spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

avp77

join:2010-07-10

CTV Olympic streaming - "Video Error"

I can't seem to get the live streaming of the Olympics working, at this link, there should be a live soccer game on now:

»www.ctvolympics.ca/videos/channe···720.html

I tried Chrome, Firefox, IE, and I keep getting "Video Error Please Refresh Your Browser". It also says that I should click 'Help' if the problem continues, but I don't see any button with that label.

If it works for other people, I suspect it might be the relatively new IP address I have, as my cable node was just upgraded. Does anybody have an email address that I can contact CTV about this technical issue?

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

Loaded no probem here, maybe try clearing out your cache.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to avp77

Re: CTV Olympic streaming - "Video Error"

Ugh, Microsoft Silverlight. They are set up for fail right there.

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
reply to avp77

It needs Microsoft Silverlight to run. Do you have it installed? If not, then you can probably find it in Windows Update/Microsoft Update (Microsoft Update is Windows Update with the ability to update Microsoft software). Although if you're running the Windows 8 Release Preview, then I don't think it shows up in Windows Update, so you'll need to get it from the website.

avp77

Yes, I have Silverlight installed. Stuff like Netflix and Microsoft's Project Tuva work fine.

I found an email address, videosupport@bellmedia.ca and their automated reply said they'd reply in 15 business days and linked me to a FAQ page that's now just a 404. Usual Bell mofo behaviour.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by avp77:

Yes, I have Silverlight installed. Stuff like Netflix and Microsoft's Project Tuva work fine.

I found an email address, videosupport@bellmedia.ca and their automated reply said they'd reply in 15 business days and linked me to a FAQ page that's now just a 404. Usual Bell mofo behaviour.

check to see if you have the most recent version of SL.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to avp77

Silverlight generally does a far better job at video (and streaming it) than Flash.

I'm constantly having problems on multiple machines where flash's hardware accelerated decoding or scaling doesn't kick in, but I've never had any problems with silverlight.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by avp77:

check to see if you have the most recent version of SL.

That too.

If you're still stuck after that, it might not be a bad idea to ask for help in the Microsoft Forum.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Silverlight generally does a far better job at video (and streaming it) than Flash.

I'm constantly having problems on multiple machines where flash's hardware accelerated decoding or scaling doesn't kick in, but I've never had any problems with silverlight.

HTML 5 should be used.

avp77

1 edit
reply to grunze510

Yes, I have the latest version, 5.1.10411.0

Since other Silverlight applications work fine, wouldn't that point to it being a CTV problem rather than a MS problem?

Tried it on multiple Win7 computers now too, though all using the same connection.

EDIT: Oh, also, the video highlights using Silverlight work, just not the live stream

b_p_smith

join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
reply to avp77

I happened to notice an article on the main CTVNews site that may be applicable: »www.ctvnews.ca/where-is-olympic-···1.889971

I wonder if your IP is being considered as from outside Canada.

Brad.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

avp77

said by b_p_smith:

I wonder if your IP is being considered as from outside Canada.

Yes, that was my first suspicion too, especially since I got a new IP address recently, and even speedtest.net thinks I'm in Montreal, when I'm really in Toronto.

Though, now that I've clicked around and see that the other video on CTV works, I'm not so sure, I think that's supposed to be geoblocked too? Could be something like them using seperate databases for live world feed vs. archived video.

At any rate, I don't have a lot of faith in the email address I contacted, so I'd love to find a more direct way of contacting the people that run this. Am I going to need to learn how to twitter just to get help?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

HTML 5 should be used.

HTML 5 video is missing three critical features to be a valid replacement for this:

1) Common set of codecs guaranteed by standard to be supported by all browsers. Firefox and Opera do not officially support h.264 or AAC, instead supporting WebM and Vorbis, despite 80% of HTML5 video being h.264.

2) DRM support. Doesn't matter how you feel about it (personally I hate DRM), content providers won't make their content available without it.

3) Seamless switching between multiple bitrate streams. You can do dynamic bitrate switching with javascript, but it's not seamless like it is in Flash/Silverlight (there will be a pause).

Not to mention that only three quarters of browser claim any HTML 5 support, and installing a browser plugin is a lot more realistic than asking somebody to change to a different browser to view your site/stream.

Until these issues are resolved, HTML 5 won't be a valid replacement for video streaming for Netflix or similar things. Point 1 should be resolved shortly, as Mozilla has said they will eventually switch to h.264 (due to WebM thankfully never catching on). Point 2 is something under discussion, but nobody has yet to agree on. Point 3 is something that isn't currently supported, but might be in the future.
--

Shredda

join:2008-10-28
London, ON

said by Guspaz:

said by donoreo:

HTML 5 should be used.

HTML 5 video is missing three critical features to be a valid replacement for this:

1) Common set of codecs guaranteed by standard to be supported by all browsers. Firefox and Opera do not officially support h.264 or AAC, instead supporting WebM and Vorbis, despite 80% of HTML5 video being h.264.

2) DRM support. Doesn't matter how you feel about it (personally I hate DRM), content providers won't make their content available without it.

3) Seamless switching between multiple bitrate streams. You can do dynamic bitrate switching with javascript, but it's not seamless like it is in Flash/Silverlight (there will be a pause).

