spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hawk82
join:2001-04-26
centralmaine

hawk82

RR SMTP server listed at Spamcop

I got this alert from one of my clients trying to send e-mail to another client (using RR SMTP as a Smarthost since they don't have a Static IP address):

user@domain.com (after RCPT TO): 550-"JunkMail rejected - cdptpa-omtalb.mail.rr.com [75.180.132.120]:3927 is in
550 an RBL, see Blocked - see »www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml ··· 132.120"

21 hours until it gets delisted, but it should be delisted now since it is not a spambot/zombie/etc.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin

said by hawk82:

I got this alert from one of my clients trying to send e-mail to another client (using RR SMTP as a Smarthost since they don't have a Static IP address):

user@domain.com (after RCPT TO): 550-"JunkMail rejected - cdptpa-omtalb.mail.rr.com [75.180.132.120]:3927 is in
550 an RBL, see Blocked - see »www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml ··· 132.120"

21 hours until it gets delisted, but it should be delisted now since it is not a spambot/zombie/etc.

Many RBL sites block dynamic IPs chunks. If you send mail from a residential account it will be blocked by some sites. Blocking or not is at the discretion of the owner of the RBL site.

Read spamcop's criteria in this respect, other sites like spamhaus have different levels of protection perhaps in the lowest it will accept mail sent from residential accounts (dynamic) in the highest it will not.

Basically when you use your own SMTP server you are at the mercy of the receiver.

About a month ago I tried to send a router log to a yahoo.com email address but it was rejected. The funny thing is that the account is business class rr but not static IP. When I used another biz static account it worked.

hawk82
join:2001-04-26
centralmaine

hawk82

Yes I already know that. No my client isn't on a res account; they're on a biz account, but not with a Static IP (trying to get them to order one, but they get service for free). That is why I configured my client's mail server to use Roadrunner's own SMTP server (smtp-server.roadrunner.com) as a Smarthost/relay. Just posted this as an informational notice, maybe someone at TWC can fix it or not. Also might be helpful info to other TWC users.
hawk82

hawk82

Blacklisted again.

»www.spamcop.net/w3m?acti ··· .132.120

ds5v50
join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

ds5v50

I wonder if you could switch smtp servers to get around it? I really don't know..
Our smtp server is not listed so that would be the reason I ask.
elnino
join:2006-08-27
Akron, OH

elnino

said by ds5v50:

I wonder if you could switch smtp servers to get around it? I really don't know..
Our smtp server is not listed so that would be the reason I ask.

I agree, couldn't they just re-IP it or stand up a new SMTP server? It's very frustrating having it work one day and be blocked for the next two

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

Suit Up to hawk82

to hawk82
If you're running a your own mail server and forwarding through another one, why not just switch to forward through a different one? There are many guides on forwarding through gmail's smtp server, for example, and nobody is going to block Google.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

...and nobody is going to block Google.

Yes. They. Do. Gmail isn't just one server, so blocking one of them really doesn't break anything.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up

said by cramer:

...and nobody is going to block Google.

Yes. They. Do. Gmail isn't just one server, so blocking one of them really doesn't break anything.

So... in other words... nobody is going to block Google*...

*Notice I said Google in both this and the first post. Not an individual Gmail server.

piper
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
Buffalo, NY

piper to hawk82

Premium Member

to hawk82
What I have noticed over the years, is that any IP address in the 70's (76.xxx.xxx.xxx, 75.xxx.xxx.xxx, 74.xxx.xxx.xxx) is blacklisted, IP's in the 60's are not (67.xxx.xxx.xxx, 64.xxx.xxx.xxx, 62.xxx.xxx.xxx)

Just something I have observed, not saying it really works like this, but it is what I have noticed and paid attention to over the years.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to hawk82

to hawk82
Perhaps TWC/RR would wake up and make the spambots that are using their service get shut down, vs the IPs getting black listed for all. I seriously doubt the abuse@rr.com does anything to actually cause RR to say hey customer we've gotten a lot of complaints from your service ip, we are cutting you off till your clean.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin

said by OSUGoose:

Perhaps TWC/RR would wake up and make the spambots that are using their service get shut down, vs the IPs getting black listed for all. I seriously doubt the abuse@rr.com does anything to actually cause RR to say hey customer we've gotten a lot of complaints from your service ip, we are cutting you off till your clean.

They are paying very close attention to these issues, last month I got a call from a client telling me that TWCBC wanted to talk to the IT guy. When I called back a very serious lady told me that some computer inside my client's network was sending SPAM using TCP port 25.

After a careful inspection of the network I found that the boss' computer was running a tor open relay... he is very concerned about democracy in other parts of the world /sarcasm

After changing the settings to relay only everything was fine again but what struck me was the seriousness of the person I talked to, something out of some NSA movie. I thought I was going to get water-boarded

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Well Hostwinds act bothered when they come up as the offending party.
elnino
join:2006-08-27
Akron, OH

elnino to hawk82

to hawk82
Well, that didn't last long. It's back on the SpamCop RBL