signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Games without blood?

I realize that games are rated for "maturity" (pretty stupid to use that particular term), but what I really care about is if the games have blood and gore, and sexual violence. I have a gaggle of nephews that aren't teenagers yet, and I love games like Portal (if there is gore in it, I haven't seen that level, but I haven't played it too far yet, either). Steam just had their sale going on so I got Portal 2, but I didn't know what other games would be ok for my little guys but still good games. I was house and pet sitting for a week and had my gaming system with me so all the kids got a chance to use "the beast" (my system, as my sisters call it).

I have a pretty modest system, and yet, in the eyes of my siblings it is over the top, but the kids all love it, and I want them to convince their parents to build them nice systems too because I want them all to be tech savvy. Right now, sadly, all the boys are limited to Mine Craft, which I detest because of how poorly the purchasing system is run to get the game (they offer credit cards as an option but it won't work). I used this opportunity to let the kids see that consoles aren't the only way to get a cool game and that graphics on PCs is more advanced.

Ast1
@213.152.245.x

Ast1

Anon

Hmm, may be worth going with some of the MMOs? Just the free trial runs such as Rift Lite) so you aren't paying for it but it does provide something to show to the kids.
As far as I am aware, while obviously you have hit points and things die, there is no actual blood or gore involved so it's all pretty tame.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Some RTS games don't have too much gore , but may be hard to comprehend. Age of ' ' are great. Starcraft, homeworld.

Sim games are pretty light. Sim city, flight sims.

As far as shooters you are probably limited to the big game hunter series, but there can be a lot of fun to be had there.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Doesn't MW2 offer an option to turn off blood and/or gore? Several games have this, although I haven't really taken note of which ones.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

Psychonauts, Stacking, and Costume Quest all have no gore in them.

Many of your puzzle (Quantum Conundrum) and simulation (Tropico) type games will not have it. Sadly, though, most of your FPSs will, as it is the nature of the beast considering it has the word "shooter" in it.

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9 to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
Likely to be safe:
Sim Games (Sim city, Sims 3, etc)
Pop Cap Games (plants vs zombies is great)
Tycoon Games (Railroad, Hotel, etc)
RTS Games (Risk, Settlers, etc)
Emulators of old NES/SNES/Sega games, really fun.

Avoid:
GTA + The Like
FPS
War Games

Almost all games on steam have a trailer you can watch, to get an idea of the game play.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

FPS - Big game hunter.

Am I the only one that likes hitting an Elk at a half mile?

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by f0rtys3ven:

FPS - Big game hunter.

Am I the only one that likes hitting an Elk at a half mile?

I like hitting an elk for a half mile (ala Red Dead Redemption).

Mentat
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Houston, TX

Mentat to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Moral Kombat for SNES, but be prepared for copious amounts of sweat instead of blood.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven
said by f0rtys3ven:

Some RTS games don't have too much gore , but may be hard to comprehend. Age of ' ' are great. Starcraft, homeworld.

Sim games are pretty light. Sim city, flight sims.

As far as shooters you are probably limited to the big game hunter series, but there can be a lot of fun to be had there.

Starcraft is pretty brutal, you will seemarines chopped in half by a DT or burned to death by a collosus or stuff melted in acid from roaches.

Not sure if there is a way to turn all that off.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
Star Wars branded games just like the movies don't show any blood.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

If they have lightsabers, though, they will show severed limbs.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy

Not SWTOR though. You can whack a common guard with a lightsaber 20 times without killing him :P

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by puppy:

Not SWTOR though. You can whack a common guard with a lightsaber 20 times without killing him :P

True enough. However, Force Unleashed 1 & 2 and the Jedi Knight series all allow you to sever Stormtrooper limbs.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

but for kids there is always Lego Starwars.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to Goggalor

to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

said by Draiman:

I'll give you the fact that Star Wars is PG not G material but still class A common for what's in the average cartoon/tv show/game. I love the 2 ton weight dropped on someone. Meep Meep! Or water tossed on someone to kill them. There's no place like home! Funny how we're OK with murder but find fault with severed limbs with no blood.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

but for kids there is always Lego Starwars.

All of the Lego games are pretty good. My kids have had a blast with them.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

First one I played was lego Island and that had a ton of stuff to do, but was not cool themed.
primeomega
join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI

primeomega to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
If you do want a mmo type gane, Wizard101 is great fun. And is set for kids for blocking chat and stuff.

I play it with my 11 year old, have for a few years now.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

1 recommendation

Goggalor to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

said by Goggalor:

said by Draiman:

I'll give you the fact that Star Wars is PG not G material but still class A common for what's in the average cartoon/tv show/game. I love the 2 ton weight dropped on someone. Meep Meep! Or water tossed on someone to kill them. There's no place like home! Funny how we're OK with murder but find fault with severed limbs with no blood.

Very true. I was just giving the original poster fair warning, just in case severed limbs skirt the line for gore.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Doesn't MW2 offer an option to turn off blood and/or gore? Several games have this, although I haven't really taken note of which ones.

