Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 recommendation

[Info] Windows 8 wants to nickel and dime you to death

Looks like Windows 8 will be wanting mo' money for everything.
After wanting Windows 7 users to "terminate" sidebar gadgets, now they want you to cough up for aps in the aps store.
Windows 8 makes me wanna puke everytime I see news about it.

quote:
Microsoft's app store for Windows 8 has been on a slow and steady push towards 400 apps recently, despite the fact app publishing is still reserved for a small number of developers right now. After being previewed at a Microsoft event back in December, McAkins online notes that eBay has published its own Metro style app in the Windows Store, bringing the online shopping site to Windows 8 tablets and PCs.

quote:
Windows Store will be integrated into Windows 8. With just a few taps, you will be able to buy touch-friendly, Metro-style applications built for the new OS

Razzy

join:2012-06-21
said by Cartel:

After wanting Windows 7 users to "terminate" sidebar gadgets, now they want you to cough up for aps in the aps store.

quote:
Microsoft's app store for Windows 8 has been on a slow and steady push towards 400 apps recently, despite the fact app publishing is still reserved for a small number of developers right now. After being previewed at a Microsoft event back in December, McAkins online notes that eBay has published its own Metro style app in the Windows Store, bringing the online shopping site to Windows 8 tablets and PCs.

quote:
Windows Store will be integrated into Windows 8. With just a few taps, you will be able to buy touch-friendly, Metro-style applications built for the new OS

That's just Metro apps. The Windows software can still be downloaded/sold at developers/publisher's pleasure.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
reply to Cartel
yes but metro seems to be the spotlight of the OS, theres no way to terminate it like sidebar gadgets.

Razzy

Well.. it is.. it's a new thing for Windows 8.. what you want MS to do? Hide it so nobody knows about it?

There are tons of free apps on Metro app store, games included which will sell. Windows 7 didn't have that.

What do you mean terminate it? You just close it.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Cartel
said by Cartel:

This (integrated app stores) is how software (trusted software) will be sold in the future. Same as Apple. Same as Google.
Sorry about your stomach issues, hope you get them resolved.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL
reply to Cartel
said by Cartel:

quote:

quote:

Unless you purchase the USB connected "Microsoft Holds A Gun To Your Head" .50 caliber dongle, you have nothing to worry about. Nobody is going to force you to buy anything.

TD

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

2 recommendations

nickel and diming? well in canada they are quarter and looney'ing us.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

1 recommendation

reply to Cartel
I'm still trying to figure out whats so hot about windows7 so I won't be using 8 for a long, long time!
Maybe by the time windows 13 comes out MS OSs will work as good as windows XP does!

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
I won't be upgrading from XP SP3 on my family's computer as it does everything they need. I don't feel comfortable in deploying it on their PC as they probably won't see the need for it either. I honestly think they would be happy with Windows 98SE or even Windows Me!
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to The Pig
Windows 7 works better than XP IMHO after using Win7 since it came out at work and XP at home.

Start button is finally real (ie: Good) and it does everything very well and super stable.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Razzy

said by CylonRed:

Windows 7 works better than XP IMHO after using Win7 since it came out at work and XP at home.

Start button is finally real (ie: Good) and it does everything very well and super stable.

Yep and Windows 8 is even better.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
With what I have seen so far - eh... Care to elaborate at all?

Razzy

Don't really have time/motivation to type out an essay but I have been using it for over a month and I do not even want to go back to 7. I could not wait to upgrade my PC at my business to 8 when it comes out. Seeing how it is doesn't work at all.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
NO essay needed - a few simple points is all that is needed...

BTW - this part "Seeing how it is doesn't work at all." is confusing - what does not work????? If it is Win 7 - it works very well so then we would need your definition of 'works'.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Razzy

reply to CylonRed
FYI, time I spent in desktop on Windows 8 = 99%

Time spent on Metro apps on Windows 8 = 1%

Razzy

reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

BTW - this part "Seeing how it is doesn't work at all." is confusing - what does not work????? If it is Win 7 - it works very well so then we would need your definition of 'works'.

The Start Screen is a start menu replacement. The rest are bascially the same.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Razzy
said by Razzy:

FYI, time I spent in desktop on Windows 8 = 99%

Time spent on Metro apps on Windows 8 = 1%

I am confused - no idea what you are trying to convey here - no idea at all.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Razzy
said by Razzy:

said by CylonRed:

The Start Screen is a start menu replacement. The rest are bascially the same.

