All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kud0s69
@70.28.245.x

kud0s69

Anon

[BC] Strange wireless (cant connect laptop)

So my GF has shaw and a wireless gateway. Cellphones connect fine. When I bring my laptop over it will not for the life of me connect to Wifi. It is not the laptop, as far as I know as I never had (or have) any troubles connecting to other Wifi connections. In fact I am typing this question out on my tethered wifi through my cell phone.

Anyone have any ideas?
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

Idea 1: Turn the Wi-Fi switch on the laptop to ON
Idea 2: Screw around with Wi-Fi card driver's settings
Idea 3: Screw around with Gateway Wi-Fi settings
Idea 4: Call Shaw, demand immediate resolution of all computer problems
Idea 5: Pack up the Gateway and a laptop, take it to a tech.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to kud0s69

Premium Member

to kud0s69
quote:
it will not for the life of me connect to Wifi

What have you tried?

kud0s69
@qc.ca

kud0s69

Anon

Rebooting the router. Going into config router via cell phone. Verifying everything and making sure Mac filtering was set to allow all. Sending laptop away for service thinking it was a defective nic (which they have replaced). Only thing I have not done is call Shaw. Every other device connects. Very strange. It just keeps re asking for password when I try to connect even though I am 100% sure I entered it correctly.
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

If you are not willing to open the Gateway's Wi-Fi settings to no authentication, or play around with WEP/WPA/WPA2...

Windows reinstall it is.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to kud0s69

Premium Member

to kud0s69
If Vista or 7,

Is there another Vista or 7 computer connected via WiFi?

I would suggest trying to copy the WiFi profile from a working computer, to your non-working.

Try the WPS button on the back when it asks you to enter the password.

-Posted from my phone.

not
@comcast.net

not

Anon

If it's an older laptop, there's a chance your WIFI card may not have drivers new enough to support security like WPA or WPA2. Check to make sure the WIFI gateway isn't set to this higher security and then check the date of your WIFI drivers. If the drivers are prior to 2008, you'll probably run into this issue. Update to 2010 or newer drivers if possible from your manufacturer or the WIFI card chipset maker. Also, make sure you don't have any other profiles with the same name configured in Windows as this new WIFI network. All else fails, you can try a winsock reset, but if you're able to get on other networks without issues, it's probably not that.