Not to mention that only three quarters of browser claim any HTML 5 support, and installing a browser plugin is a lot more realistic than asking somebody to change to a different browser to view your site/stream.

Until these issues are resolved, HTML 5 won't be a valid replacement for video streaming for Netflix or similar things. Point 1 should be resolved shortly, as Mozilla has said they will eventually switch to h.264 (due to WebM thankfully never catching on). Point 2 is something under discussion, but nobody has yet to agree on. Point 3 is something that isn't currently supported, but might be in the future.

You hit the nail straight on. I've tried explaining this to other people, but they just brush it off like HTML5 is the be all and end all. I like HTML5 and try to use it as much as possible, but I can't argue with the points made when it comes to video streaming (especially the DRM point.) There is no way that the TV/Movie studios will sign on to use HTML5 until that is solved, and until so, that means no apps like Netflix for Linux (at least web-based.)
Expand your moderator at work

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to avp77

I should mention that when I say the DRM issue is under discussion, there really is discussions between all the various parties going on, but they can't agree on how to implement it. It's like a "recognize the need but can't agree on the implementation" thing.

The lack of a proper standard for codecs is 100% Google's fault. They tried to push their codec on the rest of us despite it being rather severely flawed (still patent-encumbered, just not defined which patents yet, vastly technologically inferior to h.264 due to missing many patented improvements, lack of a coherent spec instead insisting the reference implementation is the unchangeable spec, bugs included). Thankfully, it didn't catch on, and we're slowly settling on a de-facto standard forced by market pressures (browser makers can't afford to be "that browser" that doesn't support all the video people try to watch).

The lack of bitrate switching is just an implementation thing. It'll happen eventually. There are already standards for doing this: Apple's HTTP live streaming standard covers it by breaking the video into small chunks, with the relevant metadata for tracking that, so that a browser can switch between different bitrate chunks on the fly. All you need is support for this in the video pipeline so that you can properly fill the output buffer without any gaps (like how there is no audio gap when netflix switches bitrates). Eventually this or some similar standard will be put in the HTML5 spec.

Well, one of the HTML 5 specs. It just recently broke up into two independent standards bodies: the WHATWG and W3C were defining HTML 5 together, but they've broken up. What will happen now is that the W3C will define a fixed snapshot standard called HTML5, while the WHATWG will define a "living standard" that continually evolves similar to how HTML5 has continually evolved up until now.
--

Mahym

@distributel.net
reply to avp77

Having a similar issue, although I don't get an error, just a grey screen. When I click I get a brief glimpse of a turning wheel (or something) image, then it just goes grey.
I just updated my silverlight (as it asked me to prior to getting the grey square) and I'm in Montreal... was wondering if you'd gotten any useful info

EvoMaStA

join:2002-07-11
Burlington, ON
reply to avp77

I'm having the same problem with the grey screen appearing, It worked fine yesterday.. weird.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, it's apparently fixed for me.

avp77

reply to Mahym

I think it might be working now!

The problem had evolved last night to a grey screen as Mahym mentioned, in Firefox & IE.

I hadn't had any replies from any of the official channels I tried to email, *but* since I'm on Distributel, Mahym is on Distributel, and a person on another forum with that problem is on Acanac, I think I'm detecting a pattern...I guess CTV forgot to include that IP address range?

Anyway, if I try 'Full Event Replay', which was having the problem before, it does work now! For example to watch the Canada-Japan soccer game: »www.ctvolympics.ca/videos/channe···847.html

So hopefully the live streams will be good now too.

Mahym

@ircm.qc.ca

I didn't check from home, but it IS working with my connection at work... guess you're probably right about the IP

Ottawaguy

@rogers.com
reply to avp77

I still get the grey screen on multiple computers. Latest version of Silverlight, browsers (multiple tried) up to date...Anyone have a solution???

avp77

reply to avp77

Getting the grey screen again...seems to be a more widespread problem this time? CTV/Bell is so unhelpful with supporting the customer.

avp77

Aaaaaand it's working again.

BellFibeR

@bell.ca
reply to avp77

I am using Chrome with the DNT+ extension. I was getting the same "Video Error Please Refresh Your Browser" for live events. I found that turning DNT+ off for the CTV Olympics site resolved the problem. Hmmmm.

larriji

@sbcglobal.net
reply to avp77

I have not been able to stream with ctv olympics via silverstream on my mac or windows desktop pc. Have updated and done just about anything possible silverlight, including redownloading, rebooting, reinstalling, updating, etc. Nothing. Error message every time. Hard to believe that it can be this bad. They should take lessons from espn. They know how to do it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to avp77

They don't want you watching on the WEB, there is no money for BHELL for their distribution business.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to donoreo

I prefer SL over Flash. I can't stream from CTV since I'm not in Canada (i do get them on tv though) so i been using NBCOlympics.com. In browser its abysmal - however the iPad app is great....oh right the iPad doesn't do Flash.

lmllr1

@bell.ca
reply to Mahym

Having the problem just as Mahym described. Can't watch the video avp77 linked to either.

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

instead supporting WebM and Vorbis, despite 80% of HTML5 video being h.264.

Mind telling me where you got this number?
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

Morkani

join:2012-08-02
reply to avp77

I had same problem, and people tell me to tryt this videocapx software »www.videocapx.com but its not free