dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

[ID?] Any idea what kind of bird?

Kind of thought you guys might know what kind of bird this was so am posting it here. Sorry for the poor picture quality, seems the best we can get so far.

The legs appear almost a yellow coloring though is not shown here. I would estimate the size to be 9-11 inches and wondered if a Merlin Falcon though just a pure guess based on a google search.

google Nexus S 4G
3.4mm 1/120th F2.6 ISO50

The call is definitely not song bird quality and he/she seems to like the area around my pool for the past 2-3 weeks. I tried sharpening a little with photoshop but camera phones don't do well from a distance and this bird seems fairly skittish.
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

nklb
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI
kudos:2

1 recommendation

looks like a hawk of some kind; probably a red-tailed hawk or a coopers hawk.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by nklb:

looks like a hawk of some kind; probably a red-tailed hawk or a coopers hawk.

Hmmm, in googling it did look a lot like the coopers hawk.. someone that lives here just told me the eyes seemed to be a hazel color. Found this of the cooper hawk and looks a lot like the bird hanging around our yard

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
reply to dandelion

Well.. we spotted another now including a nest so apparently we have a pair of them.

Also, they seem to enjoy a tall loblolly pine with poison sumac running up the tree.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to dandelion

I'm no Hawk expert but here are a couple of Red Tailed Hawk fledglings I photographed in June. I think they were not quite three months old at the time From what I was told their eyes are amber when young and their tails don't turn red until maturity.
»srosenstock.photoshelter.com/gal···b4XusMwk

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN

Thanks @Stacy, but I think these are mature.. one was obviously feeding something in the nest though we couldn't see what. If their tale is red it is not a bright red but underbelly and underwings are white on both.