share rss forum feed

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

[E-mail] Email Delivery Delay

My wife sends out the occasional email blast from her Comcast account to about 400 people and it usually goes through without issues. Two days ago she sent one out and received back around 20 delayed email notifications from Comcast. All of the destination accounts are Gmail accounts. This morning there are still a few emails that haven't been delivered (she continues to receive notices from Comcast about delayed delivery for these emails).

Is anyone else seeing any issues in emails from Comcast to Gmail being delayed? Thanks.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I am having the same problem sending my son emails who is also a gmail account.
I just got a delivery status notification that the delivery is still underway after 10.9 hours.
That only happens with anything going to gmail.
Tried it from my ipad which is comcast email to my Droid which is gmail, same results.

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL
reply to Oregonian

Is her account residential or commercial? If it's residential she may be surpassing a threshold they have set to limit SPAM.

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

It's a residential account but she has been doing this for at least a couple of years with no prior hiccups. We break up the emails into groups of 80 or so to keep under the single email threshold of 100 recipients that Comcast imposes.

I'm thinking this is a delay in delivery of email from Comcast to Gmail. At first, she was receiving notice that about 12 emails had been delayed. She gets another set of notices every 6 hours or so and, each time, there are fewer and fewer emails listed as being delayed so it appears that they are slowly being delivered. At the latest count it was down to only four emails which had not been delivered and it has been about 52 hours since the initial email was sent.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11

What, exactly, is the error message; is the failure between Google and Comcast (i.e., "While talking to Google they blew us off")?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by NormanS:

What, exactly, is the error message; is the failure between Google and Comcast (i.e., "While talking to Google they blew us off")?

Here's the message:

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients is still underway after 48.9 hour(s):

* a**********9@gmail.com

Will keep trying and contact you if the message can't be delivered permanently."

I have hidden the email address above - in the actual message it shows the entire email address. There is one message fior each of several Gmail addresses although as I mentioned above the list is getting shorter so some of the emails must be being delivered.

The message is from "mailer-daemon@comcast.net".

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

I have seen that kind of notification if the receiving inbox was full, but the server returned a temporarily unavailable status instead of just totally rejecting incoming mail.

With Gmail's storage capacity it is unlikely that the Gmail inbox(es) involved are actually full, but perhaps the recipient(s) have forwarded their email to another provider, and the final inbox(es) is(are) full.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Jordan_Ro

join:2009-02-09
reply to Oregonian

Hey Oregonian,
We did notice slowed delivery to Google address. At this point, mail appears to be flowing normally, but there may be a few lingering messages in queue. Please reply back if you don't see this cleared up within the next few hours.

Wayne99021
Premium
Mead, WA

I am still having trouble with comcast to gmail.
Got one that's been hanging for 27.6 hours.
So something is still not right.
I am only sending one email.

Jordan_Ro

join:2009-02-09

We're looking into it. It looks like the issue is clearing, but some messages are still being stubborn. If it's appropriate, can you resend the message? We believe that any new emails will go through without issue.

Wayne99021
Premium
Mead, WA

Thanks Jordan.
I sent the message again and it went through OK.

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
reply to Jordan_Ro

So far this morning the issue seems to be resolved. I'll post back if she gets any more messages about delayed delivery. Thanks.