The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
reply to capdjq

Re: [olympics] London Olympics 2012 underway

said by capdjq:

This is bloody ridiculous. they should have a mercy rule.

»www.nbcolympics.com/basketball/e···dex.html

USA 153 Nigeria 73.

I wonder if the top US college Team could win a Gold Medal.

They have. Who do you think was knockin down golds before 1992?
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to FFH5
Anyone catch this little scandal in boxing?

»www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/b···ngs.html

I watched the Iranian-Cuba fight, and I agreed with the ref. The Iranian fighter should have been dq'd for holding as that's all he was doing in the second round.

The Shimizu fight was the most disgusting display of referee incompetence I've ever seen. Made me wonder if the ref had actually been paid off.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to FFH5
Medal standings after Day 6:

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
Looks like the US finally caught up to China. For a moment I thought China was going to run away with gold Medals. But after the swimming where are the US Gold medal "haul" going to come from?
Canada has a ton of catching up to do.

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
said by capdjq:

. . after the swimming where are the US Gold medal "haul" going to come from?

Sports you've barely heard of and only care about for 5 minutes every four years.

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver
said by AB:

said by capdjq:

Sports you've barely heard of and only care about for 5 minutes every four years.

Like trampoline jumping, the event which Canada won its first Gold medal.

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to AB
said by AB:

said by capdjq:

The sports I don't think much of are the ones where whether you win or lose depends on subjective judgments of a panel of judges.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to FFH5

Guy with carbon fiber lower legs gets a spot in 400 meter semifinals. While he isn't a likely medal candidate, he has the love of the crowd for making it this far.
»www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/08/0···pic-400/
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by FFH5:

Guy with carbon fiber lower legs gets a spot in 400 meter semifinals. While he isn't a likely medal candidate, he has the love of the crowd for making it this far.
»www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/08/0···pic-400/

That guy's a great story. He had to prove to the Olympic committee that his handicap wasn't actually an advantage-- like Tom Dempsey, the former NFL field-goal kicker, whose half a foot and special shoe gave him a lot more surface area to kick and guide the ball with, so that 'handicap' made him a better field-goal kicker than someone with a whole foot.

Fishead1
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FFH5
I wonder if the artificial legs give him any advantage over normal people.I would think he has some springy-ness in the artificial legs and if eventually they would have to have rules to on how they must be constructed.Just like in car racing you have to build a car under certain rules.
I applaud him for making it this far.They must feel like his own legs are this point and he doesn't even thing about them.How is he doing against the rest of the field/

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1
Watched him run today, truly impressive. Took 2nd coasting to the line. He's there to compete.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
I doubt those blades would give him an advantage on the start as they wouldn't have the grip that normal feet would.

He does look pretty cool though..........hope he does well.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

Fishead1
Premium
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
He has spikes on the bottom and he has no trouble starting that I could see.
The problem I see going forward is when does it become an advantage and what would be the rules on how far you could go with mechanical assist from stuff like this.I mean whats to stop someone from going RoboCop like aides on his feet.Where does it end?

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB
Really? This is what it's come to? Complaining about how much an "advantage" a guy with 2 amputated legs has?

He has 2 legs missing. I'll bet he would give up his blades for a set of real legs in a heartbeat.

Fishead1
Premium
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Your missing the point.I admire his heart and hope he does wonderful things and goes far in his sport.
But at what point do they allow what he can do to enhance his legs mechanically to get an advantage over a normal person?
Like a ball player using steroids to get an advantage.Or say an pitcher with an artificial that can throw a ball 140 MPH and no one can hit him.
I don't question his heart.
Do they have any rules of what you can and can not do with you artificial legs?

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
said by Fishead1:

Do they have any rules of what you can and can not do with you artificial legs?

Obviously you didn't bother to read the link that was posted.

quote:
After dozens of hearings in front of hundreds of men and women in suits charged with the task of deciding whether the blades gave Pistorius an unfair advantage -- then getting his country's Olympic committee to accept his qualifying times and enter him into the games -- Pistorius finally got his chance.
I doubt there are any pre-written rules to cover any and all unforseen or unforseeable situations. A unique situation comes up, you appear before a committee.

Fishead1
Premium
Bronx, NY
Sorry I didn't see the link.I'll take a look at that link.

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
You're using a non-standard medals table Romney2012. Your table is listing total medals when the normal procedure is to rank by golds, then silver, then bronze. The official table is here.

EDIT: Apparently the total medals ranking is the norm in the US. Wikipedia expounds -

Medal count ranking

"The gold first ranking system described above is used by most of the world media, as well as the IOC. While the gold first ranking system has been used occasionally by some American media outlets, newspapers in the United States and Canada primarily publish medal tables ordered by the total number of medals won ..."

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_me···_systems

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
reply to FFH5
So did anyone see how Liu Xiang just collapsed on the first hurdle? It is sure sad to see him end his career this way.
--

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to FFH5
I do watch boxing or even know half the rules but this takes the cake. The boxer in kept landing blows after blows and knocking the boxer in blue down. Here is a vid of it.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdEu1f24···embedded

--
Caddy

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
quote:
A boxing referee from Turkmenistan was expelled from the London Olympics on Thursday for his handling of a bout in which the result was overturned on appeal.

Boxing's governing federation, known as AIBA, released a statement saying referee Ishanguly Meretnyyazov ''is on his way back home.''

In a bantamweight bout, Magomed Abdulhamidov of Azerbaijan fell to the canvas six times in the third round against Satoshi Shimizu of Japan, yet still won a 22-17 decision.

Meretnyyazov allowed the fight to continue after each tumble, and he enraged the Japanese team by fixing the headgear worn by Abdulhamidov, who had to be helped from the ring after winning.
AIBA overturned the result late Wednesday night, saying Meretnyyazov should have counted at least three knockdowns and stopped the bout.
Article

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Thanks it good that they reversed the call.
--
Caddy

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA
reply to KeysCapt
This is shocking. Boxing has always had a reputation as such an above-board and untainted sport . . .

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
Ya right..........I know you're joking

Watch the Canadian against the Brit yesterday and tell me how the Brit won even after an appeal.

Refs are brutal at these games..........it's disgusting.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

Jrb2
Premium
join:2001-08-31
reply to KeysCapt
said by KeysCapt:

The Dutch Womens' Field Hockey Team.

They are in the final against Argentina after a difficult semi against New-Sealand (great respect to the New-Sealand women!). That's going to be a great game...

Jrb2
Premium
reply to FFH5
Have you folks seen the Flying Dutchman Epke Zonderland?
»www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18903127

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to Jrb2
Do you mean New Zealand?

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver
said by shaner:

Do you mean New Zealand?

He's a Newfie.

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to Fishead1
said by Fishead1:

He has spikes on the bottom and he has no trouble starting that I could see.
The problem I see going forward is when does it become an advantage and what would be the rules on how far you could go with mechanical assist from stuff like this.I mean whats to stop someone from going RoboCop like aides on his feet.Where does it end?

I hope this article answers some of your questions. Essentially, prosthetics are a horrible way of transferring the body's energy to action. In fact, Pastorius would be much, much faster with normal legs.

»m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/···/260878/
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

Jrb2
Premium
reply to shaner
said by shaner:

Do you mean New Zealand?

Argh, my bad. Yes, I meant New Zealand.
My sincere apologies!
Thanks for correcting me!