share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

[olympics] London Olympics 2012 underway

Why would any city ever want to bid on hosting the Olympics today. They all end up losing money and the security costs are a big reason.

»worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012···d-war-ii

The biggest peacetime security operation in Britain’s history is under way – an $877-million civilian and military plan to protect athletes and visitors from threats ranging from suicide bombers to organized criminals. But it has also turned some London streets into military zones and Olympic venues into fortresses.

More than 11 miles of razor-wire-topped electric fencing separates the site from its surroundings, every entrance is guarded by soldiers and the surrounding streets and shopping malls are patrolled by police carrying 9mm semi-automatic weapons – an unusual sight in Britain, where armed patrols are normally found only at airports.

12,500 police officers will be on duty while 12,200 soldiers will carry out the venue security searches assisted by at least 7,000 contracted civilian security workers. A further 5,500 troops will be involved in military operations outside the site.

The maximum-security athletes’ village is ringed by even more metal fences. It’s enough to prompt some to compare the Olympic Park to a prison.

At least 1,850 closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras feed pictures back across London to the joint police and government control center (NOCC) at New Scotland Yard, the headquarters of the city’s Metropolitan Police, according to a data access request by civil liberties campaign group, Big Brother Watch.

a common feature of life in Britain - the world’s biggest user of such technology with 4.2 million CCTV cameras in use by public agencies alone.

As well as being fed through facial-recognition and license-place recognition software, images will be available to hundreds of CIA, FBI and TSA officials flying into Britain for the Games, as well as to officers from Interpol.

The most contentious measure is the installation of six temporary high-velocity ground-to-air missile sites around East London, including two atop residential apartment blocks in Bow and Waltham Forest. Residents of the latter building lost a legal bid to have the weaponry moved.

Unmanned drones – smaller, unarmed versions of those used by the U.S. to target Islamist militants in Pakistan and Afghanistan - will float above the venues, monitored by U.K. military commanders.

Helicopter-mounted cameras capable of identifying the color of a suspect's shoelaces on the ground from almost a mile away will also be utilized. The devices feature powerful zoom functions which can even allow airborne officers to see the color of a suspect's eyes on the ground.

all airspace around the city is either restricted to pre-authorized private or commercial flight – or prohibited altogether. Four Royal Air Force Typhoon fighter jets on standby are prepared to intercept aircraft flouting the restrictions and use "lethal force" if necessary.

--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

Re: [olympics] Security cost to be near $900 million

They must be understating the cost or the Security is not that good. Our Olympic games in Vancouver topped off at over 1 billion and that was the "smaller" Winter Olympics.
The Games came in on Budget and the City gained immensely. Plus we are left with a legacy of Buildings and Roads which would have never got built.

»www.nowpublic.com/sports/olympic···429.html

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to FFH
said by FFH:

Why would any city ever want to bid on hosting the Olympics today. They all end up losing money and the security costs are a big reason.

Wanting to host an event as expensive as the Olympics is indeed a bit of a mystery. I suppose it's what happens when high profile politicians mix with high profile sportsmen.

The total cost of the 2012 Olympics is very high. It was originally budgeted at £2.4 billion but that has spiralled to at least £9.3 billion. Personally, although I like the Olympics, I don't like them enough to spend billions on them in a recession. I wish Paris had won the bid.

However, although it's expensive, the host city has no alternative but to keep the athletes safe despite the huge expenditure.

P.S. I notice the highly inaccurate figure of 4.2 million CCTV cameras is being used. A better estimate is 1.5-1.8 million(and not generally interconnected government systems). The closest thing to a real "big brother" network would be the ANPR cameras.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
reply to FFH
I was listening to the Dan Patrick Show this morning, and they were saying how the UK will be bringing in an added $20 billion in business dollars because of their Olympic hosting. I think it's hard to quantify how much the Games truly makes/loses for its host. Im willing to bet it's a major plus for some of the smaller cities who host it, because it puts them on the map.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to FFH
Perhaps we can just enjoy the Olympics.

