All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hellrazzer24
join:2002-06-21
united state

hellrazzer24

GPU Cards in a bit of a lull, what gives?

Greetings DSLR.

Last year, in July, I purchased an Nvidia 560ti for about $170 AR on amazon.com. I thought it was a good deal at the time, and after searching for a new GPU today, I realized its a damn great deal.

What has happened in the past year that GPU prices never fell? All 560ti's are still $200 and above on newegg. 570's start at $300, and 580's start at $430. The next generation cards, 670 starts at $400.

My GPU works fine, other than an annoying click from the fan (sigh), but I was hoping to either pair it up for SLI by now or upgrade to something better. I thought GPU's were on a yearly cycle. Anyone know what happened this year?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

How the hell did you a 560ti for $170?

That's a really damn good deal. We're still waiting on the 660ti to be released, should be August.

I want to pick up a second 580, probably once they hit about $300-350.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

said by Krisnatharok:

»www.gadgetneeds.net/ecs- ··· eo-card/

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Gal ··· =3568846

/shrug

hellrazzer24
united state

hellrazzer24 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Amazon had it for about $200... PNY had a $30 rebate. But that was over a year ago. Prices haven't changed. If anything, they have creeped up a little.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to FizzyMyNizzy

Premium Member

to FizzyMyNizzy
Well I was referring to a year ago, not now...
Krisnatharok

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok to hellrazzer24

Premium Member

to hellrazzer24
said by hellrazzer24:

said by Krisnatharok:

Amazon had it for about $200... PNY had a $30 rebate. But that was over a year ago. Prices haven't changed. If anything, they have creeped up a little.

There hasn't been a lot of push to dramatically increase processing power--I think we're being held back by developers who are reluctant to produce games that today's consoles can't handle.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

Meh...

Frostbyte 2 based games
Cryengine based games

ummmm....

Well, yeah, I guess we are being held back
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

2 recommendations

BlitzenZeus to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Well we don't really need to have fully AA rendered cgi in everything, sure it's nice, but graphics don't make the game.

Those who are spoiled by graphics might discount superior games on their graphics alone for something that would end up in the discount bin soon when all it was standing on was superior graphics. I can't even imagine how many games were based on the unreal, and similar engines of their times.

I'm not pulling the "we had two sticks, and a rock. And we had to share the rock" routine, but my favorite games have been ones where they were fun to play. These days it seems if you put out another stupid shooter where you can kill random people on the internet some people love it, but it's overplayed. I swear some of these so-called adhd children need to be given some old logic games, no internet to cheat, and games like Myst to learn some patience. I miss the days where games had an interesting story, and possibly took weeks to beat, where an all nighter wouldn't do it. Ones where you had to do more than just smash the A button on the controller, and you usually still won.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to hellrazzer24

Premium Member

to hellrazzer24
It is CPUs also.
Last august I bought a Core I3 for $70 on sale at frys.
Last month I was looking to upgrade as prices on faster CPUs should be much cheaper.

What I found is the exact same Core I3 I bought now sells for $120 even online at newegg, tigerdirect, frys, etc.
Faster CPUs were even more expensive.

Processors when up in price over the last year.
I guess since the economy has been improving they can get away with raising their prices.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to hellrazzer24

MVM

to hellrazzer24
Maybe this will help prices somewhat:
quote:
GeForce GTX 560, 550 Series Discontinuation to Quickly Follow GTX 660 Ti, 650 Launch
NVIDIA will expand its new generation of graphics processors into cost-effective price points with the launches of GeForce GTX 660 Ti, GTX 660, and GTX 650, in the August-September time-frame. According to a DonanimHaber report, the products the three are replacing, the GeForce 560 Ti, GTX 560, and GTX 550 Ti; will closely follow launches of the new GPUs. When a product discontinuation notice for a particular product is issued, distributors are set a last day for placing orders for it.

After fulfilling the last orders, the product's status is changed to End of Life (EOL). To consumers, this news comes as a heads up, if they plan to buy any of the three SKUs on the chopping block, at their currently-attractive prices. The GeForce GTX 560 Ti is available on US retail website Newegg.com for as low as $179.99 (after rebate), the GTX 560 goes for as low as US $149.99 (after rebate), and the GTX 550 Ti for as low as $114.99. One can also deduce that NVIDIA will have healthy inventories of the new GPUs on launch.
»www.techpowerup.com/1696 ··· nch.html
Octavean

Octavean to hellrazzer24

MVM

to hellrazzer24
quote:
Deal for August 7th - EVGA GTX 460 2Win for $169

Do you remember when we posted our review of the EVGA GeForce GTX 460 2Win graphics card? Just last year it retailed for $409 and rivaled the performance of the GTX 580. Well now you can pick one up for just $169 after a mail-in rebate!

This card features a pair of GF104 GTX 460 GPUs on a single PCB running in a semi-permanent SLI configuration. And considering a GTX 580 card will still cost you over $400 online today, the GTX 460 2Win from EVGA for $169 is a fantastic deal!!

»www.pcper.com/news/Gener ··· 2Win-169

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Let me know when the GK110 chip is out.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to hellrazzer24

MVM

to hellrazzer24
No one cares that the GTX 660 is now out?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Waiting for the reviews.... hopefully they're up today?

