spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

greenman

join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA

UVerse seems determined to undercompete with Cable.

I just got the "Now Available At" letter from AT&T telling me that UVerse is now available in our area. They started construction for it back in 2007. It sat dormant for two years. Then they started working on it again for a while. Then it sat dormant for another year. Now, it's finally available and I'm seeing pricing.

The minimum buy-in is $20 per month for 3 down. No mention is made on any of the plans for upload speed, making me suspect it's probably still in the Kbps range, even for the higher-cost plans. That's just poor.

When we had AT&T DSL Ultra, we were getting 1.5Mbps down, 328Kbps up -- the only thing available in our very old neighborhood. For the same price, we're not getting much else. Worse, it's an introductory price.

For the same general price scheme with cable, I can get 15 down / 3 up -- pretty sufficient for my needs.

We dropped AT&T last January and started using magicJack because they decided to change our existing cost from $70/month for the bundle to $85/month for the same bundle. We were told we had no recourse and that our monthly 'product' was being discontinued. They obviously thought we'd cave. So we made a drastic change to adapt, and now we're not paying anywhere near the same amount and we don't have a phone bundle.

About a month after we dropped AT&T DSL Ultra and Land line we got a letter asking us to come back at the old price under a new product name, but we were perfectly pleased with magicJack and the existing bundle. In fact, it's become our new norm, and I'm not sure we would want to go back to spending that kind of money for phone and internet.

After years of being with AT&T - actually all my life, considering that my dad worked for AT&T all his adult life, we suddenly no longer had any AT&T account. It's still kind of weird, but there you have it. No monthly $70 phone bill.

I'd like to see some real competition between cable and Uverse, but I don't see it happening. With cable at anywhere from double to quadruple the speeds for the same price-points, I cannot see how Uverse can succeed in our neighborhood. Does AT&T really think people are going to drop their existing cable for Fiber to the Neighborhood (FTTN) with all the nickle-and-dime costs for extras? Sheesh.

I'm beginning to wonder if the US will ever see true widespread FTTH. We are so behind the times.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

I recently got a "Now Available" email regarding U-verse at my location. So, out of curiosity, I did a tentative on-line order. I initially saw the 18mbps downstream VDSL U-verse plan show up as being available at my location (including TV and VoIP). However, as soon as I went to the actual signup page, all I saw as really being available was the same old 3mbps downstream plan that I used to have (and it was still the old overloaded ATM service, not even the newer IPDSLAM service). Of course, I already knew that before I tried the on-line order...I knew that there were no new VRADs anywhere near my location.

You are right that it is intentional. AT&T is only giving lip service to any of their land line based services. Their ultimate plan is to be strictly a wireless provider, and eventually either find a buyer for their copper infrastructure, or just abandon it (when they can get out from under the regulatory requirements to maintain it). As for the fate of U-verse in the new wireless AT&T universe, it can be just as easily delivered by a fixed LTE service as it can by copper wire pairs (at a higher price of course).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

greenman

join:2002-06-18
Athens, GA

said by NetFixer:

...I knew that there were no new VRADs anywhere near my location.

... As for the fate of U-verse in the new wireless AT&T universe, it can be just as easily delivered by a fixed LTE service as it can by copper wire pairs (at a higher price of course).

But our neighborhood just got two new VRADS -- if five years old can be called 'new' -- one at each end of the neighborhood that have just come on line. And when I went to do the introductory 'invitation code' all I was offered was 3 down, too. How bizarre is that? Order Canceled. So much for 'rethink possible', eh? I doubt fiber lines will become obsolete, but they're slow coming because wireless is such a cash cow in the US, and we're lapping it up, even with such crummy pricing. In the next year as sun-spot activity increases, I wonder how it will affect wireless communications sales and the growth of fiber sales. If I'm not mistaken, fiber (especially underground fiber) would be less affected by solar flares than wireless communications - would it not? People want their connection...

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

AT&T will definitely keep their fiber optic infrastructure for use as a backhaul for their cell towers and their fixed wireless stations (that will be used instead of the copper wire distribution from the VRADs). And of course, they will keep their current fiber optic backbone infrastructure as well.

It is only the regulated copper wire pair infrastructure (and the unionized labor force that maintains it) that AT&T intends to shed.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to greenman

said by greenman:

For the same general price scheme with cable, I can get 15 down / 3 up -- pretty sufficient for my needs.

Out here in AT&T West (San José, California) the closest cable scheme (Comcast) price to AT&T DSL is no faster than ADSL; and that cable price depends on bundling two, or more, cable services.

I am currently getting nearly the same speed on a DSL loop (4.9Mb/s) that Comcast used to offer back in the DOCSIS 1.3 days. Landline POTS (both LD and local) and ADSL2+ Internet for just about $50 a month (includes taxes and PUC regulatory fees on the phone).

No, it is not AT&T, it is Sonic.net, LLC "Fusion".
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to greenman

Locally, in my neighborhood everyone on one side of the street can can get VRad based Uverse... apparently they [AT&T] won't be bothered to install about 600-1000 feet of new cable so they could connect about 40-60 houses. [Everyone on this side of the neighborhood can only get IP-DSL - CO based and slow [only qualify for 3 meg]. [I have 10 Meg cable... for about $30 or so per month for comparison..]

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

"... As for the fate of U-verse in the new wireless AT&T universe, it can be just as easily delivered by a fixed LTE service as it can by copper wire pairs (at a higher price of course).

Verizon does something similar... except for with the cell phone service: »www.engadget.com/2011/02/17/veri···ionwide/

The adapter connects to Verizons network... connects to the telephone wiring in your house (after disconnecting the local phone provider at the NID). Generally, works with most phones (cordless /wired) not necessarly phones built by Western Electric..

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by AMDUSER:

said by NetFixer:

"... As for the fate of U-verse in the new wireless AT&T universe, it can be just as easily delivered by a fixed LTE service as it can by copper wire pairs (at a higher price of course).

Verizon does something similar... except for with the cell phone service: »www.engadget.com/2011/02/17/veri···ionwide/

The adapter connects to Verizons network... connects to the telephone wiring in your house (after disconnecting the local phone provider at the NID). Generally, works with most phones (cordless /wired) not necessarly phones built by Western Electric..

Not even close to what I was talking about. However, Verizon does indeed have a fixed LTE service intended to replace DSL service (or at least it was testing it last year, I am not sure of its current status...their current deals with Comcast and other cable providers may have caused the fixed LTE service to take a back seat). »Verizon Will Aim Fixed LTE At Discarded DSL Users

My GE Cell Fusion DECT phone system (that I have used for several years) does what the device you pointed to does, and it doesn't care what carrier the cell phones use (the only cell phone requirement is that it supports Bluetooth hands free connectivity). »www.home-electronics.net/ge/pc/v···egory=19
--