Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

What is the current best DPS Rogue spec

Not asking for specific talent point distribution, just which is best for DPS. I'm currently Subtlety and feel embarrassed about my low DPS.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.ht ··· tor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
kudos:13
Combat.

All three specs are capable of putting out acceptable numbers in most situations but I believe Combat is number one overall and certainly the easiest to play.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to Kilroy
If you're talking PVE, go combat with a slow MH axe/sword/mace. This gives heavier sinister strikes and revealing strikes. Unless you snag the pre-legendary dagger sets. They give a bonus to both strikes to make them viable for combat.
--
He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
reply to Adalicia
Sub is king (yes, I'm talking PvE... that's all I talk). In the fights where you can't use backstab... combat edges sub out.

edit: while we shouldn't be talking about trash fights... combat is clear winner there.

qualitybobby
Premium
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY
reply to Adalicia
Pretty much. Played perfectly, all 3 specs are pretty close to each other, but there are fights (ultraxion) where you can't get behind which pounds sub and hinders assass with the lower expertise.

Sub is good for Morchok with the reduced aoe damage you can just stand in and pound, Hagara with shadowstep and shadow dance for the phase change damage bonus, Spine for the same on tendons.

The only fight I use mut spec for is madness, for the FOK and spellweaving for bloods, my daggers proccing a ton more often, and glyphed crippling poison for the FOK slow on the bloods on the last platform.

You really could use whatever spec you want/are best at on any fight and you will be fine though.

If you are talking about MOP though, at least through what I've seen in beta, it's all combat, all the time. Mut spec is astonighingly energy starved, and sub no longer has prep/shadowstep, and hemo is no longer on sanguine vein.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
which is why new baby rogue is com/muti, sub is just crap in pve in Mists. who knows what they will do by the end of the expac but for now, thats what my guy will be.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
If you say you burned my map, I'll nail your tits to the table!

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Kilroy
Then I guess a lot of my problem is tanks who feel the need to dance around, taking me out of backstabbing position. With LFD I have had way too many of these lately.

Since Subtlety is okay, what's a good PvE boss rotation? Since this is like the seventh toon in the rotation I'm not as comfortable with it as I could be.
--

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
if the tank is going to move the boss use rupture, keep bleeds going as long as possible
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN
said by cymraeg:

if the tank is going to move the boss use rupture, keep bleeds going as long as possible

Unfortunately you don't find this out until it has already happened. I've been amazed at the number of terrible tanks I've had to run with and PvP DPS that feel we should carry them.
--

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
save step for any movement, youre sub stealth in use sprint if you have to before the tank even gets to the boss, step hellps with the wtf moments when tank decides to run away
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN
said by cymraeg:

wtf moments

Seems like I find myself saying WTF more and more these days. You tell them what to do and they do anything but.
--

Jodokast

join:2012-05-10
reply to Kilroy
Please dont trash talk a Tank, it really is annoying how dps will do that so much. if YOU think YOU can do better, then YOU should roll a tank and be the tank.

I play dps, heals and tanks, and as a healer or tank nothing annoys me more then DPS making comments on how they can do better as a tank. so one more time...

If YOU think YOU can do better as a tank, YOU be the tank!

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
lol, Kilroy is a tank, that is why it bothers him so. i know the feeling.

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
reply to Jodokast
You say that like you get comments all the time about how bad you are. Maybe its because you really are bad? I know when I tank I never hear anything negative

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Jodokast
said by Jodokast:

Not trying to advocate player bullying, but many players may have one or several tank toons and felt like going DPS. Rude is never acceptable, but tanks should also show the same respect. If there is advice given in either direction, a polite approach will typically garner better results than typical group banter, and just may be for the better of the group.
--
I am stating my opinion. Obviously you don't like it. Honestly, I don't care.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
reply to Jodokast
said by Jodokast:

Please dont trash talk a Tank, it really is annoying how dps will do that so much. if YOU think YOU can do better, then YOU should roll a tank and be the tank.

I play dps, heals and tanks, and as a healer or tank nothing annoys me more then DPS making comments on how they can do better as a tank. so one more time...

Most tanks are keyboard turning retards who found it too hard to do anything but just stand there and take a hit. They don't care about anything except TWO stats, be it Mastery and Dodge, or Parry and Dodge.

there is no thinking involved. and when they find those wierd heiroglyphs on their keyboard (W,A,S,D) they go nuts and just press to go anywhere.

When I want to just zone out and faceroll, I play a tank. And yes, I tank on EVERY tanking class and outgear your main with my alts.
--
Good evening!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Jodokast
said by Jodokast:

Please dont trash talk a Tank

I will happily "trash" LFR tanks when they're ignorant and refusing to take advice. Tanks these days think they're god's because they're in the minority, refusing to take constructive criticism and see it only as "trash talk" - they're only hurting themselves.