I'm now gaming at 1440p, and given AMD's superior scaling (at least in the past, need to double-check this generation) at that resolution, I might consider upgrading from my GTX 580 at some point in the next six months.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to hellrazzer24

Premium Member

to hellrazzer24
This is one review I read on the 660ti seems like a pretty nice card for the money. From what they're saying though, unless you're upgrading from a really old outdated card, getting a 660 is a kind of a waste of money.....

»www.maximumpc.com/articl ··· reviewed
quote:
The 660 Ti cards’ $300-320 price range puts them firmly between the Radeon HD 7870 and 7950 in price, and their performance is right between the two Radeons as well. The 660 Tis trounce the 7870 GHz edition, and gives the 7950 a run for its money as well. Unless and until AMD drops the price of the 7950 there’s no reason to buy it over the 660 Ti. AMD pushed out special clock-boosting BIOS updates to some reviewers’ reference 7950s earlier this week, but not to us, and we test against retail cards anyway, so that won't factor into our reviews.

Compared to the GTX 560 Ti 448, the GTX 660 Ti isn’t groundbreaking. If you have a 560 Ti there’s no reason to spend $300 on a 660 Ti; you’re better off getting a second 560Ti. But if you’re coming from an older midrange card (or an even older high-end card), or building a new rig, the 660Ti is a great choice.

hellrazzer24
united state

hellrazzer24

said by Ghastlyone:

This is one review I read on the 660ti seems like a pretty nice card for the money. From what they're saying though, unless you're upgrading from a really old outdated card, getting a 660 is a kind of a waste of money.....

quote:
The 660 Ti cards’ $300-320 price range puts them firmly between the Radeon HD 7870 and 7950 in price, and their performance is right between the two Radeons as well. The 660 Tis trounce the 7870 GHz edition, and gives the 7950 a run for its money as well. Unless and until AMD drops the price of the 7950 there’s no reason to buy it over the 660 Ti. AMD pushed out special clock-boosting BIOS updates to some reviewers’ reference 7950s earlier this week, but not to us, and we test against retail cards anyway, so that won't factor into our reviews.

Compared to the GTX 560 Ti 448, the GTX 660 Ti isn’t groundbreaking. If you have a 560 Ti there’s no reason to spend $300 on a 660 Ti; you’re better off getting a second 560Ti. But if you’re coming from an older midrange card (or an even older high-end card), or building a new rig, the 660Ti is a great choice.

So more than a year later, if I want better performance, I have to spend about $30 more for the same card I bought last year and run an SLI. This is what I meant by the lull in graphics cards. The midrange units just haven't fell at all from a year ago.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

You still got a ridiculously good deal on a freshly launched card, even if the brand is not one of the best.

The Zotac, btw, is $170.
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14500190

Give them another week since the 660 Ti just came out and prices may drop again.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to hellrazzer24

Premium Member

to hellrazzer24
said by hellrazzer24:

said by Ghastlyone:

quote:

So more than a year later, if I want better performance, I have to spend about $30 more for the same card I bought last year and run an SLI. This is what I meant by the lull in graphics cards. The midrange units just haven't fell at all from a year ago.

Exactly. I figured the 448 core 560ti's would have dropped significantly by now. They are still holding strong in price, anywhere from 250-300 dollars.

Hell, even my card is "higher" in price, then when I purchased it last January. Anywhere from 15-30 dollars higher right now. I know it's a classified version, but give me a break.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Nope, waiting on the GTX685

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

said by Octavean:

This ^

I think this is going to be the card I'm going to get. This is only speculation, but I'd imagine the price range to be in the $600-700 range.

I wouldn't think the 685 would be the same cost as a 690.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to DarkLogix

MVM

to DarkLogix
Yeah, I’m not blown away by the GTX660. It’s a nice card and all but I don’t think I’ll buy anything new for now. I’ll revisit the question later in October. Since I have a triple monitor set though I’ll want a card that can support three monitors. If I want to step up to something like the GTX670 or higher the extra time makes it a little easier to deal with the higher price.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

said by DarkLogix:

said by Octavean:

This ^

I think this is going to be the card I'm going to get. This is only speculation, but I'd imagine the price range to be in the $600-700 range.

I wouldn't think the 685 would be the same cost as a 690.

When the GTX685 hits I expect it to make the GTX680 to drop in price and for the GTX685 to be priced at the range of the GTX680 is right now)

IMO the GTX690 will stay as the top priced card (unless there's a GTX695) and I'm not so interested in dual GPU cards.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to hellrazzer24

MVM

to hellrazzer24
quote:
AMD is slashing graphics prices, the war is on!

While this move could hurt AMD's bottom line, there is only good news for gamers looking to upgrade their system with a new (or another) GPU from AMD. With the release of NVIDIA's GTX 660 Ti at a price close to that of the HD 7870 and performance closer to an HD 7950, AMD has once again cut the pricing of their cards. The price cuts should kick in by the end of the week, so hold off purchasing those cards for another week to benefit from the new pricing and to give NVIDIA a chance to respond as well.

»www.pcper.com/news/Graph ··· ices-war