Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to towerdave

Premium Member

to towerdave

Re: [Info] Windows 8 wants to nickel and dime you to death

I wouldn't bother with her, it's a common theme with her that everyone else is the problem yet she claims to know so much yet has so many problems.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
I'd say if a developer wants to spend time to make an app they should be able to sell it on the app store for money (or give it away for free if desired). Metroland may be a good untapped market for developers.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
I defined 'real' already - it takes the XP menu and finally does what it should have in XP. Since XP, I have only used the Classic menu and Win7 finally got it right.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Yes, you said that "real" means "good". That tells me absolutely nothing except your very vague, subjective opinion that "start" button is "good" in Win 7.

Pardon me but whoopee do...I really feel enlightened now.
Mele20

Mele20 to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
What about Windows Media Center in Windows 8? I read that if you upgrade for $49 there is way to get it free but what about the $15 upgrades offered by OEMs? What about if you actually buy a computer that comes with Windows 8? Is Media Center included or do you have to purchase it separately?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Its unclear, but likely free. Media Center is end of life anyway.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

End of life? NO! It is beefed up and improved for Windows 8. It is not end of life. But Microsoft is charging for it for Windows 8 and it is not clear who can get it free and who is going to have to pay and how much Microsoft will be charging is not clear either.

I asked because it is a big deal to me. NO WAY would I want Windows 8 without Media Center! But if I am going to have to pay a lot for it then I want to know so I can hopefully order a new computer with Windows 7 before Microsoft releases Windows 8 and the OEMs start putting it on all machines.

MSeng

join:2000-07-13
Ork

MSeng

Have you read Sinofsky's blog post on WMC in Windows 8 yet? Perhaps it will answer some of your questions.

FAQ - DVD playback and Windows Media Center in Windows 8
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Thanks! I recall reading the first part of that blog post in the past but I didn't recall the latter part of his post and I never saw all those comments until now either. I'm not particularly interested in DVD playback but in the TV aspects of Windows Media Center.

I'm planning on getting this »cetoncorp.com/products/i ··· -4-pcie/ and a cable card and tuning adapter from my ISP/cable company. I detest set top boxes (can't use my Samsung clicker with one) and the fact that I would be forced to rent one at every increasing prices from my cable company. Infinitv is a great solution but it requires Windows 7 Media Center.

I think Sinofsky is wrong to say everyone is moving to streaming via Netflix, Amazon, Youtube and/or Hulu Plus. My ISP is already AGAIN trying to force bandwidth limits on us which would severely impact streaming if they are successful (huge outcry from last attempt didn't deter them from trying again now). Then there are many of us who can't afford 50/5 tier in order to be able to stream without constant buffering. I upgraded my standard tier a week ago to solve this problem (not to anything like 50/5 though) but I see no improvement. I think something like Infinitv is the better answer.

If Windows Media Center in Windows 8 will have no improvements (no support for Blueray when many are getting Blueray optical disk on new computers) then I see no reason to get Windows 8.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

As I recall, there was word that Microsoft disbanded the eHome group quite some time ago. Therefore there was never reason to suspect that there would be any improvements in the Windows 8 version of Media Center. In fact this is why many suspected that Media Center would be omitted altogether.
said by Mele20:

If Windows Media Center in Windows 8 will have no improvements (no support for Blueray when many are getting Blueray optical disk on new computers) then I see no reason to get Windows 8.

Your echoing what many people have said with or without Media Center bing a metric.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

There is a reason to do the OEM upgrade though. We have another thread here going about Dell and whether or not you can somehow get a reinstallation disk for Win 7 from them or not. We are waiting for someone who tried to order one to report what Dell sends. The same crappy situation will exist when Dell and other OEMs start selling computers with Windows 8 installed.

With the OEM $15 Windows 8 upgrade one gets a DVD Windows 8 Pro upgrade disk for an additional fee if one so desires. That is great considering the garbage junk that the OEMs are providing now instead of actual Windows 7 reinstallation disks or Windows 8 reinstallation disks once that OS comes on new computers.

So, the way to go if you want Windows 8 is to buy a Win 7 computer and then do this upgrade being sure to order the Window 8 Pro DVD from Microsoft.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I suppose that could be important to some users.

Personally I prefer to build my own, although I do buy some OEM systems such as laptops and tablet PC systems.

My route to Windows 8 will likely be through a Technet subscription at about ~$175 USD. I can only hope that additional Microsoft software available at the Microsoft store will also be available via Technet,…..such as the Media Center add-in. I think I already have all the Windows 7 licenses I want.

Razzy12345
@rr.com

Razzy12345

Anon

I heard the Media Center add-on cost $20. I really hope MS will include MC on future versions past 8...
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy

Oops~ anon post 4 the win

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to Razzy12345

MVM

to Razzy12345
Well again I am hopeful that the Technet subscription will also cover things like the Media Center pay version for Windows 8. I don't see why Microsoft would omit it but we will see.