No one complains about a good tank. If people are commenting, you're doing it wrong. It really is that simple, sorry.

Know the fight, pull appropriate sized groups - no one QQ's.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to mettachain
said by mettachain:

there is no thinking involved. and when they find those wierd heiroglyphs on their keyboard (W,A,S,D) they go nuts and just press to go anywhere.

I disagree.

Tanking takes skill and knowledge.

A bad tank can suffice for LFR. But you instantly recognize a tank that's aware of aggro, watches his healer, picks up new adds, manages cooldowns etc etc... it's not simply button spam in my... humble... opinion.

qualitybobby
Premium
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY
said by Snuffbox:

said by mettachain:

I disagree.

Tanking takes skill and knowledge.

A bad tank can suffice for LFR. But you instantly recognize a tank that's aware of aggro, watches his healer, picks up new adds, manages cooldowns etc etc... it's not simply button spam in my... humble... opinion.

QFT. A good tank knows how to position a mob, keep spawns taunted off of healers, when to use their cooldowns, everything you said.

A dungeon/raid is 100% faster and easier with a quality tank, and you can tell the difference usually on the first trash pull.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

I miss you.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Jodokast
I AM the TANK. That's kind of the problem. This is my eighth Alliance toon that I've geared to Hour of Twilight gear level, iLevel 380 or higher for them. I know I should be doing much more damage. So I don't know how much of it is my main hand iLevel 346 dagger and how much is me. I'm pulling 10K on trash and know I should be doing more. Bosses are more acceptable, but feel I should be doing 12K or better without a lot of effort.
--

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
reply to mettachain
"When I want to just zone out and faceroll, I play a tank. And yes, I tank on EVERY tanking class and outgear your main with my alts."

Just because you are in raid finder gear on a few alts doesnt make you geared :P. Now I can confidently say that MY alts def out gear your main and therefore my epeen is way bigger then yours.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
said by Vinceruos_t:

Just because you are in raid finder gear on a few alts doesnt make you geared :P. Now I can confidently say that MY alts def out gear your main and therefore my epeen is way bigger then yours.

than*

WTB Vinceruos_t's skill cap guide and how be like Dennis Rodman.
--
Good evening!

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
reply to Vinceruos_t
How's spine?

Faceroll ain't it?

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
said by JB:

How's spine?

Faceroll ain't it?

Quotation marks.

Pay attention to them.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
reply to Kilroy
that is close to par for sub in a 5 man, remember you arent a great aoe spec, so the loss of dps from packs even ones a boss may spawn is going to be overall lower, muti has fok damage that is way better and com has blade flurry, on stand and deliver fights you should pull away from muti, and be very close to com if not a bit better, with comparable gear.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Vinceruos_t
said by Vinceruos_t:

"Now I can confidently say that MY alts def out gear your main and therefore my epeen is way bigger then yours.

It may be, but mine is longer and stronger. How many alts are we talking about? I don't raid, tried but can't find a guild that fits my schedule that is active, that is as good as it gets for not raiding.

Here are my alts. I haven't played the Nazgrel set since before the Hour of Twilight dungeons were available, so that's why they only have the 378 gear. I also have a full time job and attending college, so my playing time isn't as much as I might have. I'm pretty much limited to weekend play.

On Lothar I have:

Meeleenda - Frost Mage - Level 85

Hidra - Marksman Hunter - Level 85

Fineona - Protection Warrior - Level 85

Thrinath - Subtlety Rogue - Level 85

Waif - Affliction Warlock - Level 85

Panedora - Discipline Priest - Level 85

Paindora - Protection Paladin - Level 85

Shareine - Enhancement Shaman - Level 85

Drina - Balance Druid - Level 85

Dreadfull - Unholy Death Knight - Level 85

On Nazgrel I have:

Deliar - Blood Death Knight - Level 85

Plethra - Protection Paladin - Level 85

Magnif - Frost Mage - Level 85

Tifta - Assassination Rogue - Level 85

Fino - Protection Warrior - Level 85

Hillgar - Marksman Hunter - Level 85

Sharine - Enhancement Shaman - Level 85

Walena - Affliction Warlock - Level 85

Drifta - Balance Druid - Level 85

Pairass - Shadow Priest - Level 85

--

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

2 edits
That's a lot of 85's... (Edited to appease Cymraeg)

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
Snuff reread his post mate.

oh and you have kinda lost your twat moniker Meta seems to be wearing the tiara.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
Cymraeg, I have commented the same as I always have, I'm not sure what you're upset about?

Killjoy knows I've questioned the amount of time he's played before...

Despite what you seem to be insinuating, my goal here has never been to be a forum "twat".