So - Win8 is so vastly better for the Start Screen...? Seriously? I would not pay $40 if that is the best thing about Win8. With at - I see the futility and will stop following the thread.
--
Brian

Razzy

Ha no, a lot of new features - like fast boot, explorer ribbon/task manager, better performance/memory management, live tiles on start screen displaying useful information (like gadgets but better), there are more I missed for sure.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed
That Metro is easily ignorable and doesn't really get in the way at all.

I probably spend a bit more time in it than Razzy though since sometimes I like to sit there and browse through the News applet, and I have the weather one constantly going so temperature info is just a single click away.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Cartel
So here is the question, what do you think of the Apple or Google stores for example? For one it means small software shops can focus on developing software and don't have to worry about 'selling' as that is handled by the OS vendor, you just get a check from them. There becomes a standards level that has to be met before you app can be listed, which would benefit users (ie reduce the amount of crap software). Frankly I think Microsoft wanted to do this a long time ago but the monopoly thing held them back, but now they can say they are just following what other OS vendors are already doing. As someone who has done a number of software companies of varying sizes, I know Microsoft has the best deal for software vendors of the 3 as for example they scale back the 30% for increased sales so its attractive that way, but so far every store I've seen have come up short in terms of letting vendors put their full weight behind marketing of their products, but I'm curious to see how Microsoft does with this.

Will I be first in line to get a Microsoft surface device, heck ya, do I like Windows 8, yes as it does grow on you once you use it, as its meant for a different user then traditional windows, but then again users have changed since Windows 3.0 busted onto the screen. Users today grew up with computers, which makes a difference when designing an OS like Windows 8.
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

This (integrated app stores) is how software (trusted software) will be sold in the future. Same as Apple. Same as Google.

Will we have to root the OS to regain control of our property, maybe to even install an alternative OS?
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY
reply to Cartel
Just upgraded from XP to Win7. Don't see any great advantages in the upgrade worth $200 and the 3 days to install all my existing software. I still have a couple of quirks with a couple of programs and I have no intentions of going to Win8.

I thought that Windows 7 was named because you get 7 updates a day 7 days a week, although it has been a bit better in the last week or two.

It also is totally ridiculous that Microsoft updates a working nVidia display driver with a version that crashed Photoshop.

I think sadly Microsoft is becoming a marketing company.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Didn't you learn back with Windows 98 to NEVER EVER get a video driver from Microsoft update site! If you have an OEM machine don't get it from them either because it will probably be a stripped down version (Dell does this). Always go to the vendor's website and don't keep updating willy-nilly display drivers...for a year maybe with a new computer and stop as you won't get anything useful after about that time and you increase the likelihood of the update being a bad one for you. After a year, get a new display driver only if you need it for a specific reason.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

What do you mean the start button is finally "real"? It has never appeared fake to me in 98, 98SE, XP or in Vista where it got screwed up but it was still real. I only had Windows 7 briefly during the public beta (although I will be buying a Windows 7 computer soon...before Oct 26) but the start button was real...it was totally messed up though worse than in Vista and I had to get third party software installed to fix it...but it sure as heck was "real".
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to Razzy
Everyone seems to be focused on metro. But it's just the start menu at the start of one's session. Some of the time after boot the system goes to the desktop right away. One does not have to leave the desktop ever. I spend about 95% of time on the desktop. I personally like to use the metro apps. I use them almost every session.
--
...as an individual, I have a right to [do] what I think, what I feel, and I think we all have a right to our own destiny as individuals. And I think I have a right to choose mine and everybody else has a right to choose theirs.
»jonestown.sdsu.edu

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Cartel
So without a start button you have to minimize the screen you are working with to open another link that you have to access on the screen?
Seems like a pain!

btB

@rr.com
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

(although I will be buying a Windows 7 computer soon...before Oct 26) but the start button was real...it was totally messed up though worse than in Vista and I had to get third party software installed to fix it...but it sure as heck was "real".

So you were using a 3rd party Start Menu in Windows 7? If so, then you could probably use the same program in Windows 8.

I use Classic Shell in Windows 7 and it works in Windows 8 as well.

For those who like the Windows Application page but prefer something not full screen within Desktop, there is a Start Menu alternative called Start8.

Both these utilities can be set to take you to desktop when you boot your computer.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to redxii
said by redxii:

said by JohnInSJ:

Will we have to root the OS to regain control of our property, maybe to even install an alternative OS?

No, you won't. You *have* root already, since it's not an appliance.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to The Pig
said by The Pig:

So without a start button you have to minimize the screen you are working with to open another link that you have to access on the screen?
Seems like a pain!

What? I have no idea what scenario you're talking about.
--