milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to Gone

to Gone

Re: Quebecor wins court ruling over Bell

said by Gone:

*coughHcardHUcardcough*

I didn't say it was impossible. But over the years, the most hacked system was Nagravision, simply because it was the easier system to hack. Pirates usually prefer to go down the quickest and easiest path to fame and fortune.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by milnoc:

I didn't say it was impossible. But over the years, the most hacked system was Nagravision, simply because it was the easier system to hack. Pirates usually prefer to go down the quickest and easiest path to fame and fortune.

Bullshit. DirecTV was just as easy to hack, and was done *years* before Dish and BEV were. You still see plenty of DirecTV dishes on people's roofs in memory of those days.

True dat
@videotron.ca

True dat

Anon

Yup.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

1 edit

the cerberus to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by milnoc:

Bullshit. DirecTV was just as easy to hack, and was done *years* before Dish and BEV were. You still see plenty of DirecTV dishes on people's roofs in memory of those days.

LOL those dishes are not just in memory, most of the hardware works for FTA, Bell and Dish Network and so it is being reused.

I agree, neither satellite provider was easier to hack than the other, and both happened due to leaks.

None of this can be blamed on the provider for choosing the wrong encryption vendor, its entirely the vendor/hacker/leaker who is at fault.
said by hmm :

Videotron fixed theirs lickity-split. Bell giggled as they not only had the market for the most basic services with hacked and free channels, but they also knew people went to their boxes because the prices was affordable. 50$ versus 200$.

The whole market was based on piracy, Videotron lost.

Again, and I dont know why I am repeating this because you clearly arent listening, Bell did not just giggle, neither did Dish Network or DirectTV, every provider chose a path of ECM's before swapping out cards. STANDARD PROCEDURE!!!
They PAYED Nagra for the encryption and so "support" was given in the form of ECM's until the Nagra3 card was ready to be deployed.

DirectTV had to spend a ton of money switching card vendors and receivers entirely. Thats the only reason they got out earlier.
said by hmm :

But once bell was forced to upgrade the cards, people saw zero value in BeV. It just wasn't worth it, and switched to videotron.

Are you that daft to think a card change somehow stopped piracy?

Like I said above every subscription tv ca can be shared online, and no provider can stop it so far....

Ca sharing is arguably better than hacked cards or emu.
Emu needed to be patched with every ECM and hacked cards just got zapped every once in a while.
With ca sharing, the server is in charge of all the work, and the client just sits back and watches tv, so no bin flashing or card blocking/reprogramming needed. Its arguably better than ever before.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by the cerberus:

LOL those dishes are not just in memory, most of the hardware works for FTA, Bell and Dish Network and so it is being reused.

When DirecTV stopped working, what do you think I used my DirecTV dish for? Those adapters to mount a second LNB to those dishes were very popular for a while. I have two Bell dishes with two LNBs sitting on my basement floor. When I moved to my last place I never bothered to put them back up, and shortly after public card sharing pretty much disappeared.
said by the cerberus:

Are you that daft to think a card change somehow stopped piracy?
Like I said above every subscription tv ca can be shared online, and no provider can stop it so far....

Yup, it's still out there. It's just not the free for all it once was.

I had an original Nfusion, too. Those were the days...
Vomio
join:2008-04-01

Vomio

It's still pretty easy if you want to play pirate.
IKS is fairly cheap, servers are off-shore, the folks from the US usually watch Bell and Canadians watch Dish.

There are of course still the grey market activities too, but that tends to be just cross border friends and relatives supplying a billing address these days.

At the present time it would appear the cost/benefit ratio is too high to bother to stamp out cross border viewers.

I have a Shaw dish and subscription for the spouse.
It would be a cold day in Hell before I went with Rogers, and Bell is Bhell.

I have a motorized dish for my personal geekatainment, grabbing unencrypted broadcasts and feeds.

One of these days I might really upset the neighbours and stick up a tower for OTA.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah a friend of mine still does IKS. I don't do it for the same reasons you already described. My Shaw Direct account is also for the wife. It were up to me I'd put an antenna up on the roof and just watch off-air television. As it stands right now I can get everything out of the US with just a pair of rabbit ears so I'm pretty well covered.