TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

[Rant] yet another YouTube rant...

Well, I just realized that I've been missing out on a lot of videos from my subscriptions.

Stupid YouTube defaulted the home page to show "highlights" instead of "everything".

The more I use it the more I think this new YouTube interface is complete trash!!! Junk!!! Utterly useless!!!

All I want is a nice list sorted by channel of all the subscribed videos have not yet watched. Is this really too much to ask for? The old interface did exactly this, why did they have to take away such useful functionality???

GRRRRRRRRRR!!!

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

It did?

I only ever hit the my subscriptions page.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to TheMG

I have to agree. It really does suck. Google must have got some new geeks to work for them, and they came up with this brainstorm idea.

I have to manually check "everything" now, and yet I see duplicates of almost everything.
It is so mucked up it isnt even funny.

YouTube is no longer "You"

Be great if there was another site out there similar to what YT used to be.
Corporate greed at its best now at YT/google.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to TheMG

How dare they change their service that they provide to you absolutely free of charge!

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

They make shitloads of money from the ad revenue. The more people use YouTube the more ad revenue they make.

Therefore, it is in their best interest to create a service that is functional and efficient to use. Currently, I don't think it's efficient at all.

Consider this: if I miss watching some videos because of YouTube's bad interface, they make less ad revenue from less video/page views.

Your argument about the service being offered "free of charge" is therefore a moot point.

Also, I wouldn't care about the change, if the change actually increased the functionality and efficiency instead of doing the opposite.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

+1 !

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to TheMG

Well they made the change. And aren't likely to revert it. I'm sure they didn't just make changes willy nilly. They likely spent some of that ad revenue on research to determine what exactly the majority of users want. You unfortunately happen to be in the minority.

At any rate, you're bitching about the changes in the wrong place if you actually want anything done about it. have you tried voicing your concerns over the changes with Google directly?

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

said by thegeek:

Well they made the change. And aren't likely to revert it. I'm sure they didn't just make changes willy nilly. They likely spent some of that ad revenue on research to determine what exactly the majority of users want. You unfortunately happen to be in the minority.

At any rate, you're bitching about the changes in the wrong place if you actually want anything done about it. have you tried voicing your concerns over the changes with Google directly?

I agree that Google is a business and they certainly have the right to make their products more appealing to twit users and the growing "I must let the cyber/cell world know I found another pubic hair" crowd. They are perfectly free to forget or abandon previous "customers" and a win/win business objective if they so choose.

On the other hand this is a rant forum, and as for Google, it sure looks like they can't be bothered with users problems.
Here is one of several links to Google's Search Forum where hundreds of users have complained about the disappearance of cached results in their search engine.
A moderator named Kelly F. at first tried to tell users that it was still available and just harder to access, but then she disappeared when it was found that there were indeed other problems. That was a year ago.
--
There's nothing big I want to prove,
No mountains that I need to move,
Or even claim what's right or true for you.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 recommendation

reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

They likely spent some of that ad revenue on research to determine what exactly the majority of users want.

Then I will conclude that the majority of users are idiots who have been sucked into the big hole of social networking (Facebook).

said by thegeek:

Believe me, I have complained to Google about this, and other issues with some of their other products (including Gmail and Google Apps), on more than one occasion.

It has changed absolutely nothing.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to TheMG

Well, I just noticed today that YouTube now labels watched videos and grays them out.

At last, a step in the right direction!

I guess all the bitching and complaining from thousands of users finally paid off.

Wonder why they removed such a useful feature to begin with?

Expand your moderator at work

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to TheMG

Re: [Rant] yet another YouTube rant...

YouTube is full of useless advertisement repeating themselves over and over all day! Get a life YouTube... You're losing viewers.

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to TheMG

Another thing I wasn't happy about was the fact that on June 15th, Youtube blocked all Astak Molecam uploads. For three days I wracked my brain trying to figure out why my motion detected videos were not uploading and why the Molecam's remote settings were status "404 forbidden". A search for information turned up only two threads on Yoics and Astak support sites. So the Molecam just lost its value, due to a policy change at Youtube.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Robotics

I agree,its ugly!! (Ugly colours,etc)