The Dv8or
Premium
Denver, CO
said by capecoddah:

Whats the point of a message board if we cant bitch about stuff that has zero impact on us?
--

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 edit
said by The Dv8or:

said by capecoddah:

Whats the point of a message board if we cant bitch about stuff that has zero impact on us?

Damn those lucid moments!

I was watching the futbal match soccer game game on Telemundo and they didn't even speak American!

I think Sir Paul Mc Catney dyes his hair too!

better

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
reply to FFH
Mitt Romney visits London and has this to say about the Olympics:

"You know, it's hard to know just how well it will turn out. There are a few things that were disconcerting, the stories about the private security firm not having enough people, supposed strike of the immigration and customs officials, that obviously is not something which is encouraging."

Mitt Romney is later advised by staffers and English PM David Cameron, then has this to say about the Olympics:

"What I have seen shows imagination and forethought and a lot of organization and [I] expect the Games to be highly successful."

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to FFH
My mom stayed up late to watch the entire opening ceremony. She said she liked the music by Paul Lennon.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH

Re: [olympics] London Olympics 2012 underway

Medal count after day 2:

Rank Country G S B Total

1. China 6 4 2 12
2. U.S. 3 5 3 11
3. Italy 2 3 2 7
4. South Korea 2 1 2 5
5. France 2 1 1 4
6. North Korea 2 0 1 3
7. Kazakhstan 2 0 0 2
8. Brazil 1 1 1 3
8=. Hungary 1 1 1 3
8=. Australia 1 1 1 3
11. Netherlands 1 1 0 2
12. Russia 1 0 3 4
13. Georgia 1 0 0 1
13=. South Africa 1 0 0 1

15. Japan 0 2 3 5
16. Britain 0 1 1 2
17. Cuba 0 1 0 1
17=. Taiwan 0 1 0 1
17=. Romania 0 1 0 1
17=. Poland 0 1 0 1
17=. Colombia 0 1 0 1

22. Norway 0 0 1 1
22=. Belgium 0 0 1 1
22=. Serbia 0 0 1 1
22=. Uzbekistan 0 0 1 1
22=. Azerbaijan 0 0 1 1
22=. Moldova 0 0 1 1
22=. Ukraine 0 0 1 1
22=. Slovakia 0 0 1 1
22=. Canada 0 0 1 1

Total 26 26 30 82
G = Gold S = Silver B = Bronze
--

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH
Olympic standings after day 3. Only showing countries winning more than 1 medal.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH
I don't watch a lot of the Olympics events. But I do follow US basketball games and women's volleyball. Nothing like watching well toned young women bouncing around on the screen.:)
--

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV

2 recommendations

reply to FFH
The most impressive feature of the 2012 London Olympics?

The Dutch Womens' Field Hockey Team. Wow.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by KeysCapt:

The most impressive feature of the 2012 London Olympics?

The Dutch Womens' Field Hockey Team. Wow.

Yowza! May just have to agree with that one!

Though looks like the coach must take quite a few off her shins, for some reason.

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
Pretty sure that's the goaltender.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by KeysCapt:

Pretty sure that's the goaltender.

Oh, I see. Looks like she's wearing a suit jacket. Just more protective gear, I guess.

At any rate, go Holland!

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to FFH
The badminton cheating scandal is hilarious.

8 badminton players kicked out for trying to lose at London Olympics

quote:
The crowd booed as the badminton players dumped shots into the net, trying to improve their positioning for the next round. The umpire and tournament referee Torsten Berg issued warnings, imploring them to exert maximum effort.

Badminton’s governing body finally had its say Wednesday, and it wasn’t pleased, either.

