how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ottawaguy

@rogers.com
reply to avp77

Re: CTV Olympic streaming - "Video Error"

I still get the grey screen on multiple computers. Latest version of Silverlight, browsers (multiple tried) up to date...Anyone have a solution???

avp77

join:2010-07-10
reply to avp77

Getting the grey screen again...seems to be a more widespread problem this time? CTV/Bell is so unhelpful with supporting the customer.

avp77

Aaaaaand it's working again.

BellFibeR

@bell.ca
reply to avp77

I am using Chrome with the DNT+ extension. I was getting the same "Video Error Please Refresh Your Browser" for live events. I found that turning DNT+ off for the CTV Olympics site resolved the problem. Hmmmm.

larriji

@sbcglobal.net
reply to avp77

I have not been able to stream with ctv olympics via silverstream on my mac or windows desktop pc. Have updated and done just about anything possible silverlight, including redownloading, rebooting, reinstalling, updating, etc. Nothing. Error message every time. Hard to believe that it can be this bad. They should take lessons from espn. They know how to do it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to avp77

They don't want you watching on the WEB, there is no money for BHELL for their distribution business.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to donoreo

I prefer SL over Flash. I can't stream from CTV since I'm not in Canada (i do get them on tv though) so i been using NBCOlympics.com. In browser its abysmal - however the iPad app is great....oh right the iPad doesn't do Flash.

lmllr1

@bell.ca
reply to Mahym

Having the problem just as Mahym described. Can't watch the video avp77 linked to either.

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

instead supporting WebM and Vorbis, despite 80% of HTML5 video being h.264.

Mind telling me where you got this number?
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

Morkani

join:2012-08-02
reply to avp77

I had same problem, and people tell me to tryt this videocapx software »www.videocapx.com but its not free

funny

join:2010-12-22
reply to Shredda

said by Shredda:

said by Guspaz:

said by donoreo:

HTML 5 should be used.

HTML 5 video is missing three critical features to be a valid replacement for this:

1) Common set of codecs guaranteed by standard to be supported by all browsers. Firefox and Opera do not officially support h.264 or AAC, instead supporting WebM and Vorbis, despite 80% of HTML5 video being h.264.

2) DRM support. Doesn't matter how you feel about it (personally I hate DRM), content providers won't make their content available without it.

3) Seamless switching between multiple bitrate streams. You can do dynamic bitrate switching with javascript, but it's not seamless like it is in Flash/Silverlight (there will be a pause).

Not to mention that only three quarters of browser claim any HTML 5 support, and installing a browser plugin is a lot more realistic than asking somebody to change to a different browser to view your site/stream.

Until these issues are resolved, HTML 5 won't be a valid replacement for video streaming for Netflix or similar things. Point 1 should be resolved shortly, as Mozilla has said they will eventually switch to h.264 (due to WebM thankfully never catching on). Point 2 is something under discussion, but nobody has yet to agree on. Point 3 is something that isn't currently supported, but might be in the future.

You hit the nail straight on. I've tried explaining this to other people, but they just brush it off like HTML5 is the be all and end all. I like HTML5 and try to use it as much as possible, but I can't argue with the points made when it comes to video streaming (especially the DRM point.) There is no way that the TV/Movie studios will sign on to use HTML5 until that is solved, and until so, that means no apps like Netflix for Linux (at least web-based.)

and what happens in a few mnths when h265 is released and its such a patent mess....

funny

join:2010-12-22

1 edit
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by Guspaz:

Silverlight generally does a far better job at video (and streaming it) than Flash.

I'm constantly having problems on multiple machines where flash's hardware accelerated decoding or scaling doesn't kick in, but I've never had any problems with silverlight.

HTML 5 should be used.

no its too heavy on computers resources for video....it is why its slow to adopt.ITS like needing a brand new pc and computer with latest graphics card ( something not that many are buying into these days ) to use your web browser? HAHA not....

BradF

@distributel.net
reply to avp77

I have been watching CTV Olympics LIVE for a week. Today it won't work. I have reinstalled Silverlight, and still not working.
Every other web site does. I have a desktop and laptop. They are both on the same network. The laptop gets the live feed, the desktop does not.

