dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to 34764170

to 34764170

Re: Has DSL pair bonding arrived at Bell?

said by 34764170:

said by kovy7:

There's plenty of other ways to gain customers...

They're going to have to deal with some / most of these problematic areas eventually anyway to remain competitive. Of course there is, but it requires network upgrades.

Yes, they're already dealing with it with FTTH.

And not everyone need speed... some would love caps, lower price, better service... you know.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by kovy7:

And not everyone need speed... some would love caps, lower price, better service... you know.

FTTH does not help with the many areas that will never see FTTH. So they'll need options on the FTTN side.

That's not really the point. They have to be able to offer FibeTV 25 or faster in a neighborhood. Remember their biggest product and what is driving their FTTN/FTTH network build out is FibeTV. FibeTV 25 leaves a lot to be desired for Internet speed so that's why they really need a 40 - 50Mbps tier on FTTN.
kovy7

kovy7

said by 34764170:

said by kovy7:

FTTH does not help with the many areas that will never see FTTH. So they'll need options on the FTTN side.

That's not really the point. They have to be able to offer FibeTV 25 or faster in a neighborhood. Remember their biggest product and what is driving their FTTN/FTTH network build out is FibeTV. FibeTV 25 leaves a lot to be desired for Internet speed so that's why they really need a 40 - 50Mbps tier on FTTN.

Why would areas never see FTTH ?

Heck I have Sat, not going to change for FibeTV since Sat quality is better and I always get full speed of Internet.

Like I said, speed is not the only option for getting customers...

XanderLo
join:2002-06-19
Boucherville, QC

XanderLo

said by kovy7:

said by 34764170:

said by kovy7:

Why would areas never see FTTH ?

Heck I have Sat, not going to change for FibeTV since Sat quality is better and I always get full speed of Internet.

Like I said, speed is not the only option for getting customers...

FTTH is an extra-long-term solution for Bell, seeing how slow deployment is in general. Hell, I remember reading how VDSL was supposed to be widely deployed for 2006. Yes, that's 6 years ago. Haha.

However, I agree with you that speed is not the only option for getting customers. I'm satisfied with Bell Satellite TV and I pay 15$/month for it after the 10$ bundle credit. That's for HD + 1 free PVR 36/months + 2 theme packages (RDS/RIS/Canal Vie/etc).

I'm afraid Fibe TV might be worth it for FTTH customers only as they get MASSIVE rebates (and none for FTTN customers, go figure). The 10$/month for 6 months promo on web site might be misleading.

I was not aware that Bell Sat image quality was better than Fibe TV though...
kovy7

kovy7

said by XanderLo:

FTTH is an extra-long-term solution for Bell, seeing how slow deployment is in general. Hell, I remember reading how VDSL was supposed to be widely deployed for 2006. Yes, that's 6 years ago. Haha.

However, I agree with you that speed is not the only option for getting customers. I'm satisfied with Bell Satellite TV and I pay 15$/month for it after the 10$ bundle credit. That's for HD + 1 free PVR 36/months + 2 theme packages (RDS/RIS/Canal Vie/etc).

I'm afraid Fibe TV might be worth it for FTTH customers only as they get MASSIVE rebates (and none for FTTN customers, go figure). The 10$/month for 6 months promo on web site might be misleading.

I was not aware that Bell Sat image quality was better than Fibe TV though...

VDSL2 was very late... and once it started, it went very quickly. But things for FTTH are clearly going at a good pace.

Yeah quality wise, FibeTv was better... but since they upgraded the feed from 2hd/2sd to 3hd/1sd... quality went down.