Four teams were kicked out of the women’s doubles at the London Games for trying to lose on purpose
China, South Korea, and Indonesia
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
said by fatness:

quote:
The crowd booed as the badminton players dumped shots into the net, trying to improve their positioning for the next round. The umpire and tournament referee Torsten Berg issued warnings, imploring them to exert maximum effort.

Badminton’s governing body finally had its say Wednesday, and it wasn’t pleased, either.

Four teams were kicked out of the women’s doubles at the London Games for trying to lose on purpose

Competition run amok. It sounds like the crap NASCAR teams do when one member loses on purpose to a team member.
--

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by FFH:

said by fatness:

quote:

Competition run amok. It sounds like the crap NASCAR teams do when one member loses on purpose to a team member.

It's the Olympic Committee's own fault. They changed it from a single-elimination to a round-robin deal. The players 'see the injustice (loopholes) inherent in the system'. So they exploit the rules/format.
It might not be 'within the Olympic spirit', but I doubt there's actually any written rule that says any team is required to give maximum effort at all times.

For any team or individual in any sport, knowing that an anomaly within the format means that losing a particular game or match will increase your chances of advancing further into the tournament, it must be very tempting to go ahead and ensure that loss.
The "mistake" is in making it quite obvious that's exactly what you're doing, I guess. And when both teams in a game are doing it, hilarity-- and embarrassment for the governing body-- ensues.

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver
This is bloody ridiculous. they should have a mercy rule.

»www.nbcolympics.com/basketball/e···dex.html

USA 153 Nigeria 73.

I wonder if the top US college Team could win a Gold Medal.

The Dv8or
Premium
Denver, CO
said by capdjq:

This is bloody ridiculous. they should have a mercy rule.

»www.nbcolympics.com/basketball/e···dex.html

USA 153 Nigeria 73.

I wonder if the top US college Team could win a Gold Medal.

They have. Who do you think was knockin down golds before 1992?
--

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to FFH
Anyone catch this little scandal in boxing?

»www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/b···ngs.html

I watched the Iranian-Cuba fight, and I agreed with the ref. The Iranian fighter should have been dq'd for holding as that's all he was doing in the second round.

The Shimizu fight was the most disgusting display of referee incompetence I've ever seen. Made me wonder if the ref had actually been paid off.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH
Medal standings after Day 6:

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver
Looks like the US finally caught up to China. For a moment I thought China was going to run away with gold Medals. But after the swimming where are the US Gold medal "haul" going to come from?
Canada has a ton of catching up to do.

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by capdjq:

. . after the swimming where are the US Gold medal "haul" going to come from?

Sports you've barely heard of and only care about for 5 minutes every four years.

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver
said by AB:

said by capdjq:

Sports you've barely heard of and only care about for 5 minutes every four years.

Like trampoline jumping, the event which Canada won its first Gold medal.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to AB
said by AB:

said by capdjq:

The sports I don't think much of are the ones where whether you win or lose depends on subjective judgments of a panel of judges.
--

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH

Guy with carbon fiber lower legs gets a spot in 400 meter semifinals. While he isn't a likely medal candidate, he has the love of the crowd for making it this far.
»www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/08/0···pic-400/
--

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by FFH:

Guy with carbon fiber lower legs gets a spot in 400 meter semifinals. While he isn't a likely medal candidate, he has the love of the crowd for making it this far.
»www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/08/0···pic-400/

That guy's a great story. He had to prove to the Olympic committee that his handicap wasn't actually an advantage-- like Tom Dempsey, the former NFL field-goal kicker, whose half a foot and special shoe gave him a lot more surface area to kick and guide the ball with, so that 'handicap' made him a better field-goal kicker than someone with a whole foot.

Fishead1
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FFH
I wonder if the artificial legs give him any advantage over normal people.I would think he has some springy-ness in the artificial legs and if eventually they would have to have rules to on how they must be constructed.Just like in car racing you have to build a car under certain rules.
I applaud him for making it this far.They must feel like his own legs are this point and he doesn't even thing about them.How is he doing against the rest of the field/