Strange thing is that on the frame where the video plays, I have the ZOOM button showing at the bottom of the frame. On the laptop where I am getting a connection, the ZOOM button is half the size and below it is a LIVE button and it is in RED Colour. Despite all of my efforts, I cannot get the LIVE button to appear on my desktop. As I said, both computers worked great for this site yesterday. Can someone help me find that LIVE button!!!!

Thanks

Brad

BradF

@distributel.net
reply to avp77

Just to make it more clear, I have taken some screen prints. Take a look just below where the video would be playing. On the desktop, you will see a large button ZOOM. The desktop will not play the streaming videos, whether they are live or pre-recorded.

i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac24···kTop.jpg'

On this next screen shot, you can see that the ZOOM button is half the size, and the bottom half has LIVE. This is from my lap top where I am watching live.

i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac24···pTop.jpg'

I believe that this may be the problem that many people are having. Can someone advise how I can get that LIVE button to reappear??

Thanks

Brad

avp77

The 'Live' button is just for live feeds. It's like a shortcut to take you to what's happening live (if you have been browsing earlier in the timeline, the player works a bit like a PVR in that you can watch live but go back to what has already happened).

The 'Zoom' button just zooms in on the timeline, so if you have a 3-hour event or something, you can look at the timeline in finer detail.

The 'Live' button probably only means that you're watching an event that's currently live, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on just that.

Are the laptop and the desktop using the same internet connection? If so, I would maybe try different browsers on the desktop, to start with. CTV's support with this bug-filled platform is pretty much non-existant

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to RobinK

said by RobinK:

said by Guspaz:

instead supporting WebM and Vorbis, despite 80% of HTML5 video being h.264.

Mind telling me where you got this number?

He pulled it out of his a**. Most of his post above is nonsense.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to funny

said by funny:

no its too heavy on computers resources for video....it is why its slow to adopt.ITS like needing a brand new pc and computer with latest graphics card ( something not that many are buying into these days ) to use your web browser? HAHA not....

No different than Silverlight or Flash.

BradF

@distributel.net
reply to avp77

Thanks for writing back AVP! Yes, the two computers are on the same internet connection. It is really frustrating. I have tried FireFox as well but the problem is exactly the same. Even when I am looking at pre-recorded video on the laptop, the LIVE button still shoes, but it is not highlighted. I have compared everything between the laptop and desktop in terms of settings and they are exactly the same. Only difference is that LIVE button. I will try and call CTV and maybe Bell Media, as I think they are the providers of this technology to CTV, but as you said, I don't think I will get any support from either of these companies.

Thanks

Brad

VC

@rogers.com

Hi,

I've been having the same problem since yesterday (aug 8). I've got mine back to working by disabling my url blocking on my router. Give that a try if you're willing to suffer the minor detriments.

Good luck

BradF

@distributel.net
reply to avp77

Hi VC,

Thanks, I tried that but it did not work. Keep in mind, I have both desktop and laptop going through the same router. Still searching for resolution. Meanwhile, only a few more days of the Olympics left.

Thanks

Brad

passingthru

@bell.ca
reply to VC

Thanks for the tip about URL blocking - it worked for me.

Removed the ad.doubleclick.net block from my router (actually turned blocking off completely). Now static advertisement windows are appearing AND video commercials are appearing before the requested video but the video is playing perfectly. No longer hit and miss as it was before.

Don't recall CTV posting a warning or help FAQ about this anywhere - wish they had!

Thanks again...

lola23

@primus.ca
reply to avp77

I'm having a similar pproblem, i ws viewing the olympics just fine but now its stopped working and i just get a gray screeen. I've tried installing silverlight again but i just get the gray screen, and the live now button is missing too. :S Also the prerecorded videos won't even work :S i dont understand. I tried it on chrome nd internet explorer. Help please ???

lola23

@primus.ca
reply to passingthru

its still not workin for me live or video. nothing i just get a gray screen. HELP PLEASE.