JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Wi-Fi] Can Only Get 20 Down on Wi-Fi - Thoughts?

Question for the Forum:

Ever since i've come back to Comcast, all of my connections in the house are now wireless.

I have the Arris 722G EMTA hooked up to a Netgear N Router. For some reason, even after the upgrade today, I can only pull around 20 down on any laptop. This is both Windows (Windows 7) and Macs.

I was pulling around 5 up prior to today, and now pull the full 10 up wirelessly, so upload is not a problem - but the download still stops at around 20 on any test, from no matter what server, where in the county it pulls from.

I went and hard wired to the router, pulled 53 down - so I know the speed is there.

Any thoughts on if there's a setting somewhere within the router that's limiting the down throughput?

Thanks.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA

Hover over your SSID in Windows to see if your Radio Type is 802.11n and your Signal Strength is Excellent. If those are good then you may have QoS (Quality of Service) activated, on your Netgear router, that limits your bandwidth.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
reply to JeepMatt

Which Netgear N Router?
What encryption?
and are the laptops set to the same standard?
which brand/models of laptops (really trying to find the wireless hardware models)

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to TriForce

Wireless N on 2.4Ghz? You wont get full 50 but you should get at least 40 or so depending on if you have 1x1 or 2x2 or whatever. If your max is "150Mbps (144/130Mbps all the same) then you might be close to get it depending on your area and network quality.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tshirt

Yes, Wireless N on 2.4GHz.

Router is WNR 1000v2 -
Encryption (currently using WEP)
Laptops set to same standard

Windows is Compaq Cq62 - wireless N adapter w/ latest drivers
Mac is iMac also a Mac Book Pro using Airport wireless adapters

Unfortunately, don't even see a setting in the Router GUI to apply any type of QOS.

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA

1 edit

make sure you are using WPA2/AES encryption. and make sure WMM is enabled on your router, too. big hit on throughput if using WEP on wireless N

mixing clients (802.11g and 802.11n clients) can also result in a hit on throughput (think of it kinda like slowest client sets the tone, with mixed environment...)

also if your router and client(s) are capable of 5ghz band, fiddle around with that, too.. properly configured 5ghz wireless-n could result in 300Mbps connections. (real world would be about 60% of that speed)... 2.4ghz (20 mhz channel width) i believe is 144Mbps max, with real world of like 60% of that...

all my opinions, of course...

-ryan

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JeepMatt

Agree with bradyr See Profile WEP isn't safe or fast.
WPA2 AES prefered but tkip ok if needed for older devices one or the other mixed mode is also a speed killer.
Be sure that WPS is disabled.
try it with one client only (which ever laptop is best/fastest) first and add one at a time, one slow client MAY effect others( if some devices are older/ slower/ need lower encryption consider a cheap second router/IP and restrict access from that wlan for security purposes.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Comcast

You guys are genius!

Switched to WPA2 AES - now the Mac Book Air is pulling 39MB down wireless.

However, 1 issue remaining with the Windows 7 machine.

For this example, let's call my network "Matt".

When I go to join wireless networks, it has "Matt" listed, but it's the old connection, that shows as being WEP encrypted. The "new Matt" shows as "Other Network" in the list, and I can't connect to it.

On the 2 MAC's, I had to basically "refresh" the wifi connections - and everything was perfect. However, i'm running into this issue with the Windows machine (go figure).

I tried to manually go into the properties of "Matt" and update the settings from WEP to WPA2, however it won't allow me to connect to it. I've rebooted the laptop, to no avail.

Any thoughts???
--

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
Sonora, CA

1 recommendation

on the windows 7 laptop i would probably just delete out any old/current reference to your "Matt" wireless connection.. just start over.

sorry if thats too vague, but when in doubt,usually just snuff the connection profile and start over...

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to JeepMatt

Delete and rebuild is easist since you won't ever need that WEP one again. you may want to print out a screen shot of the other settings just to be sure you get them all reset as you want them

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Comcast

BOOM.

Back in business. Uninstalled the entire driver as you guys stated - and we're in business.

Just pulled 42/10 on the Windows machine.

Sorry for sounding like such a nube - been awhile since I dealt w/ a Windows machine - wanted to make sure everyone in the home enjoyed the same speeds! Thanks everyone!
--

not

@comcast.net
reply to JeepMatt

Got to Manage Wireless Networks and delete the old connection out of the list. That takes care of the association. As long as you're not hiding the SSID, it shouldn't show Other Network for yours.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

This is more for other users since you are already fixed but:

FYI to get N speeds you have to use WPA2/AES and WMM - NO other combos will give you anymore speed then 54Mbps G.

So if you are maxing out at 20Mbps (max of G speeds) then that's usually the solution.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JeepMatt

said by JeepMatt:

Just pulled 42/10 on the Windows machine.

That sounds pretty healthy, if you need more just plug in for awhile.

GmDude66

join:2007-09-09
York, PA
reply to JeepMatt

Hey guys, my Macbook lists the "Transmit Rate" as 145, what will this translate to in actual transfer speed? Just curious.

Could I max out a 50/10 connection (under best circumstances) from the modem?

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
Sonora, CA

in my humble opinion and experience, real world for 144Mbps wireless-n speeds is around 60% of that...

you could probably sit on top of your wireless router with your laptop and do some iperf testing between you and a hardwired server or something and see better than that but honestly, I wouldnt expect much more than that.

same holds true (imo) for 300Mbps (5ghz band) wireless. 60% of that for real world speeds..

other people may have different experiences or results but i wouldn't expect much more.

would make for some interesting discussions when people upgrade to comcast's 305Mbps or whatever. you'd need a hard wired client to get full speed IMO..

*edit: this is all assuming you're negotiated at the full speed of the wireless connection (i.e. full bars, strong signal. ) not hanging by a thread at the end of the range of your router with a negotiated speed of like 10Mbps.

GmDude66

join:2007-09-09
York, PA

60% is 86.4, enough to cover me at the "new" blast speeds.

Router supports 300Mbps, but apparently my Macbook does not. (late 2008).

bman212121

join:2005-06-09

1 recommendation

reply to bradyr

@bradyr: I would have to agree your assessment. I would say 50 - 60% is about what I see using 20mhz channels. Sadly in 2.4ghz range using 40mhz channels didn't seem to do anything for me. (nothing in nearby channels either)

@JeepMatt: IIRC the numbers for just overhead from encryption are something like 50% WEP, 30% WPA, and 20% WPA2. A new encryption standard might be able reduce overhead a bit more in the future. So Not only are you getting stronger security you are now seeing the extra bandwidth from using WPA2.

@GmDude66: It should be able to do 300mbps but I think it's only in 5ghz and not 2.4ghz. I know that a 2008MBP can do 300mbps on 5ghz, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do it on 2.4ghz because it wouldn't run 40mhz channels. (Well a bit less than that because they don't seem to use Short Guard, probably disabled for power savings) The late 2008 Macbook has the same BCM4322 chipset as the MBP.

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to JeepMatt

Wireless will may not handle the new speeds

Try a wired connection and you'll see the difference.
--
- Bill

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

said by bgoodbody:

Wireless will may not handle the new speeds

Try a wired connection and you'll see the difference.

FWIW, poster stated this in his original post;

"I went and hard wired to the router, pulled 53 down - so I know the speed is there."