uniqs

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

Private home two floors question.

Long story short, I have tenants on the second floor who at the moment have an ONT installed and only FiOS internet. They may be moving out in the next 6 months and my brother may be moving in. This is a private house. Since he is immediate family, I was wondering if it was possible to have Verizon come out and add another FiOS box to the second floor instead of him having to subscribe to his own service. I am unsure if this is possible. Does anyone have a similar situation where they were able to do this? I would rather ask here first before asking Verizon and getting the run around.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

What do you mean by "add another FiOS box"?

If you mean the FIOS router, you can't connect two routers to the same ONT.

Is there coax or cat5 running from where your router is to the 2nd floor?

From an account perspective, since your brother is immediate family, you can share your service with him. However, you're going to have to figure out how you're going to get service to the 2nd floor.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

I meant a cable box for television service. Which means they will
Probably have to come out and run another cable as I don't think they will just send me a box and let me do it myself which may cause a problem internally since its being run to another floor which already has an ONT installed in that apartment. I would also probably need a new splitter since the one they connected is full.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Yeah you can just order another STB and they can even UPS it to you. If you want them to come out and run another Coax to that apartment or whatever they'll probably bill you for it, if you can get them to agree to it.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj to MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

to MuDvAyNe
If you do it yourself, you'll have to disconnect the coax coming from the ONT upstairs, and run a coax cable, if there isn't already one in the wall, from downstairs to upstairs. So yes, if your splitter is full, you'll either have to get a new one to replace it, or add another one coming off of it.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

I honestly would rather have Verizon do it. If it cost a little bit to do that's fine.
thepawn
join:2002-10-22
Clifton, NJ

thepawn to MuDvAyNe

to MuDvAyNe
If it is zoned as a two family residence, VZ won't do it for you, they're separate.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

Well it was worth a shot asking!
Expand your moderator at work