TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to Borad

Re: How do you crimp?

said by Borad:

I returned them and bought crimp-ons at Radio Shack. The Radio Shack ones say which ones are for quad shield and show you where to crimp. I didn't want to spend $20 for a compression tool when I already had a crimper.

Did you not read what I said? You do not need a compression tool, channel locks on both sides of a compression connector works just fine.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

Borad

join:2012-06-08

said by TheTechGuru:

Did you not read what I said? You do not need a compression tool, channel locks on both sides of a compression connector works just fine.

I didn't want to experiment with that technique. I read about crimping vs. compression. For example, this from Family Handyman:
quote:
End connectors that screw on over the outer jacket of cable can loosen up over time and even fall off. Instead, use crimp-ring style connectors and a special crimping tool (sold at home centers), or better yet, compression-style connectors.
Also, the coaxial cable in the raceway that Cablevision installed is crimped. I even read a recommendation for crimping on a package of something I saw recently, with no mention of compression. And I've read enough conflicting comments about the need for quad shield and solid copper that I'm not going to worry too much about something as easy to replace as a plug. It's not like everyone agrees on these things and can back it up.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

The industry standard is compression connectors. DirecTV, DishNetwork, and every cable company I have ever dealt with uses them exclusivly. DigiCon is what I would call the "best" brand of compression connectors.

--
CompTIA Network+ Certified