how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

[Mobility] Telus WiFi Offload

Anyone know if Telus has started to offload some of their cell data onto Wifi in areas? Father went and purchased the new Galaxy S3 and while browsing the settings I noticed a section for cellular wifi offload and it had ap.telus.com

Didn't know Telus was already doing such a thing. I know some carriers in the states are trying to push this hard, especially in bigger cities. I can get a screenshot on the window this evening if anyone is curious what I'm talking about.

Old Koot

join:2011-04-19
said by rustydusty:

Anyone know if Telus has started to offload some of their cell data onto Wifi in areas? ............ if anyone is curious what I'm talking about.

I'm very curious, but I don't yet understand the difference between cell data onto Wifi ........ in simplistic terminology, is this the difference between broadband for smart phones vs broadband for iPads (i.e. HSPDA) ?

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty
I'm not entirely positive how carriers are doing it. From what I've seen they place AP's in certain areas in bigger cities, and control them from a head office. All smartphones through that carrier have a policy with the address to any of the AP's and offload to them when in an area.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty
Takes load off the towers, especially in congested areas in the bigger cities. Obviously the only information that is off loaded is anything data related. All phone calls and text messages would still go through the tower. This takes a huge strain off towers, and is a great idea. The only cities in Alberta that would benefit from this would be Calgary and Edmonton. None of the other cities should have any sort of congestion as there just isn't enough people. Cities like New York would benefit from this definitely. The Olympics they are doing this to help keep congestion to a minimum, although I don't think it will matter. They are even setting up temporary towers to help take the load, along with 1,700 AP's I believe.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
WiFi offload does voice and SMS, not just data.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

1 edit
reply to rustydusty
I wish they'd do that with a few of the towers in north-west Edmonton. I'm lucky to break 1xEVDO speeds when I'm at work.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty
Didn't know they were doing voice offload with it as well. Would be interesting to see the transition during a call. The whole wifi offload concept makes me thing of a radius type setup, just because I'm currently in the process of doing one at a municipality office. No keys, everything is verified by active directory, users, domain computers. No such thing as keys. Disable the user in the AD and they instantly loose all drives, pc login, wireless access, BES and cripples the phone. An all in one solution.

goalcam

join:2001-06-03
Port Coquitlam, BC

2 edits
reply to rustydusty
The proper name for this is Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA), and Rogers is the only Canadian carrier that offers the service.

In true Rogers fashion, they charge extra for it.