how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DRNewcomb

join:2012-07-25
Long Beach, MS

CableOne modem requirements?

New to the forums. If this is not the right forum please direct me to the right place. I don't see a forum for CableOne.

I'm trying to help a friend would like get her own cable modem and to return the rented CableOne modem to save $8/month. The issue is that new cable modems are generally around $100 and have too long a pay-back. I found an Arris TM502G (DOCSIS 2.0) modem in a thrift store for $10. So, I checked CableOne's approved modem list (OK) and contacted them providing the model & S/N; asking if this modem might be blacklisted. Their response made me feel like they were blowing smoke up my [leg].

Some excerpts: "but generally speaking, if the modem was not provided directly by a CableOne local office, it's unlikely to work or be registered. The only real exception to this are modems that are purchased from Your Broadband Store, as they send their provisioning information directly to us when a customer buys one so that we may add it to our inventory."....."attempting to connect to the network on a modem that has been previously provisioned with another ISPs config files can cause significant complications, so we proactively disallow this."

They specifically did not address the issue of blacklisting. Nor did they detail (to my satisfaction) why you can't use a used modem. What are the technical issues in reusing this type modem and how much of what CableOne said above is true vs nonsense.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

»CableOne

»help.cableone.net/HSD/Modem/Certified.aspx

Like the rest of the communications industry, CableOne employs people with no communication skills.
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

DRNewcomb

Long Beach, MS

What I have learned is while the Arris modems are technically approved for use, they are combination cable modem & VOIP client. As such they are set up (provisioned) by the cable company to work with their particular system. Many of the settings are not accessible to the user. I read some forums dedicated to moding cable modems and most of the hackers have given up on hacking Arris modems.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter

said by DRNewcomb:

What I have learned is while the Arris modems are technically approved for use, they are combination cable modem & VOIP client. As such they are set up (provisioned) by the cable company to work with their particular system. Many of the settings are not accessible to the user. I read some forums dedicated to moding cable modems and most of the hackers have given up on hacking Arris modems.

docsis 3 woulda been better it woulda future proofed you somewhat

DRNewcomb

Long Beach, MS

said by zed260:

I didn't buy the Arris modem. I was only looking at it because of the price ($10). And then only as something for a friend. I own a Mototola DOCSIS 3.0 modem just in case I get cable Internet. ITMT, I'm on U-verse. CableOne is just not competitive for price vs U-verse.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter

said by DRNewcomb:

said by zed260:

I didn't buy the Arris modem. I was only looking at it because of the price ($10). And then only as something for a friend. I own a Mototola DOCSIS 3.0 modem just in case I get cable Internet. ITMT, I'm on U-verse. CableOne is just not competitive for price vs U-verse.

well as far as that goes cableone probably could be highly competitive if they want

one of the werdiest things in my view is that the 20 meg offered by charter to bussnuss customers in my market is 5 dollars cheaper then what at&ts 18 meg tier is and charter cant put caps on it