join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
(Software) pfSense
Netgear CM1200
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-HD

bradyr to DZS

Premium Member

to DZS

Re: [Wi-Fi] Can Only Get 20 Down on Wi-Fi - Thoughts?

in my humble opinion and experience, real world for 144Mbps wireless-n speeds is around 60% of that...

you could probably sit on top of your wireless router with your laptop and do some iperf testing between you and a hardwired server or something and see better than that but honestly, I wouldnt expect much more than that.

same holds true (imo) for 300Mbps (5ghz band) wireless. 60% of that for real world speeds..

other people may have different experiences or results but i wouldn't expect much more.

would make for some interesting discussions when people upgrade to comcast's 305Mbps or whatever. you'd need a hard wired client to get full speed IMO..

*edit: this is all assuming you're negotiated at the full speed of the wireless connection (i.e. full bars, strong signal. ) not hanging by a thread at the end of the range of your router with a negotiated speed of like 10Mbps.
DZS
join:2007-09-09
York, PA

DZS

60% is 86.4, enough to cover me at the "new" blast speeds.

Router supports 300Mbps, but apparently my Macbook does not. (late 2008).
bman212121
join:2005-06-09

1 recommendation

bman212121 to bradyr

to bradyr
@bradyr: I would have to agree your assessment. I would say 50 - 60% is about what I see using 20mhz channels. Sadly in 2.4ghz range using 40mhz channels didn't seem to do anything for me. (nothing in nearby channels either)

@JeepMatt: IIRC the numbers for just overhead from encryption are something like 50% WEP, 30% WPA, and 20% WPA2. A new encryption standard might be able reduce overhead a bit more in the future. So Not only are you getting stronger security you are now seeing the extra bandwidth from using WPA2.

@GmDude66: It should be able to do 300mbps but I think it's only in 5ghz and not 2.4ghz. I know that a 2008MBP can do 300mbps on 5ghz, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do it on 2.4ghz because it wouldn't run 40mhz channels. (Well a bit less than that because they don't seem to use Short Guard, probably disabled for power savings) The late 2008 Macbook has the same BCM4322 chipset as the MBP.