You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON

Serbtastic to Hitman66610

Premium Member

to Hitman66610

Re: [Windows] Cannot get network shares working with Boxee Box

For home use, all computers and devices should be in the same network space (192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0 OR 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0, NOT BOTH).

If Dlink is already 192.168.0.1, set Linksys to 192.168.0.2 and your DHCP scope to 192.168.0.100-200 (or whatever range you need). Ensure any static addresses are on the 192.168.0.x network, but are NOT within the DHCP scope and are not the same as the Dlink and Linksys.

Hitman66610
Pan-National Aquisitioner
Premium Member
join:2010-01-08
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610

Premium Member

Okay, I tried that, but it ended up confusing my computers. They wouldn't connect with anything but limited connectivity, and I could not access the D-Link router interface after. I went back into the D-Link router to change everything back, but could not access it's interface afterwards. I ended up having to reset the modem to factory defaults and start over. What could cause this?

Serbtastic
Premium Member
Stoney Creek, ON

Serbtastic

Premium Member

Why did you reset the modem? If you couldn't access the DLink? Also, was the machine you were using in the DLink IP address space? Can you share some more details?

Hitman66610
Premium Member
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610

Premium Member

I changed the Linksys routers IP to be 192.168.0.2. I rebooted the modem, renewed the connection on this laptop, and ended up getting limited connectivity with the laptop. I went in to the Linksys router to change the static IPs for my devices to ones that would work, and then tried to access the D-Link router to check and see if something needed to be changed in there, and couldn't access that. So I tried to reverse the process again, so I changed the Linksys router back to it's original IP. After it rebooted, I could not access anything through it, including the web interface. Since that meant I could not fix whatever the problem is, that's what I factory reset the Linksys.

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.
join:2007-11-19
USA

LowInfoVoter

said by Hitman66610:

I have two routers;

do they both have different network schemes? for instance, one as 192.168.1.* and the other 192.168.10.*?

Serbtastic
Premium Member
Stoney Creek, ON

Serbtastic

Premium Member

Read the thread.
»Re: [Windows] Cannot get network shares working with Boxee Box

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv to Hitman66610

to Hitman66610
You have several devices, and they all need to be in the same network - in your case that sounds like 192.168.0.x . Since the dlink is the router it's also the default gateway for all your devices - so everthing other than the dlink would have it's 192.168.1.x address, subnet mask equal to what you have on the drink (I'd recommend 255.255.255.0) and default gateway of 192.168.1.1. Then you'll get into what's static and what's DHCP, and make sure the static IP's are not within the DHCP range. I'd start with the Dlink (changing it's subnet mask) and work back from there. If you have some sort of diagramming software (visio, dia, etc) then I'd suggest you draw your entire network first and include the IP info so you can have it all planned out before you start. We'd all be happy to help you proof read it. Here's an example to give you an idea of th type of diagram I'm talking about.
bdnhsv

bdnhsv

correction - everything should be in 192.168.0.x and use 192.168.0.1 as their gateway. That's why I suggest you diagram it first so you can proof it to make sure it all lines up.

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.
join:2007-11-19
USA

LowInfoVoter to Serbtastic

to Serbtastic
the problem with two routed networks is that the edge router doesn't know how to get packets back to the internal router.

you have to manually tell the edge router to pass traffic to the internal router. you do this by creating a "static route".

otherwise, your devices in the internal router can get out, but the stuff on the outside cant get in.
LowInfoVoter

2 edits

LowInfoVoter to bdnhsv

to bdnhsv
said by bdnhsv:

I suggest you diagram it first so you can proof it to make sure it all lines up.

use gliffy.com. free as the dickens.
quote:
and they all need to be in the same network
not always true. this works:

»www.gliffy.com/gliffy/ap ··· G&size=L

i had 10.10.10.1 and 10.10.15.1 with a static route to 10.10.15.1 on 10.10.10.1. don't ask why i did it this way. just know i had a good reason to and that the important thing is that it worked.

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

That's a good looking tool. Thanks for sharing.
bdnhsv

bdnhsv to LowInfoVoter

to LowInfoVoter
Sure a static route could work if the router will support it, but it seems like a complex way to accomplish what has been stated (to me anyway). Just my opinion.

Hitman66610
Premium Member
Oakville, ON

Hitman66610 to LowInfoVoter

Premium Member

to LowInfoVoter
So here is the layout I have right now: »www.gliffy.com/go/publis ··· 3761479/

I probably would need exact numbers as feedback since lastime I tried to change the IP for the Linksys, it didn't work and I lost access to the web configuration page.

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

Nice job on the diagram. So you have .224 for your WAN subnet mask - do you have 30 public IP's? If so, would you like to use any of those inside your network?