Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb

Re: [Scam] Caller ID spoofing

Only worry about it if you are prone to drunk-dialing yourself for a booty call.

I've added my number to my phone's blocklist...for whatever good that will do.

Jammy
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA

Jammy

Premium Member

Oh this should be noted as being very informative! It was to me at least.

Jammy
said by DC DSL:

Only worry about it if you are prone to drunk-dialing yourself for a booty call.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL
said by DC DSL:

Yeah, that happened to me and I STILL struck out!

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium Member
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA

stormbow

Premium Member

said by garys_2k:

said by DC DSL:

Yeah, that happened to me and I STILL struck out!

Well, its good to know you have standards
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to DC DSL

to DC DSL
said by DC DSL:

Since I run a call center, I can tell you that its really easy to spoof numbers(literally, in our system, i just change the "outgoing" number to anything I want, and it shows up as whatever that number is registered to on your CID). sadly, there is nothing that can be done about "card services" because they are most likely using a system such as ours here, which uses VoIP to outdial, and the CID info can be changed at any time by changing the number. Also, they are pulling names and numbers from the national DNC list(i know, because we have to pull them too, and use them to remove all those numbers from our system), and im guessing this is how they get their numbers because there is really no checking as to who is requesting them, and what for.
Once they know they have a live line, they call relentlessly because they can, and want to annoy the fuck out of you once they know you wont fall for it.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

It is extremely unlikely that "Rachael" pulls from the DNC list since it requires registration and a fee. Those f*tards use wardialers and just run through exchanges...which is why they also hit cell phones and just-assigned VoIP exchanges. They probably just load an NPA-Nxx table (or even more basic For...Next looping) and roll.

Their "special sauce" is the "Press 1 to speak to con artist" trick that then dials-on to wherever their boiler room is so they capture your number. There's something more than just forwarding the number that the dialer hit because one time they called on one of my GV numbers that routes to a virtual VoIP number that terminates at LocalPhone. I was having a bad day and decided to string them along; they "confirmed" my number as LocalPhone's outbound number in a completely different NPA (which doesn't allow DID)...NOT the GV number or the intermediate VVoIP. Even more odd is that LocalPhone did *not* charge me for an outbound call (which I would have liked to be able to trap an actual number they use). I haven't kept up with telephony tech, so I am rather baffled as to how they pull that off.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by DC DSL:

It is extremely unlikely that "Rachael" pulls from the DNC list since it requires registration and a fee.

no, it does not. we can get those and voters lists for free(we do some contracted political calling during campaign season) , without anyone ever batting an eyelash as to what they are going to be used for. They need numbers to call, and working as a call center manager, im guessing they use similar software to ours that outdials on VoIP lines, and then we can just load aggregated phone lists in, and it calls them(filters out answering machines, no answers, dead lines, ect.). When we get a live person, or a live line, we know it. The "press 1" thing simply reenforces that its a live person(ours is not set up to do that, but it can be).

I dont think war dialing even works anymore, tbh. If we call the same exchange, over and over(meaning number after number), we get "timed out" from that exchange, meaning we can't hit an exchange with 555-0000, 555-0001, 2,3,4, ect. I really do highly believe that they pull their numbers from the national DNC registry, as well as voters lists, or they harvest them from other sources, but those are the two most likely.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

said by Chubbysumo:

no, it does not. we can get those and voters lists for free(we do some contracted political calling during campaign season) , without anyone ever batting an eyelash as to what they are going to be used for.

»www.donotcall.gov/faq/fa ··· aspx#how

Registration is mandatory. Fees may apply.
said by Chubbysumo:

I dont think war dialing even works anymore, tbh. If we call the same exchange, over and over(meaning number after number), we get "timed out" from that exchange, meaning we can't hit an exchange with 555-0000, 555-0001, 2,3,4, ect. I really do highly believe that they pull their numbers from the national DNC registry, as well as voters lists, or they harvest them from other sources, but those are the two most likely.

Timeout is easily circumvented by distributing the dialing process across multiple outbound routes and interleaving them with gaps on the individual processes such as every 5 or 10 numbers. So process 1 might dial 0000, 0005, 0010. Process 2 dials 0001, 0006, 0011. Process 3 hits 0002, 0007, 0012. Likely there is also a variable delay between attempts. If they appear at the exchange from different sources with irregular timing, it is impossible to distinguish between programmed dialing and normal traffic. And, isn't there a flag that indicates a reverse-911 style notification system that suspends flood checking? If they can fake CID, they can fake that, too.