I wonder though, Kris, if someone wanted a bloodless game if they want one where the targets are other humans? Just a thought.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Don't ask me to explain the rules and stipulations of parents. Some of the dumbest things imaginable under the guise of sheltering their children.
theraven146
join:2012-07-25

theraven146 to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
Just to add more color to the point - the violent nature of games these days, let me tell you my own experiences. My brother's little kid that used to be quiet and gentle throughout its childhood period has become a little wilder and naughtier these days. On studying this sudden change of behavior, I realized that it was computer games that was doing the trick. Now this child tries to imitate everything it sees on the screen. He tries to talk, walk, fight like the characters in the game.

Now this is bad. Games have to be properly certified and rated according to its adult contents just like the do in movies.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Rating is only part of the situation. Your nephew sounds like he also has maturity issues and lack of a strong male role model to emulate -- a one-size fits all rating doesn't take into account an individual child's maturity level. It takes an involved, loving parent to tailor everything to their children and introduce them to stuff so they can absorb it without taking entertainment on as their identity. Don't blame a video game for a parenting problem.

At the same time, every culture in history has provided young men an opportunity to test their strength against each other for boasting rights and alpha male status--that much is simply animal instinct. Our culture has several avenues--sports and computer games being the main ones.

An interesting read was posted on Wired about the emotionally/chemically addictive aspect to shooters:

Why Shooting Games Make Your Brain Happy

Modern videogames are obsessed with guns, and there are a lot of reasons why.

Shooters, shooters, shooters: Whether first-person like Halo or third-person like Gears of War, games that revolve around a player character taking aim and pumping bullets into rivals have been popular for decades, but the genre has grown vastly more popular in the last few years. In 2006, according to the NPD Group, shooters accounted for a substantial 14 percent of console game unit sales in the U.S. By 2011, that number had exploded to 24 percent.

Other game genres may be growing in popularity on smartphones and PCs, but on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 shooters are number one with a bullet. So its no surprise that major publishers pump out more and more of them. But what is it that makes them so attractive in the first place? Do they fulfill some sort of adolescent male power fantasy? Well, yes. But thats not the whole story. Shooters, especially as designed today, have a way of worming their way into our brains and satisfying psychological urges that other game genres do not.

The act of firing a virtual bullet into another players character is as old as videogames themselves. The first computer game Spacewar!, stored on paper punchcards and played on a computer the size of four refrigerators, was about two players moving and shooting at each other. The basics of the gameplay have hardly changed since then as the genre has become more refined, complex and realistic. And although many women play shooters, the genre has historically appealed mostly to men.

(+18 more paragraphs)

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 recommendation

Draiman to theraven146

to theraven146
said by theraven146:

Just to add more color to the point - the violent nature of games these days, let me tell you my own experiences. My brother's little kid that used to be quiet and gentle throughout its childhood period has become a little wilder and naughtier these days. On studying this sudden change of behavior, I realized that it was computer games that was doing the trick. Now this child tries to imitate everything it sees on the screen. He tries to talk, walk, fight like the characters in the game.

Now this is bad. Games have to be properly certified and rated according to its adult contents just like the do in movies.

The same thing happened to one of my best friend's kid just by watching WWE/WWF. Yet MILLIONS of other kids watch it and don't become like this....why would that be? It can't be the TV or video games or a majority of people would become like that. The problem is with the kids and/or parents in reality. Everyone wants an EXCUSE to blame someone or something else though so TV and video games is an easy target to blame.

footballdude
Premium Member
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

It can't be the TV or video games or a majority of people would become like that. The problem is with the kids and/or parents in reality. Everyone wants an EXCUSE to blame someone or something else though so TV and video games is an easy target to blame.

My youngest played baseball for the first time this year. When they put him in the outfield he got bored and was doing power rangers poses. I couldn't get mad at him, it was just too funny. When they did the team pictures, he insisted on having a Sonic the hedgehog action figure in his glove.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

2 recommendations

kingdome74 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
My son tried acting out what he saw in video games but he got pwned by the boss mob and that was the end of that.

Mentat
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Houston, TX

Mentat to theraven146

Premium Member

to theraven146
said by theraven146:

Let me guess; peanut allergy, ADHD, autistic, or some combination of the three?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Guys, I used the term bloodless in the manner some people call cola Coke, and slip joint pliers as channel locks. I just want to know what Good games will get along well with parents of 11 down to 5 year old kids. Right now they are all into minecraft, which, IMHO is crap (can't even get the site to accept credit cards and 24 hours after creating an account it disappears. Very poorly run outfit, freaking joke.

As far as games, Services such as Steam, which games on such services. The 10 something year olds are loving portal/P2.

footballdude
Premium Member
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

said by signmeuptoo94:

Right now they are all into minecraft

My kids are constantly competing for time on Minecraft. They've actually set up a barter economy amongst themselves where they trade favors for Minecraft hours. Mostly they just build random stuff, but they also found a server that runs Hunger Games and they spend a bunch of time there as well.