how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cmiller651

join:2012-07-25
San Antonio, TX

No U-verse in my area?

I'm looking to possibly dropping Time Warner because of occasional internet problems, and more frequent HD box/DVR issues, so a few weeks ago (6/29), I put in my address for AT&T to check for U-verse service at my location. On 7/5 they gave me a response saying that U-verse wasn't available at my location. Is there any way to get AT&T's internet service that's comparable in speed to Road Runner Turbo, but with more reliability? (I believe AT&T's offering is 18Mb/s down, 1 or 5 up, correct me if I'm wrong.) I'm getting 20 to 1 with Time Warner, but the reliability has been somewhat lacking occasionally, and it's really irking the family and I, especially the HD box and my DVR, which as of late, seem to be working less and less...I'm looking at AT&T for internet and phone, and DirecTV for TV service. Any recommendations?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
Check to see if regular AT&T DSL is available. No, you will not get Road Runner Turbo speeds. Maximum is 6.0Mbps down/0.512Mbps up. More likely is 3.0Mbps down/0.384Mbps up.

If you can wait several months you should be able to pick between two satellite internet providers. Exede and Hughesnet. Exede claims to have a 12Mbps down/3Mbps up connection. Latency is very high compared to terrestrial wireline ISPs. Hughesnet has launched a new satellite that will provide service similar to Exede, but it will take several months to test the satellite and ground equipment before service begins.

Jammy
Premium
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
What kind of service is this? DSL? I used to have service through PacBell.net before it changed ATT. I always found DSL to be much slower than Cable is. I currently get 30Mbd down and 2.5 Mbps up.

I have done side-to-side checks on the speeds of both (I am way faster than my oldest daughter's home WI-FI network she gets through U-verse and she works for ATT)! She gets 3 Mbps down (Oakland, CA).

It seems he lives here in the Southwest and you live in the Southeast. It also seems that ATT has went up in their speeds!

24 Mbps is $63.00*/mo
18 Mbps is $53.00*/mo
12 Mbps is $48.00*/mo
06 Mbps is $43.00*/mo
03 Mbps is $38.00*/mo
Now you have to take into consideration that this is DSL. Cable is much cheaper (and better in many ways) in comparison:
05 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up $199.95 per month
50 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up $99.95 per month
30 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up $59.95 per month (My Plan)
Special for 6 months:
Blast!® - Special Offer $29.99 per month (new Customer)
$29.99 per month
20 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up $49.95 per month
Special for 6 months:
Performance - Online Exclusive $19.99 per month (new Customer)
6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up $49.95 per month
3 Mbps down and 768 Kbps. up $39.95 per month
--

lagh lucharghlu'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Jammy:

It also seems that ATT has went up in their speeds!

24 Mbps is $63.00*/mo
18 Mbps is $53.00*/mo
12 Mbps is $48.00*/mo
06 Mbps is $43.00*/mo
03 Mbps is $38.00*/mo

The top three items in that list are only available to users close enough to a DSLAM to qualify for VDSL or ADSL2+ (U-verse) Internet.

The bottom two items overlap with the four tiers offered to legacy ADSL subscribers; but 6Mb/s is the top speed for legacy ADSL service.

Now you have to take into consideration that this is DSL. Cable is much cheaper (and better in many ways) ...

Better yes, but not cheaper than Comcast CHSI.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum