so, it's not the torrent.

also, those torrents cant possibly eat up all your LAN bandwidth. you need to dissociate your internet traffic with your LAN traffic. focus on your lan. assuming you have 3 MBps of torrent activity on your lan, on a 100Mbps pipe, that only takes up maybe 1/4 of the pipe. that's does not congestion make.

Hitman66610
Premium Member
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610

Premium Member

Yes, it is still stuttering after I turn off torrents and whatnot. The computer that the files are coming from is wireless, so that means that it's MAXIMUM 54mbps speed, not accounting for what other bits of traffic might be coming from that computer.

LowInfoVoter
USA

LowInfoVoter

the first thing to do is to figure out if/where the latency becomes the biggest issue.

using your network map, id start with "gary". ping the linksys continually (ping xxx -t, control+c to stop and see results). if everything is optimal, very, very, very few packets should drop (interference may claim some) and your pings should average 1 to 2 ms. if this isn't happening between gary and the linksys, test from another wireless workstation to make sure it isn't just gary's problem.

if you're getting low pings and few (VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY FEW) timeouts, your wireless router and its configuration are good to go. then start testing the next device in the route. do a continuous ping on the dlink. since it's wired to the linksys, there shouldn't be much difference in the pings, but it's still necessary to test. finally, if things remain optimal, ping the boxee (which i assume is hosting the files). the key is that all these pings need to show you that the path is not showing signs of latency.

hows it look?

Hitman66610
Premium Member
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610

Premium Member

Here is the rundown of what I got (btw Stashbox is the wireless computer which the media is coming from):

Gary to D-Link:
4 packets, 0% loss
58ms, 4ms, 4ms, and 4ms

Gary to Linksys:
4 packets, 0% loss
5ms, 31ms, 4ms, and 3ms

Gary to Boxee:
4 packets, 0% loss
11ms, 14ms, 9ms, and 5ms

Gary to Stashbox:
4 packets, 0%
7ms, 3ms, 3ms, and 3ms

Stashbox to Gary:
4 packets, 25% loss
3686ms, 3543ms, and 2160ms

Stashbox to Linksys:
0% loss
1163ms, 869ms, 567ms, and 543ms

Stashbox to D-Link:
0% loss
183ms, 428ms, 129ms, and 20ms

Stashbox to Boxee:
0% loss
729ms, 8ms, 1162ms, and 19ms

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

4 packets is probably not enough to properly diagnose what's happening, but even so I see a huge difference in your results from all other devices compared to communications with your stashbox. Can you hard wire your stashbox to your router and try your tests again?

LowInfoVoter
USA

LowInfoVoter

yeah, i should have said to ping devices for about a minute using "ping xxx -t". you press control+c to end the continuous ping and see the results.
said by bdnhsv:

hard wire your stashbox to your router and try your tests again?

yup yup yup

that latency you're seeing is why your videos are stuttering

Hitman66610
Premium Member
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610

Premium Member

I can't hard wire because of the distance between them. I'm also not in the financial position to get another powerline adapter at the moment. But here are the ping results:

Gary to D-Link:
53 packets, 0% loss
all 3-6ms

Gary to Linksys:
63 packets, 0% loss
all 3-5ms

Gary to Boxee:
70 packets, 1 lost, 1% loss
all 6-9 ms, one randomly timed out in the middle

Gary to Stashbox:
See picture. I did this one twice because it was so messed up the first time. The picture is from the first time.
2nd time:
61 packets, 0% loss
Min 4ms, Max 60ms, average 9ms

Stashbox to Gary:
53 packets, 0% loss
pings all over the map, from 4ms - 219ms

Stashbox to Linksys:
50 packets, 0% loss
mostly 1ms to 3ms, except every 6 or 7th one it would go to 12ms or so. In the middle, there was an instance of 1ms, but the next one was 1848ms

Stashbox to D-Link:
61 packets, 0% loss
all 1-3ms, except a random 430ms, a 51ms, a 10 ms, and a 14ms

Stashbox to Boxee:
(Let this one go longer since it's the important one)
140 packets, 0% loss
Min 3ms, max 239ms, average 8ms

LowInfoVoter
USA

LowInfoVoter

is it possible to unplug and move stashbox so that you can directly wire it to your DLINK? at this point, the wireless adapter is in question.

the other way to test is to use a different wireless adapter on stashbox. if you have one.